Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Would concrete be too modern? They were using it in domestic situations in the 70's - I remember my dad having a pre-fab garage put up on a slab of 'Ready-mix' concrete, with the frontage (about 30 square meters) also being put down at the same time. That must have been 1970-71, as I commandeered it to keep my rally car in after I passed my driving test in 1974 & it had been up for a few years by then (gawd I now feel old....!!) A couple of years later he decided he din't like the tarmac the drive was originally laid in (when the bungalow was built new in 1963 - can't have been posh enough??!!) & had that relaid in concrete too - I'm guessing that was around the end of the 70's, so surely they must have been using it in industrial settings way before that....??

But I think cobbles would be cool...!!

Keith

Edited by keefr2

Ah, I see. I now wish I'd taken more notice of the old industrial buildings I used to have to visit when I was working in the auto industry in the late seventies/early eighties. But I never gave them a second glance...but I must say I have no memory of ever walking (or parking) on cobbles. But this was in South Wales, so I guess they could well be different anyway.

A mix of cobbles & concrete sounds good though.....!

Keith

Edit: one memory I do have was the visits I had to make to pick up parts from a plating shop. Probably because it was like the realm of Hades in there. Big vats of evil smelling chemicals bubbling away, with horrible corrosive looking fumes eminating from them. I well remember the floor in there - it was just bare earth with drainage channels coming from some of the vats & running to a half pipe that ran round the perimeter of the building & then to the outside of the building (probably emptying into some unsuspecting local stream!) That floor sticks in my mind as you had to be really careful where you were walking, otherwise your shoes might melt....!! 

Edited by keefr2
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Chris, how about the Howard Scenics Granite Setts sheets that I am experimenting with? The come in A4 size, there is not too much relief on them but enough, they look better than the Wills stuff (in my opinion) and being card, can be painted with acrylics, watercolours, etc.

Here's a photo of a sheet that I am currently painting up. The bit to the right is for gutters, etc.

Cobbles007.jpg

• Like 2

Would concrete be too modern?

Concrete has been in use since Roman times (and their "recipe" for waterproof concrete - which has lasted for > 2000 years - alas has been lost).

If I recall correctly, building with concrete in the UK started to take off in the 1920s, so it may be feasible to have a concrete surfacing...

iD

The Anchor at High Offley gained a certain notoriety for mildly inebriated people who would discover that the path gets quite steep near the towpath and, unless there was a handy boat moored there it wasn't unheard of for a splash to shortly follow their departure from the pub at closing time.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I used Wills with Wicks Ready Mixed interior filler.

That clip of The Gaffer showed a typical yard, but an old building, presumably built when hosses were the motive power, would have a yard floor of a suitable covering.

• RMweb Premium

The Anchor at High Offley gained a certain notoriety for mildly inebriated people who would discover that the path gets quite steep near the towpath and, unless there was a handy boat moored there it wasn't unheard of for a splash to shortly follow their departure from the pub at closing time.

The remote pub in a field where they served the beer in Jugs???

• RMweb Premium

I didn't think the frames would be on the walls at all.

This is a quick cross section view :

attachicon.gifbillboard_x.gif

Is there going to be a bank behind the wall ?

Nope, no bank, the road here sits on retaining walls.

Looking at the images of the modern one on London Road, Derby, I think you'll also need bracing. Probably something like the diagram below - which is pure guesswork, but sensible structurally! 

post-6675-0-27074600-1358352922.gif

Anyone have any photos round the back of one of these freestanding hoardings?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember the weekend we traveled half way around the country to find a pint of Ansells Mild...and then regretted it!

Can't have been that bad if you are having difficulty remembering it.

I was not thinking of Ansell's but something more Black Country such as Batham's or Banks's.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

IIRC in the days of my youth (stop laughing at the back) such hoardings were set back from the edge of the public highway by about 3 feet. One I remember in particular behind a wall had chain link fencing laid horizontally between the wall and the hoarding roughly at pavement level to stop small boys and drunks falling down the ten foot drop, this was inevitably covered with litter.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

From first hand research undertaken on many canal holidays, I can reassure our readers that there are many, many pubs right next to canals. Oh, and there are some very interesting / downright dangerous access routes to get to and from them too! As I said, extensive first hand experience....

How many times did you fall in?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete,

I hadn't thought about that yet.  (Thanks for the idea).

But you're right, the two ends of the drapes could be held vertically behind the pillar with velcro strip.

All the best,

John.

my mum is not impressed with the thought of fudging anything but now I know there is a 6 inch piller the gap is so small I can see that it can be added to the fiddle yard drapes.

Spoken to mum, she's got it !!!!

A

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As requested, a sketch of road height dimensions :

post-7025-0-74557400-1358363636.gif

From the left : 

- 0 - left hand end

- 63  -left side of office door - base of stone threshold (to be added) -  20mm

- 90 - left side of disused door - threshold higher than floor - 23mm - floor to be at 21mm

-111- right side of left pillar - yard height 21mm

- 168 - left side of right pillar - yard height 21mm

323 - left side of bricked up door - base of threshold - 26mm

395 - end of wall / start of outer yard - yard height 28mm

415 - end of outer yard - yard height 28mm

Overall length - 415mm

Rise from 20mm to 28mm - left of office door can drop to 15mm if required

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The only really critical height is the main yard. The office door threshold is going to be a stuck on 'stone' - I can supply this separately (and overlarge) if required - provided the ground is level across the door way it will sit on the ground, and could be trimmed to fit.

The bricked up door could be slightly buried in the pavement (as per the real one), if the jump to the yard (2mm) is too much in the short distance.

Neither of the yards have any 'footings', other than the 3mm foamboard (& Wills sheet).

• Like 1