Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Right then,

Here's a couple of pictures of one of "Diesels in The Duchy's" fiddle yards.

post-8734-0-13908800-1354451877_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-07695500-1354451904_thumb.jpg

This is the basic concept i'm looking to use for Black Country Blues two fiddle yards.

As you've probably worked out, there is a main selector plate pivoted one end, with a smaller selector plate on top of that, pivoted in the same place. Three roads come off the main layout. The five roads off the main fiddle yard can be adjusted side to side to line up with the 3 roads. The smaller selector is for loco release and run round and accesses all five roads.

Improvements required for BCB;

• Solid top - I was trying to be smart with the DitD board keeping them open and light. the down side is that you are always concerned that the stock is going to fall off!!
  • Protection for transit - the DitD board travels as it is, i never got round to transit protection. It suffers for it.
  • All roads feed all roads. The two photographs show the limits of swing. as you can see not all 5 roads on the fiddle can align with the 3 incoming roads. I will have to alter the track geometry to achieve this on BCB's 6 roads into 2 roads.
  • Trestle legs to match the main layout
  • Beer Pump
  • Pork Pie dispensing machine

I'm building these outside in the cold today - such are the dealines.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

DAS

If you were making this what would be a typical height of the signal arm from the ground

I reckon all of them that I have ever seen were about the same height, that will probably be around 12ft 6" if the LMR worked on a similar logic to the WR (well you never can tell!!) . The Buxton ones might still be there and as there used to be some on the NorthWales coast Coachman might have some helpful pics for dimensions if Beast hasn't and I don't think any of my pics of them include a suitable reference object to estimate their height.

• Like 2

Don't worry John, I'm thinking of something more traditional like the one below for near Andy Y's cottages...

Interesting error in the brickwork, looks like the brickies miscounted on the left and ended up with a double row of headers. They got it right on the right, though.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Interesting error in the brickwork, looks like the brickies miscounted on the left and ended up with a double row of headers. They got it right on the right, though.

Nick

I hadn't noticed that, well spotted!

• RMweb Gold

Have slapped some paint on the 'concrete' to see how it looks...

post-7025-0-67474800-1354461459_thumb.jpg

It actually looks rougher in the photo than it really does, not sure why. I do need to run a piece of (don't tell Damian) sandpaper over it to remove some paint and bring out more of the under-colour, which might help with the bobbly bits.

Once the back wall and front walls & gates are on, plus some of the yard fittings, the floor should be less obvious and just 'there'.

• Like 12

OK Sports Fans...

Having returned from Warley with a very nasty case of bronchitis, iD has been fairly hors-de-combat this week. Still, thanks to the miracle of modern medicine (serious drugs! :danced: ) I managed to get down to the workship and sploshed some glue around. The SEF embossed card went on easily and I only had to do two bits of remedial work (a tiny triangular sliver of uncovered carcass needed filling in and I had to relay the lean-to front brick facing), which is pretty good going by my "cowboy builder" standards...

Thus by this afternoon, I had clad the Oldbury Road Structure with the SEF brick facings - Flemish Bond (main building) and English Bond (lean-to and wall). Here are some photos of the cladded carcass:

post-123-0-24403400-1354462539.jpg

And here is the detail of the join between the two structures with their different bonds...

post-123-0-30151900-1354462604.jpg

The SEF embossed plastic sheet is thin enough to allow for backlighting, which aids in cutting out the apertures....

post-123-0-64968300-1354462631.jpg

Which I have now started doing....

post-123-0-75222800-1354462652.jpg

I just have to take my time to ensure that I have the windows and doors all square. Then comes the fun bit: painting....

iD

p.s. if anyone is going past the Oldbury Road building, can you supply me with a guesstimate of the diametre of downpipes and width (not length) of the guttering. Ta, muchly.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Coming along nicely Flavio, it's quite exciting now looking at all these other projects progressing and the layout gaining bridges, track and ballast.

My guess on the diameter of the downpipes would be 4" / 100mm - so 2mm dia in model size. The rtr ones made by Ratio are 1.5mm dia and their guttering 3mm dia if this helps.

The common sizes of the cast iron sections probably originally used are on this website.