Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

How wide is the pavement in front? :onthequiet: As long as the toilet block is not in line with the gate and the lorry brakes are OK you should have nothing to worry about. :whistle:

Pavement width is down to Spams. The gentlemen's rest room will be at the other end of Warner & Cholmondy's building, end on to the canal, to show off all the detail...

As for backing the lorry inside, I still need a method of getting those stillages on & off the flat bed. I thought about an A frame on wheels, but maybe not on the cobbles, so a forklift of suitable vintage might be the best option. Quite happy to scratch build this if pictures can be found.

• RMweb Gold

Stu, I have one of the Base forklifts, I'll get it detailed and weathered. I think with such a small yard the lorry would be parked on the road/pavement and the forklift trundling in and out to load/unload.

Brilliant, Paul, thanks !

As a general question, are we peopling (?) our own areas, or will the be a major influx of residents once all the scenery is in place ?

• RMweb Gold

The wall is done !

Due to the need for the gentlemen's rest room to be added at the eastern end of the main building, there is only room for 3 arched windows, but that should be enough to give the signature look of the original.

It's used 6 different styles of scribed plasticard, and a smear of filler - piccys tomorrow in the daylight.

• RMweb Premium

There has been a bit of progress but it also leads to question time for the BCB crew, mainly Chris as he'll be the one planting the building.

As you can see, the main walls of the cart shed are now glued together (don't fret, more weathering will be performed on the walls ;) ) but before I can add the end of the open section, I need to trim and add the ground. The building is built to sit on a 10mm deep foundation and as such, the ground slots into this so to get the short stubby wall in for the open section, I have to lay the ground section first and then slot it into place. And so to the question:

If I leave the ground as a square (as it is in the shots), will that be fine for you to bed in and add any walls around it (I can provide the walls) as it strikes me that if I extend it out to the front and add boundary walls, then I may inavertantly dictate the exact orientation of where the building will sit. On the left hand side, I have cut the current ground section with the addition of a wall in mind, so that it would butt up against the end of the open section and run parallel to the outhouse section but then again, if I only make the wall as long as the ground section then once again, am I dictating the size and orientation of the yard and building?

Sorry to be a pain in the proverbial but I want this to be right :)

BCBProgress012.jpg

BCBProgress011.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Just found "The relationship between agricultural development and industrial growth 1660-1880: a case study of the Black Country - an MPhil; thesis from Birmingham University http://etheses.bham.ac.uk/3030/

Looks at historical developments

Quite an interesting read. Throwing a bit of fuel on the fire regarding the debate about where the Black Country begins and ends, I noticed that on page 4 of Stuart Russell's thesis he quotes Elihu Burritt who, in 1869, wrote that the Black Country is a circle of 20 miles in radius of Birmingham Town Hall. I grew up in Perry Barr (3 miles North of the Town Hall), so does that make me a solid Black Country lad or must I still be considered a mere Brummie?

Edited by PaternosterRow

I noticed that on page 4 of Stuart Russell's thesis he quotes Elihu Burritt who, in 1869, wrote that the Black Country is a circle of 20 miles in radius of Birmingham Town Hall. I grew up in Perry Barr (3 miles North of the Town Hall), so does that make me a solid Black Country lad or must I still be considered a mere Brummie?

It seems uncorroborated facts pre-dated Wikipedia then. ;)

You'll certainly be more Brummie than Yam-Yam in Perry Barr!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

Just hack about some Corgi ones - be warned though, it can get a bit addictive!

white%20van%20men.jpg

Also as mentioned earlier, a brummy fleetline from the Britbus Atlantean

brummy-fleetline.jpg

Cheers

Jim

I didn't fancy the idea of hacking the Corgi Transit but it looks like I may have too. I attended the Brentwood swap meet today and obtained an example of the Oxford model only to find that it is really bad. The bonnet and front wings are OK but the cab looks nothing like a Transit, on the model the rear corners of the roof curve down to the B pillar which itself slants forward and the cab is too short and the doors have a distinct curve to the top. The good things are the wheels and the interior which are very good.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

you dont have any pics of it do you?

Cheers

Jim

Not any that show the errors, I don't have any means of photographing the one that I have. I have also noticed that the glazing appears distorted, perhaps I have a 'duff' one. I also obtained other of the new releases by Oxford, I'll pop a review in the road vehicles sub forum.

• RMweb Gold

So, back to the lorries...

I've made good progress on the Ford, it's had mirrors and been weathered, it looks a bit old and grubby, I'm going to try and dent and rust the front bumper a bit, it will get wipers when the glazing is re fitted. I also added the FORD to the front grille using transfers from an LNER wagons sheet.

post-7104-0-10986200-1355646710.jpg

Next in line is a Bedford HA van, this is a resin and whitemetal kit that Mark had started, don't know whose kit, it's quite a good kit with some excellent etched details, the only problem is the chassis casting seemed to be a little short, a bit of tweaking and moving the rear wheels back a bit and it seems ok. It's painted red but it won't be a Royal Mail van, wanting to keep away from that cliché.

post-7104-0-59853200-1355646719.jpg

At the same time I'm on with a Leyland FG, a Base model, probably one of the ugliest lorries ever produced... (needs that roof sorting)

post-7104-0-78886200-1355646724.jpg

• Like 10