Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Great photo's I am glad it all went well for you. I would of loved to of been able to see it in the flesh.

Now all I need to do is work out if I can get a scale 1/4 mile or so of 7mm in or house, garrden, street!!!

This layout has been very inspirational not only in quality but in the manner it has been constructed. Keep up the good work. I hope you will be exhibiting it somewhere on our next visit to the UK.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

And to 4mm scale thats 5.28 metres, lots of rail and wires

And lots and lots of:

Bottles of PVA

Sheets of polystyene foam

Tubs of lightweight filler

Rolls of scrim

Bags and bags of green stuff and 

Cans of spray glue

(Plus lots of screws to stick through the boards - sorry Geoff)

• RMweb Premium

That's a sawn off little runt of a water tower. If you want something substantial you need to be looking at Goole Water Tower:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/456235

160 ft high, holds 750,000 gallons and is the biggest in the UK. Its also situated next to a railway yard.

Good grief man, that's a little bigger than I had in mind!

• RMweb Premium

Nope, I didn't see one either Stu - must have been too subtle!

Well here's a side shot of the tunnel

post-6675-0-73323200-1360697257_thumb.jpg

A partial of the canal bridge

post-6675-0-00051700-1360697277_thumb.jpg

And a distant view of the canal bridge area

post-6675-0-56284800-1360697286_thumb.jpg

Could of sworn I took others but apparently not.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thought I'd done this last night, but John has just highlighted that I obviously haven't (or didn't press the post button!)

He's a few of Jason's building in situ.

post-6675-0-39082900-1360697712_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-84473500-1360697726_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-30627500-1360697703_thumb.jpg

Over the next few shows we'll be putting in the approach track, filling it with junk and growing some ivy / creepers over the rear. The site will look a whole lot more unloved and representative of the Black Country's forgotten pre-industrial past!

Thanks for your help Jason and the two days driving over the weekend at Donny.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Step by Step Project No.2 – THE TUNNEL MOUTH

The history behind the model:

The Grand Junction Railway arrived in the Black Country in 1837.  The Black Country Blues diorama assumes that our section of route was built soon after that date.  On the layout, the line emerges from a tunnel, before crossing a river on a five-arch viaduct and then continues on a substantial embankment, running alongside a short flight of locks on a canal branch.  The tunnel therefore is the first engineering feature on the left –hand side of the layout and is followed by a deep cutting.  We have assumed that the immediate approach to the tunnel required dwarf retaining walls to be built, which would have avoided moving lots more material from the cutting, with picks, shovels and wheelbarrows.

A step by step account of constructing this feature follows.

1. Using existing drawings of similar structures built on the London & Birmingham Railway and on site measurements from the top of Summit Tunnel, I produced a drawing for the tunnel portal.  (A Photograph of this plan appeared  in the November edition of BRM).post-10252-0-14314100-1360710157_thumb.jpg
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Quite rare to see that kind of ramshackle, un-colour coordinated and very everyday type of structure on a layout. Which is what makes it look real. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Like 1

Just an impression, not a criticism, I think the trackwork is too good.  My memory of non-passenger lines in the era was of rotted sleepers, dropped joints with clay slurry pumping to the surface, scars from past derailments, missing keys, no doubt all this is already on your to-do list.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I believe a small passage will appear between Millwards and Flavio's yard & wall, which will replace the current scene of the Chip van, but a phone box (with accompanying ivy-clad telegraph pole) would be a nice addition in the area.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

It was an absolute pleasure to drive BCB over the weekend, as well as staying over and having a few too many beers / Southern comfort ( :D ). Seeing the layout in the flesh after being (an albeit small) part of it was fantastic; the last time something I modelled that appeared on a layout was on Kendal MRC's Maidenhaste layout nearly 30 years ago, and that was a tiny patch of flock that I glued down with a splodge of lichen in the middle !

Hopefully I'll make Ally Pally and see the shed in it's advanced state.

I forgot to mention and it's probably not possible now but when I had finished the holes in the roof and was trying to capture a photo of it using my small lamp to avoid the flash, the rafters cast a fantastic shadow onto the floor of the cart section. I never did manage to catch a photo of it like that though.

Out of interest, what's left on the list to build?

• Like 1