Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

I notice you still have the tsunami wave at the bottom lock. Or is that from where someone has chucked a cortina in?

That's where the card hasn't been stuck down yet. The paint appears to have curved it. I'm sure a lock gate and a ton of varnish wil sort it out

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

Remember the seep holes in the new wall. They'd probably have made sure that there was a rubble base for drainage between the new and old walls.

Weep holes will be added. As a drainage layer I suspect they used old GWR locos hey Rob.

Right then, over the last week or so, I have been scouring the t'internet, and my books at home for pictures and plans of water towers.

It seems to me that they fall into two distinct types, these being the 'traditional' type (utilitarian) with a metal tank atop a metal framework  cross braced with the tank made up of individual panels, or the style where some long forgotten Victorian water works,, engineering company or architect wished to make a bold statement re their wealth and of course importance. These were often elaborate affairs, in brick, stone and block, with windows, gargoyles, slated roofs or cunningly designed domes, with the aim of defeating future modeler's attempts to copy them!

So, for the layout I have opted to go for the first, as I feel it would 'fit in' better with the layout as it seems to be developing.

One idea is to fabricate the model up from plastic sheet, H and I and T beam sections and wire, along with some tubing, glue and a bit of cussing thrown in for good measure.

I have roughed out a couple of ideas, just ideas and as I was doing so realised that the best thing to do when fabricating the model would be to produce 'templates' for the super structure, thus allowing any number or height of 'legs' to be built.

The following will give you a sort of rough, (very rough) idea.......

Edit: Hmmmmmm for some reason I cant upload word documents or piccies! :(

You could try the BWTAS website:

http://bwtas.blogspot.co.uk/

• Like 1

Something a bit more substantial maybe?

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2262638

Mike.

That's a sawn off little runt of a water tower. If you want something substantial you need to be looking at Goole Water Tower:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/456235

160 ft high, holds 750,000 gallons and is the biggest in the UK. Its also situated next to a railway yard.

• Like 1

I notice you still have the tsunami wave at the bottom lock. Or is that from where someone has chucked a cortina in?

I must own up to that being my fault. I'd cut the card for the bottom section of the canal surface and tried slapping it down whilst Andy and Nigel were still in the middle of building the fancy bits so it was just an approximation to be trimmed back when they'd finished. Speaking to Chris yesterday the canal surface has a bit of unwanted waviness in it (even after the PVA dried) so I may be re-surfacing that with plasticard in due course. I think Nigel managed to get his hand sprayed as I was coating the card with general muck colour as he continued to work on the lock such was the overlap of duties last Sunday.

The backscene should hopefully be done in time for next weekend too (a long tale of the wrong sort of weather/sun/trees), the printer kindly did a test shot at full size (it's almost 9.0m long!) which means I've made some changes which he can hopefully incorporate in the final piece.

BCB_mock-up.jpg

• Like 9

Absolutely bostin job Arthur.

You can only guess how much inspiration your thread has provided, and I am impatient to see the beast in action.

One question for you Arthur - when you were satisfied with the motor gearbox assembly, how was the unit fixed so the motor sits horizontally please ?

Great stuff

Edited by Phil
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

Being that I model in 7mm and to some extent blinkered to the outside world, I happened to stumble across your topic here.

And I would just like to say how grateful I am to you all for a most enjoyable afternoon reading all 18 pages of your topic, and which has saved me from a boring trip round the local garden centre by SWMBO  on such a dull grey afternoon.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the ray of sunshine.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

Being that I model in 7mm and to some extent blinkered to the outside world, I happened to stumble across your topic here.

And I would just like to say how grateful I am to you all for a most enjoyable afternoon reading all 18 pages of your topic, and which has saved me from a boring trip round the local garden centre by SWMBO  on such a dull grey afternoon.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the ray of sunshine.

Martyn.

Glad you enjoyed the thread - there's a fair few more in this topic area to keep you going for a while!

• Like 2

As threatened, pretty pictures of the Tennants Building...

First off, I've shifted the datum line approximately 5mm and reduced the size of the emergency exit:

post-123-0-12911500-1359909606.jpg

post-123-0-45391400-1359909616.jpg

I'm also just about done repainting the brickwork (brick by flaming brick), although not perfect, I think that it looks much better than before. I still have to make good a few places, but I'll do that after I've installed the windows and the outside piping (presumably electrical conduits on the original???)

post-123-0-58496200-1359909737.jpg

Alas, my sandpaper covered roof went and warped on me, so back to the drawing board there.... I also have to design the skylight and there I think I'll have to approach it like a hipped roof and calculate all kinds of angles, etc... So plenty to do even when the brickwork is finished.

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 11