Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

I think I have sussed out the roof 'issue'. Look at the aerial photo and for the cart shed, the roof is not equal on both sides (something I had missed). Does that mean that the pitch differs (Surely it can't because of the hipped roof visible on the end view) or is the rear wall lower?

It is a head-scratcher.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just found the slider - didn't know about that tool, very useful Dave!

Top down GoogleEarth view 1999:

post-6675-0-48457000-1354833583_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-20340900-1354833873_thumb.jpg

2006 (Post fire)

post-6675-0-74491600-1354833968_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-44769700-1354834103_thumb.jpg

2011 (Gone)

post-6675-0-40305800-1354834177_thumb.jpg

The side of the building that faces the road could face the rail sidings, this would place the yard out of site behind the building and require road access also from behind (out of sight).

Yes it is a long building, just the right length! Need to play a bit with the width of the wider building but I've drawn a mock up and it looks well in the proposed location. All the different aspects of the 'pub' board are starting to come together nicely. View blockers, roads, bridge alignments, canal etc. Bit tricky doing an urban landscape compared to a nice bit of green stuff.

I'm guessing the size of the structure precludes outsourcing and postage though!!

• RMweb Premium

can I just say... whilst I and others have been musing over buses I had missed just how good that Bedford Flat Bed is.

Excellent work

Andy

Point of order Sir, Spams noticed it Sir, and commented Sir. Said it was very nice Sir.

• Like 1

Well, since we have a road bridge we'll need a bus.

I'm as lost here as the others are with TOPS codes! From what I gather though, neither my Birmingham blue & cream Fleetline or my WMPTE DMS are really suited. What is the best off the shelf model we can tweak to suit our needs?

Paul - apologies for the bus replacement service running through your thread!

If I were chief provider of PSVs to BCB for the year 1975, I'd be inclined to check out Jim Smith Wright's scribings about West Midlands Daimler fleetlines, then apply the Bristol bustle and Bristol radiator grill. There are two ways to arrive at the West Midlands fleetline - The Paragon kit and the bashing of a Britbus Manchester Atlantean

Jim started his thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=44480 and continued it into the new RMweb

The West Midlands "standard" fleetlines were built to a fairly standard design by Metro Cammell and Park Royal, and the only real differences were the front indicators moving from the extreme corners to clusters, and the rainstrip over the offside emergency door set at different heights. These buses had a standard Daimler / leyland bustle on the rear and carried numbers in batches from 40xx into the 42xx series, then some 45xx and 46xx numbers, then 6301 - 7000 with a break in the 67xx series.

Practically identical in appearance were the batches of 200 Bristol VRs which carried the same Metro Cammell body as the Fleetlines. The only real identification flags are the Bristol engine bustle at the rear of the bus, and the radiator grille at the front. Walsall's Birchills garage was home to many of the WMPTE VR fleet and they were seen in large numbers from Birmingham and Sutton Coldfield to Dudley, Cannock and Wolverhampton.

What would be really useful would be for an 3D printing expert to produce a one piece Metro Cammell front, to replace the existing "Manchester" front.

This the Britbus model http://www.showbus.com/models/gmtpegman.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking again, the pitch of the roof changes on the cart shed; it's subtle but it definitely seems to, and not how I would have expected it to. I like that what initially seems like an easy structure is more complicated when investigated further.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll ask about architects drawings for the rebuilld - the whole renovation got tied up with heritage folk, planners and listed building consent. It all took so long that the building nearly collapsed in the intervening period. Must admit when work started earlier in the year I thought it was being demolished.

• RMweb Gold

At the other end of W E Millward Ltd's yard was an older building, once owned by a firm of civil engineers called Warner & Cholmondley Ltd.

Know locally as WC's, the building was vacated then fell in to disrepair . Bill Millward negotiated the rights to use the resulting shell and removed part of the end wall that bordered his yard.

In the 1970s, the yard looked something like this :

post-7025-0-79828600-1354833399_thumb.jpg

What this view shows is the outbuildings at the back of the main office and drawing office area, which contained the heating boiler and the ablutions.

The main challenge with this building will be 'that' wall, the toilet area and the internal roof frames.

Don't expect any quick progress on this, I realy ought to finish the Millward office first.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Looking again, the pitch of the roof changes on the cart shed; it's subtle but it definitely seems to, and not how I would have expected it to. I like that what initially seems like an easy structure is more complicated when investigated further.

Oh, by the way, you read my mind and mirrored the building to suit the location!

• RMweb Premium

I figured that to keep the building in the same location as the prototype, all the viewer would see would be a brick wall, some slates and a few bits of corrugated iron

• Like 1

I think I have sussed out the roof 'issue'. Look at the aerial photo and for the cart shed, the roof is not equal on both sides (something I had missed). Does that mean that the pitch differs (Surely it can't because of the hipped roof visible on the end view) or is the rear wall lower?

It is a head-scratcher.

I don't think so - I think it's the angle of the photo - it's not a straight down view. You can see the walls on the 'top' side of the building, and not the bottom, so I expect the difference in width is a result of the angle of view (which I think places the camera some way off the top of the picture, so as well as looking down, you are looking down. erm, looking down from above, you are looking down the page, if you see what I mean).

On the other hand, having dissimilar sides to the roof could make sense - the ridge could be offset towards the open side, giving a lower back wall (cheaper to build), without loosing that much usable height inside. This would offset the hip at the end, but that would give it a nice 'feature'.

On a slightly different topic, consider carefully which wing of the building has the main roof - at the moment you have the cart shed roof being the main one - I would have expected the (fully sided) barn to have the main roof - it would be better able to support it...

I'm looking forward to what you can make of this Jason.

Edited by MichaelW
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmm.

Have seriously, seriously, overestimated the size of this building in the sketch-up diagrams, needs quite a bit of re-thinking so it looks right....

Chris, can I extend to 200mm long ???

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmm.

Have seriously, seriously, overestimated the size of this building in the sketch-up diagrams, needs quite a bit of re-thinking so it looks right....

Chris, can I extend to 200mm long ???

What does that take the length of your combined plot?