Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Guest jim s-w

Good work Paul

Its worth rubbing the vehicles across a bit of sandpaper to flatten the tyres a bit, makes them look heavy. Also be careful you dont overdo the angled front wheels, vehicles have their wheels pointed straight the vast majority of the time. The angled wheels thing is a bit of a modellers cliche.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim, yes they all get the wheels 'flattened' but not too much, studying photos show only a little 'flattening'. I do it a bit like this, holding the wheels and slowly moving sideways.

post-7104-0-89564200-1355653072.jpg

The wheels on the van are a bit extreme but this is how it arrived from Mark, I thought they might be damaged if I removed them so left them alone, it will have to be parked in a tightish spot.

So, back to the lorries...

I've made good progress on the Ford, it's had mirrors and been weathered, it looks a bit old and grubby, I'm going to try and dent and rust the front bumper a bit, it will get wipers when the glazing is re fitted. I also added the FORD to the front grille using transfers from an LNER wagons sheet.

post-7104-0-10986200-1355646710.jpg

Next in line is a Bedford HA van, this is a resin and whitemetal kit that Mark had started, don't know whose kit, it's quite a good kit with some excellent etched details, the only problem is the chassis casting seemed to be a little short, a bit of tweaking and moving the rear wheels back a bit and it seems ok. It's painted red but it won't be a Royal Mail van, wanting to keep away from that cliché.

post-7104-0-59853200-1355646719.jpg

The Bedford is a TPM kit. I think Bernard late did them in resin. As you say, very nice little kit. The Ford D, on the other hand is a very, very poor representation of the real thing on a host of levels. Most of the Base Toys lorries are 'impressionistic' at best, but I'd rate the D as among the worst along with the LAD which is a right old melange of diferent versions. I guess the prototype for your lorry would be the medium weight version and there's a host of photos of the real thing here:

http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p431379483

Note the spacing and size of headlights, the repesentation of the corrugated front panel which should come round the corners and doesn't, the shape of the mudguards, too little door in front of the wheels, the wheels themselves...

Adam

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Next in line is a Bedford HA van, this is a resin and whitemetal kit that Mark had started, don't know whose kit, it's quite a good kit with some excellent etched details, the only problem is the chassis casting seemed to be a little short, a bit of tweaking and moving the rear wheels back a bit and it seems ok.

Yes, it is the TPM kit

The angled wheels thing is a bit of a modellers cliche.

The wheels on the van are a bit extreme but this is how it arrived from Mark, I thought they might be damaged if I removed them so left them alone, it will have to be parked in a tightish spot.

Yep, my fault. In my defence, before BCB came along it was going to find a home in the yard on Foundry Lane, which would have involved a reasonably tight three point turn ;)

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

At the same time I'm on with a Leyland FG, a Base model, probably one of the ugliest lorries ever produced... (needs that roof sorting)

post-7104-0-78886200-1355646724.jpg

Theres a scrap yard in yardley wood where the owner still runs these.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark, thought it might have been.

Adam, yes it is poor but it wouldn't be worth modifying and as it is what I had (sent by Mark) detailing it up is the next best thing. The CCMV site has been well worn lately although I prefer period shots to preserved. The 'PD on a roll' series in Classic & Vintage Commercials magazine is a great source of inspiration.

Fair enough Paul, but the point was that it's fundamentally the wrong shape - we're talking a Playcraft baby warship level of wrong here - and I'm not certain it's worth even going so far as you have: it's a poor toy and not anything approaching a scale model and cannot possibly by to the standard of what looks like it'll be an excellent layout. There's quite a few good period shots on the CCMV site which balance, to some extent, balances Peter Davies's chasing of high end vehicles (nice though such things are/were) at the expense of the Fords, Bedfords and BMCs that were the norm.

Adam

Adam,

Be careful if you are criticising the cabs on D series vehicles, as someone who was selling parts for them at our local main dealers from '71 - '74 I can assure you that the cabs were not all the same unit. Dimensions of panels varied according to the type and style of the vehicles as did the physical overall cab size. D400 National Carriers artic units (which replaced the "mechanical horse") were different totally from the D800 or even D1000 units therefore panel sizes differed to accommodate this. At the same time cosmetic panels of varying styles were used simultaneously on alternative body permutations.

Wally

I'm aware of the differences Wally and that 'D series' is just a label covering a variety of different trucks with a similar cab. This is hardly an unusual feature of commercial vehicles of course. Based on looking at pictures of the various different sizes - they are all there on the CCMV pages and the differences are reasonably apparent) and - all I'm pointing out that the Base Toys version differs in shape, detail and proportion to any of them. It's probably closest to the heavyweight version - based on the heft of the bumper - but even then has the fundamental errors already noted. The point is that it's a rubbish starting point for a 4mm model of any of the different types of Ford D. It's up to the individual as to whether it can be lived with: my perspective is clear enough!

Adam

Edited by Adam

Guest jim s-w

I see where Adam is coming from

Not on the ford D cab specifically as I havent looked at the real ones at all but the thought behind his post. My own example is very similar when I turned my attention to road vehicles as in my first bus was this one.

WMT%20national%202%20in%20progress%202.jpg

to which Colin Peake commented

"I'll be brutally honest and say that for me the EFE National never really cut it, sorry Jim but I don't think you would accept these sorts of compromises in an item of stock for New Steet...."

He was of course 100% right and while 'ooh thats nice posts' are nice to receive they are not actually all that helpful. I have noticed that actual critique has all but dissapeared on RMweb these days but its oh so useful.

Cheers

Jim

PS - still havnet finished my second national!

nationa%202%20in%20progress%202.jpg

• Like 1

GET READY, SENSATION SEEKERS!

A never-to-be-repeated offer on a real, bona-fide 1974 Pirelli Calendar (note: comes with office and office manager)...

post-123-0-57540300-1355676644.jpg

Also thrown in at no extra cost, central heating!

post-123-0-70230700-1355676727.jpg

Plus, unlimited access to eye-opening secret and confidential files....

post-123-0-32183700-1355676905.jpg

All in a spacious, multi-functional space...

post-123-0-15761900-1355676964.jpg

(note. descriptions do not reflect true size.....

post-123-0-66612800-1355677055.jpg

Anyway, as promised that was the office (complete with a 1974 Pirelli Calendar picture [yes, iD, really does his research]) which will go into the Oldbury Road structure.

Alas, close ups are somewhat cruel but at normal viewing distance (and later, when viewed through the Oldbury Road building's windows), it is acceptable.

iD

• Like 7

Not another iD post? Within 10 minutes! What have you done to desrve it?

Is there no beginning to his talents?

Anyway, Oldbury Road has now been fully built and is ready for the paintshop (I'll be painting over the Christmas Hols, there are a number of techniques I want to try out for getting the right look to the brickwork).

As always, we have the obligatory three quarter views:

post-123-0-60039600-1355677471.jpg

post-123-0-85747800-1355677489.jpg

We then have a view of the chimneys and the funny wrap-round guttering seen on the original.

post-123-0-00240800-1355677565.jpg

Finally, a close up of the chimney work. These are separate items that have not yet been fixed in place. Once the building has been painted, then the roof will be fitted and trimmed to seat in the chimney, at which point the chimenys will get permanently fixed.

post-123-0-30359400-1355677714.jpg

Will now need to start cogitating about windows (have already done window boxes!)

iD

• Like 11