Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Wowzer.  Now that's starting to look really impressive.  I'm starting to wonder what the team is going to do for an encore!  The project is now really getting to that snowball stage where everything's coming together quickly and I can't wait to see the buildings/canal going on.  Brilliant stuff.

Finish it !!!

A

• Like 2

Talking of Bantocks, as well as canal carrying for the GWR they were also road cartage agents all over the Black Country.

I have been trying to find out when they finally closed down. Anybody know more about them?

Regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

"Thomas Bantock & Co built mainly for themselves, a fleet which was shared with the GWR and having a fleet number system which encompassed both concerns, the last fleet number being 99 for a boat built in 1910.  They did build a few boats for private buyers and they certainly built some fully fitted long distance horse boats, but the majority of the boats they built were not ‘buttys’, as they are wrongly advertised nowadays, but were horse drawn day boats used on short haul work around the BCN, however they were built to unusually fine

lines for day boats.  By 3rd July 1895 they had built a total of 116 boats."

See here :

http://darley135.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/thomas-bantock-company-wolverhampton.html?m=1

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

You're right, of course, Andy.

The trackwork is extraordinarily beautiful......

Will it be visible to the ordinary punter from end on like that?

Best, Pete.

Unfortunately, Pete, only by special request. 

Because of the length in view to take that photo, I imagine that the shot may well only be possible without the backscene and light supports in place.  Andy took the full length shot as we were stripping down after the weekend's activities. 

The last shot with the viaducts is a more general "visitor's view" looking the other way, which will of course be improved after the backscene is included.

All the very best,

John.

Pete, could it be something to do with the fact that the rear corner of the layout is a 12" radius (ish) curve?

Possibly, I'm only seeing it an 2D, unfortunately......I had thought it might be something like seeing two supports on one side precisely lined up.

I like the "stick", there appears to be a dead sheep to the left of it and slightly towards the camera......... :drag: (the smiley is not the reason i'm seeing this).

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've checked the Subbuteo accessories and I found out they appear to be still producing and bringing out new items. There are several figures that would be useful for model railways such as police officers including a mounted officer. The only drawback is the thick bases but they can be removed.. 

• RMweb Premium

Another figure in the Subutteo range is a streaker! You have a choice of male or female and it comes with two shirt sleeved policemen in hot pursuit. Actually the two policemen are quite good models in their own right and clip on to a separate base.

• Like 1

STATUS REPORT

Things are progressing very slowly... I'm using Herr Sandsides' approach to creating the windows and I'm finding that [a] I can only do one or two windows at a time before fatigue and error start to appear and despite using a micropipette to apply solvent to the window bars in situ, there is still some leakage around the frames. Fortunately, the worst errors are not on the side facing the public. I'll persevere with this approach (although I might try strips of painted sticky label for the very thin glazing bars), but I'll be looking for other approaches for the other two buildings that I have to finish.

It also fortunate that the building will be "grotted up" and as we all know a good layer of "grot" covers a multitude of sins1

I'm hoping to post progress pictures by the beginning of February and my aim is to be able to hand over the completed model to one of the BCB lads in London in early March (all going well and all being well)

iD

1) ©BR; 1960 - 1968

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 2

STATUS REPORT

I've now repainted 3 of the 5 sides, brick by brick, and whilst less than perfect it is pretty much acceptable. As I complete a side, I then paint in the lintels in "concrete".

I've also raised the datum line by 5mm or so, as requested by Herr Spams. This leaves the emergency exit (which opens out onto the fire escape) looking distinctly odd. What I will do is to insert a 5mm high "concrete infill" which will [a] reduce the height of the emergency exit door to something better looking and represent where the fire escape is fixed to (they probably fixed the fire escape directly to the brick, but hey-ho, it's my "interpretation" and - besides - the fire escape will partly cover it).

HELP WANTED

I am NOT a happy camper when it comes to creating windows from plastic strip (see the Oldbury Road thread). And do not wish to follow that method when doing the rather more complicated glazing of the Tennants building. Glazing moreover, that can't be "grotted-up" to cover minor seepages or scratches - given the nature of the building (i.e. an office block).

Thus, can anyone help me out with creating some etches or laser cut windows for this building? Given the somewhat variable nature of the window apertures (even amongst those that should all be the same size), due to tiny variances in my cutting and finishing, any such window will need to have a bit of a "fudge factor" around the outside frames.

Your help is appreciated.

iD

Edited by iL Dottore