Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Some progress to report;

I used Railmatch Warning Yellow for the finish, airbrushed in several thin coats.  Once happy with the coverage and finish, the body was left to dry.  I then masked it and sprayed on gloss black where needed.  Between coats, the two components were put it into a plastic storage box and lived on the back of the Aga for a day to harden off the paint. Very handy with our current weather.  A thin coat of Johnsons Kleer was also airbrushed on to provide a gloss finish for the decals.

Here’s the body awaiting its wasp stripes.

post-6861-0-71005500-1359138053_thumb.jpg

The plan is to finish the locomotive in a livery similar to that in the second prototype photo, and as in Adam’s photo. It’s a BSC livery from the Rotherham area. I did consider using the Adam’s dad’s method of masking and spraying,  but I wasn’t confident that I could mask the stripes well enough.  I’ve previously finished a Judith Edge Hunslet in a similar livery;

post-6861-0-39555900-1359138031_thumb.jpg

With this, I had  followed a method covered briefly by Ian Rathbone, in his book “Painting & Lining”, who had, himself, finished such a locomotive.  The essence is to paint the locomotive overall yellow and use plain black decal sheet, cut into strips, for the black stripes.

Here is the footplate essentially complete, just needing its buffers, jacking points and some touching up.

post-6861-0-61117200-1359138062_thumb.jpg

I’ll post more about the method of applying these decal stripes when I’ve done the body.

TBC

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I am hi jacking this thread rather than start a new one. I make no apology.  All of the following are converted i9nto a more suitable period from the Airfix / Dapol passenger and platform set.  This chap started life as a passenger in a trilby and a long overcoat seated.  I have shortened his jacket turned his trilby into a flat cap and sat him on the box that is cut from the kits sack truck.

post-8894-0-35707300-1359147091_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The set is definatly short of women, at least young women.  This one has had everything done..  Head cut off and turned around. flowing skirt has been choped back to a mini dress. her legs have become her knee high white boots, she has lost her umbrella and hat.  post-8894-0-49315300-1359147681_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I gave the light skined chap a duffle bag (is that what they called them - flat bottomed cylinder with gathered top)

They certainly did. I've probably still got mine somewhere - together with my flared sleeved Stars and stripes T-shirt, multi coloured striped tank top,baby blue brushed denim jacket & brown (ye gods!) Oxford bags....!! Fashion victim indeed...!!  :biggrin_mini2:

keith

The set is definatly short of women, at least young women.  This one has had everything done..  Head cut off and turned around. flowing skirt has been choped back to a mini dress. her legs have become her knee high white boots, she has lost her umbrella and hat.  attachicon.gifpeople 004 v2.jpg

Would they be Kinky Boots????? :jester:

It would appear that there is some crossover with this thread and the on-going "HOT PANTS" thread in wheeltappers, as well as some of the discussions about young ladies in skimpy attire on Great Northern's "PETERBOROUGH NORTH" thread.

Asked one of my colleagues when the 'big' breweries started up in the Brum/Black country area. He said 1870s (if that's any use) He used to be HR Director of M&B and is now a prof.

And another thought about the pub's name. If it's a real dive how about calling it "The Fiddle" - that's a vile inn.

• Like 5

There's been an embarrassing interlude of tumbleweed in this topic hasn't there. I can sit and blame this, that or the other but the fact is that any serious progress on the cottages was stifled by prevarication over chimney pots, garden sheds and such inconsequential stuff. Now there's nothing like a deadline to make you panic so I did grab some time today to move the cottages on somewhat so I can test fit them on BCB this weekend and finish the sub-board on which they sit in time for BCB's first outing IN A FORTNIGHT.  :O

I will get round to doing a step-by-step on it but this is where the cottages are up to tonight:

CT1s.jpg

Not quite in focus!

Anyway I had a smashing email a couple of weeks ago from a chap (who I think may have been Googling his childhood) who grew up as a lad in the left-hand cottage and if the model does it for him then who am I to argue? He's given me lots of details about the dates of the outside toilets and coal-houses which helps with some of the back story. 

There's lots of minor stuff to do, some alterations, some replacements and some additions; the worst thing in my eye is the downspouts, Ratio's finest, which are crying out for something a little less heavy-duty!

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Did think about having horse flavour, but the Spams sort of took over....

Main frames all painted, just need to be trimmed and have locating pins stuck in

Sub frames all complete, just need sticking to the main frames.

4 large & 1 small billboard and poster combinations done, plus hanging attachment on the back, just need to add the owner's name.

1 more small billboard needs to be done, then others can be done as I find the right image.

• RMweb Premium

Right, it's been quiet from lastminutescenics.com..

The train room has been converted back to a bedroom for visitors this weekend, so I've decamped into the conservatory.

So, 8pm last night:
post-6675-0-49756600-1359194168_thumb.jpg

7am this morning
post-6675-0-32094800-1359194439_thumb.jpg

9am this morning
post-6675-0-45580900-1359194900_thumb.jpg

9.30am the board was in the back of Damian's trailer...possibly still a bit damp!

• Like 11