Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

A quick search on google images will show them to be all ways and shapes here's a few

attachicon.gif fie escape 1.jpg

[img=http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif] fie escape 2.jpg

[img=http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif] fie escape 3.jpg

I am sure the photos of the Fire Escape will remind many of the BCB team of the old SRC clubroom where in fact we fitted a 12inch to the foot version of simular staircase some years back.

• RMweb Gold

So. in anticipation of a queue for 'chippy night' tomorrow (friday) the menu (sounds way too posh for a van like this...) has been put out.

I've done a bit of Googling tonight to try and find out some prices, all was a little vague but a rough estimate is below.

Fish and Chips  40p

Pie and Chips    35p

Pie                     30p

Chips                   5p

Peas                    3p

Bread & Butter     2p

Tea                      3p

They had to sell pies of course...

post-7104-0-48468300-1357251574.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I am sure the photos of the Fire Escape will remind many of the BCB team of the old SRC clubroom where in fact we fitted a 12inch to the foot version of simular staircase some years back.

Yes, I seem to recall it held the building up Tel!

• RMweb Gold

What I meant to say was that if there is a limit to space between WC's and the tin shed, that's fine, it'll mean that the littlle scene is hidden unless viewers know where to look.

I've added the internal supports behind the front wall for the roof frames. I'm now cladding the inner rear wall to match.

• RMweb Premium

How times change indeed.

Trying to remember visits to the Fish shop, just four years after the "price hike" of decimalisation (1971) and as spiralling inflation was beginning to take hold is a little difficult.

However, "8 bob" for fish and chips and "7 bob" for pie and chips seems a bit pricey, especially from a van.

A "bob" was a shilling = 5 new pence and a "tanner" was a small silver coin worth six old pennies, translated into two and a half new decimal pence. The half-a-new-penny was roughly equal in monetary value to one old penny and the working class didn't give up a penny that easy in the early seventies.  For example, Embassy fags got hiked rapidly fron 2 Bob (2/-), to 2/1d, to 2/3 just before decimalisation and it caused a lot of people to change to a cheaper brand.

"Give us a fish and six", or "give us a fish and a tanner's worth" = Give me a fish and a small portion of chips, in late Sixties speak.  Now, I think that this got hiked by decimalisation to "fish and a bob's worth", but how much was the fish?

True that by the end of the Seventies, everything was more like three times of the price it began the decade, but the rapid rises in costs occurred in the latter half of the 70s.

Away from the doom and gloom that is post-war British history, that's fantasic modelling Paul.  I love the van and can almost smell the pies from here!

I hope you guys don't mind a bit of 'thread drift' but the Oss has been recently found on my bed!!! 

Courtesy of my (new) GF who is a bit of a Pony and Oss nut she decided her (unnamed at the time) huge stuffed Oss needed a name.. so inspired by this thread.. said Oss is now officially called 'Oliver Oss'

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The rapid inflation came in the mid 70's. It was caused by a massive hike in the price of oil after one of the many wars between Israel and the Arab nations. I think it was in 1976, the year of the long hot summer.

• Like 1

To complete the job. I would suggest a chimney for the stove and some lettering painted on the van.

Here are a couple of examples

http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/Fish-chip-van-took-battering-yobbos/story-12759981-detail/story.html

http://blackdownarchives.org.uk/2011/06/mrs-webbers-mobile-fish-and-chip-van-hemyock-square/

• Like 1

Don't forget we had the Cod War with Iceland, and the new EC agreements on fish quotas that put prices up. Also around the same time, the weather played havoc with farmers crops of potatoes (allegedly) putting up the price of chips too. I seem to recall all this happenning in the 70's

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure decimalisation did contribute to inflation in the early 70s. As an impoverished student I noticed that no prices were rounded down to the nearest New Penny, only ever up! I don't recall the price of chips though, I rarely had them.

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought, I've seen no mention of the electrickery for this layout; whether it's DC or DCC, who's doing the wiring / control panels / signalling control, etc - I presume someone is tasked with this... ?

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought, I've seen no mention of the electrickery for this layout; whether it's DC or DCC, who's doing the wiring / control panels / signalling control, etc - I presume someone is tasked with this... ?

What you want it to work too?!

The layout is DCC and EM gauge. Control will be by Gaugemaster with Cobalt point motors on point levers. Geoff has recently completed laying the last rail on the mainline and just has around 6' left on the industrial branch once he's fought with fitting the industrial overbridge. John has ballasted most of what Geoff has laid. Geoff has soldered hundreds of droppers onto the rails and they are being attached to their respective power districts*. There's a chance that we may see somethng move tomorrow when the layout comes together for the first time.

There is a trackwork thread that was started a while back but Geoff has concentrated on getting the track laid / wired rather than spending eons one-finger typing updates on here! He's been recording all the steps on his camera and I'm sure there will be a surge of posting activity once the Doncaster show deadline has passed.

Ah the joys of building a layout to a short deadline, in full public view, with the builders spread to the four winds.

* I know very little about DCC, so I'm sure Geoff will correct the above statements If it comes to light I'm talking rubbish...

• Like 1

Be careful with that cutting disk, 37521 could have a nasty accident...

Are you bringing the DCC controllers over tomorrow?

Thought that "dremel" like device was off the road

• RMweb Premium

Oh, it's DCC - that'll just be the two wires then - simples !

Do the buildings need to be EM gauge too ?

Just the toilets Stu...

You mean I have to wire it, I thought it was going to be clockwork

As Stu says, DCC is easy, just two wires...

• Like 1