Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Apparently it gets into the grout lines and leaves them with an aged look, also providing you aren't too hard or rough it shouldn't scuff the surface. Might be worth trying on a test piece first to see the effect and level of rubbing required.

• RMweb Gold

Jason,

I think the mortar looks too clean and even. Looking at the last photo of the real building you posted, the middle part of the wall does have a light coloured mortar, but low down and towards each edge it is much darker, probably due to mould & vegetation and wind-blown soil.

Stu

• RMweb Premium

I always knew that the painting of the building would take more time than everything else but it's now hitting home just how much.

Having taken Stu's advice on board, I had a go at the dabbing method and it has changed the appearance, I reckon for the better, At some point (after picking out individual bricks), weathering powders will be used to blend it all in but here is a before and after at this stage. Better?

BeforeandAfter.jpg

Edit: Don't know where that bogie in the bottom left hand corner came from (well I do, my nose, obviously :D) but it is not a permanent fixture.

Edited by Sandside
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

What are the dimensions of the AEC (length, overall width, height )?

I'm trying to decide if the lorry would fit (partially) into the yard, and so if my gates / overhead sign are wide/high enough.

Ta

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Your welcome Stubby, I'm waiting for the Oxford Transit Mk1 car transporter* to appear in the shops. I feel a 'totters truck' coming on, to collect the scrap from the businesses you all are creating. (*Shorten wheelbase and fit dropside body.)

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1

Guest jim s-w

Hi Phil

Just hack about some Corgi ones - be warned though, it can get a bit addictive!

white%20van%20men.jpg

Also as mentioned earlier, a brummy fleetline from the Britbus Atlantean

brummy-fleetline.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w
  • Like 6

Great stuff Jim.

2nd from the left on the back row - what was the body from for that Jim, or is it a scratch build body. It's a cracker is that.

Also thanks for showing your fleetline. Pretty sure that is the way to go, and I know I have to do a couple of VRs that way.

Jim - any more thoughts on class 116s?

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

What are the dimensions of the AEC (length, overall width, height )?

I'm trying to decide if the lorry would fit (partially) into the yard, and so if my gates / overhead sign are wide/high enough.

Ta

Stu

Width 30 mm Length 90 - 100 mm.

EDIT height 32 mm

Just measured it and it is 36mm wide (over mirrors) and 38mm high. Length 100mm.

Edited by Worsdell forever
  • Like 1

Guest jim s-w

Great stuff Jim.

2nd from the left on the back row - what was the body from for that Jim, or is it a scratch build body. It's a cracker is that.

Also thanks for showing your fleetline. Pretty sure that is the way to go, and I know I have to do a couple of VRs that way.

Jim - any more thoughts on class 116s?

Hi Phil

Its the ABS kit (they do a mk1 front too). I have measured up and photographed a VR so when I do the production fleetline etches I might stick a VR version on there too (not that they are any use to me mind)

Re - 116s, my loco's to do list is getting quite sparse now, I need to make 2013 the year of the DMU.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

Hi Phil

Its the ABS kit (they do a mk1 front too). I have measured up and photographed a VR so when I do the production fleetline etches I might stick a VR version on there too (not that they are any use to me mind)

Re - 116s, my loco's to do list is getting quite sparse now, I need to make 2013 the year of the DMU.

Cheers

Jim

Fleetline / VR etches woohoo Happy Christmas !!!

Do you reckon a 3D printed all-in-one front, and maybe a 3D printed VR bustle too ? I really ought to try and learn CAD

The fleetline front could have the option of different etched panels below the screen for the small oblong grilles or not and the VR radiator grille.

Fantastic Jim. You are a star

• RMweb Premium

Gate is 55mm wide and posts are 45mm high, so plenty of room. However, the yard is only 82mm deep...

How wide is the pavement in front? :onthequiet: As long as the toilet block is not in line with the gate and the lorry brakes are OK you should have nothing to worry about. :whistle:

Hi phil

Theres a lot more differences between the fleetline and the VR than just the front :)

Cheers

Jim

Not so many JIm. There were differences with the indicators between earlier fleetlines in the 4xxx range and the later 66xx onwards. The earlier ones had the indicators on the corners above the cab windows the same as the VRs, whilst the later fleetlines had them down on the front panel near the headlights, like on yours. The rainstrip over the rear offside emergency door is at a different height on the Met Camm bodies compared to those built by Park Royal

But the basic bus body is pretty much the same apart from radiator grille at the front and the bustle at the rear - unless you can point out other differences

Here is the offside of a VR

Here is the offside of a fleetline

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Zp8NjQGVFW0/0.jpg

Here is the nearside of preserved fleetline 4613

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Leyland_fleetliner.jpg

Here is the nearside of VR 4413

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3553/3434781682_e760ec6e7b.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Leyland_fleetliner.jpg

Hope this makes sense Jim and readers