Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

A bit too late to influence BCB but to anyone close enough to visit there's an exhibition of BC paintings at Wolverhampton Art Gallery starting later this month: (details lifted from a W'ton Civic Society email) :-

EDWIN BUTLER BAYLISS:
POET PAINTER OF THE BLACK COUNTRY
WOLVERHAMPTON
ART GALLERY

19 JANUARY – 27 APRIL 2013

An exhibition of works by one of the Black Country’s most important and prolific artists, Edwin Butler Bayliss (1874-1950), will be on display at Wolverhampton Art Gallery from 19 January to 27 April 2013.
The son of a local ironmaster, the inspiration for his works came from the foundries and mines of the Black Country and the areas depicted in his paintings include Bilston, Moxley, Tipton and Wednesbury. His works have both local and national importance documenting the Black Country at the height of Britain’s industrial growth and his landscapes show how industry had a permanent impact on the local environment.
Butler Bayliss worked in a range of media including oil and pastel and the exhibition includes a number of his works that have never been on public display before.  He depicts the Black Country as a smoke-filled and dangerous place to live and work, often showing figures silhouetted against a dull, grey sky and ravaged landscapes with blast furnaces and chimneys in the background.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This is a google-earth type shot of the two buildings, plus some bits 'n' pieces that will be included.

post-7025-0-16817400-1357388817_thumb.jpg

This is a view from Bill's yard, through the demolished dividing wall, into the shell of WC's.

post-7025-0-28223300-1357388841_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

How times change indeed.

Trying to remember visits to the Fish shop, just four years after the "price hike" of decimalisation (1971) and as spiralling inflation was beginning to take hold is a little difficult.

However, "8 bob" for fish and chips and "7 bob" for pie and chips seems a bit pricey, especially from a van.

I was going on the few bits I could find on t' Internet, not a great lot of sites giving prices of fish & chips in 1975! these prices are just below what was quoted, the chip van that came to our village when Ah wer' a lad (Tuesday night, 8 o'clock) was priced about the same as most chip shops.

The rapid inflation came in the mid 70's. It was caused by a massive hike in the price of oil after one of the many wars between Israel and the Arab nations. I think it was in 1976, the year of the long hot summer.

According to one site the price went up from 50p to 60p between 75 & 76!

To complete the job. I would suggest a chimney for the stove and some lettering painted on the van.

Here are a couple of examples

http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/Fish-chip-van-took-battering-yobbos/story-12759981-detail/story.html

http://blackdownarchives.org.uk/2011/06/mrs-webbers-mobile-fish-and-chip-van-hemyock-square/

MUST have a well blackened greasy chimney on top.

Any body do smellyvision  DCC chips (oops sorry for the pun)

An absolutely superb job Paul :O  :O

Yes, it will get a chimney and it will be lettered, just not sure exactly how it will look yet.

Love the detailing in the chip van.  Of course, the ultimate Black Country chip experience would include orange chips.

Orange chips?

or even the pop man's lorry?

Cheers

Jim

Our 'Pop Man' had a Transit pick-up with a canopy over the back. It was from Lowcocks in Middlesbrough, I think this is an earlier one.

• RMweb Premium

Evening boys and girls.

Today was a momentous day. All the boards and all but one of the group were in the same place at the same time! We met up at my local village hall which wasn't quite as long as we remembered it...ooops. 

The purpose of the day was to:

1. Trial fit all the boards together.

2. Tie in the fiddleyards - height and track alignment

3. Work out the height of the fascia / lighting units

4. Work out the length and drop of the drapes

5. Fit the canal lock modules

6. See how all the subcontracted buildings fit together and what space is left

7. Set in John's tunnel mouth and canal bridge

8. eat some stew, drink some tea...

Photos to be added (Chinese has just arrived...) 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It seems to get vey steep as you've panned along the back...

I'm guessing the rectangular shapes are the place holders for the buildings - looks a nice little scene in the corner.

You're also going to need an awful lot of green flock powder !