Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

"Thomas Bantock & Co built mainly for themselves, a fleet which was shared with the GWR and having a fleet number system which encompassed both concerns, the last fleet number being 99 for a boat built in 1910.  They did build a few boats for private buyers and they certainly built some fully fitted long distance horse boats, but the majority of the boats they built were not ‘buttys’, as they are wrongly advertised nowadays, but were horse drawn day boats used on short haul work around the BCN, however they were built to unusually fine

lines for day boats.  By 3rd July 1895 they had built a total of 116 boats."

See here :

http://darley135.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/thomas-bantock-company-wolverhampton.html?m=1

Thanks Stubby

I had seen that site with does give some useful info but I am trying to find out more about their latter days and ultimate demise.

Just thought with all this assembled Black Country nous someone mught know more!

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As the cabin nears completion it's time to take stock of how it has gone.

My modelling history really is that. I started with Hornby clockwork round the bedroom floor and in 1958 graduated to HD 3-rail. By the third or fourth layout I was up to virtually a garage full. The available buildings in those days were mainly Airfix or Superquick, so most things had to be either kit-bashed or scratch built. That layout was dismantled for a house move and never really got going again, although I still have all the stock and it is still used occasionally.

Work and children filled most of my time after that and my modelling activities were restricted to a small layout built for our son around 1980. That lasted for about 20 years before it was getting too degraded for further repair. Since then I have concentrated on collecting, building, repairing and customising rolling stock. Last year a space became available so layout construction has just started.

When I was asked if I would like to do a model of the cabin i was a bit apprehensive. Seeing what was being done by RMWebbers I thought how can i possibly match that.

I decided to go ahead and that where possible would use what I already had to hand. I think that all I have actually bought was a sheet of planking and couple of sizes of angle and strip that I didn't have in the box. The roof sheet came from the team. Tools used were very simple, a steel rule and square, scalpels, scribers, tweezers, saw, file, drill, paint brushes.

Hopefully I have shown what can be done for a relatively low outlay in money terms with a bit of patience and adapting the build to suit the materials and skill level available.

The model isn't perfect, but it is only about a 1.5" cube to be viewed at 2-3 feet. Many of the pictures I have posted show it close up at about 3 times life size on my monitor.

The build itself was very much trial and error. Bits had to be adapted to fit and strengthening added in places where I didn't expect. The main thing I think i would change is how I built the windows, but a discussion of that topic could fill a whole thread. As my confidence grew I found that I was making things rather than buying, like planking, guttering and downpipes. I was even cutting T-hinges from thin styrene sheet at the end.

By grasping the nettle I showed myself that I could produce a building from scratch given just an old photograph to work from, so will now be making the buildings for my emerging layout and not resorting to buying in ready made stuff. I'm now going to tackle some signals. You never know, the next layout already in my head might have hand made track in P4 as well.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

That's a great story, Eric, about a superb, carefully detailed model that (as we all know who have been following the thread) is based upon a prototype with a real history.

Reading your post 52, I think/hope that you've enjoyed the whole project and I'm really looking forward to adding the cabin alongside the Black Country Blues sidings.

I'm also pleased that our project (dare I say) inspired you to have a go at building what we can see, rather than just using what we can buy.

Thanks very much from the team for making such a super little cameo for the BCB project.

All the best,

John.

PS: I don't think we've got any signals yet either! 

• Like 9

Great stuff Eric - a very very creditable effort which I shall look out for when BCB is unveiled to the public in the Midlands (Csan't make Doncaster).

I'll be really interested to hear more of your personal project - given there is a "duck eight" a rectangular tank and a coke hopper as a backdrop. Do you have a thread ?

Thanks for the inspiration

Edited by Phil
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Since its our first 'gig' at Donny in less than two weeks I thought i'd set up a thread to record the layout on its travels.

This year we are attending all three of the BRM shows at;

• Doncaster
  • Alexandra Palace
  • Peterborough

Come and see us, you may well be surprised just how far we got with this.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Some of these are magazine adverts, the Polski Fiat and the Chevette are trimmed to remove the main text.

Suitable adverts are proving hard to find, so I'm going with some made up ones suitable for the year. Still need to source beer ones...

Progress on the the main frames- they now all have a spike on the main post to enable easy planting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What is it with you lot and toilets ???

This is a 25ft ( real feet, not scale feet, Damian ) long layout, the only toilet is a less than an inch across.

Had the layout been called Black Country Loos I'd understand...

( It'll be at the front, just off centre to the right, not far from the sunken barge, near a car park).

• Like 9