Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that John, makes me feel more confident in adding more equipment (a lathe is next...)

Below are the pre-painted gates & band-saw. The bottom edges of the gates need a bit of tidying.

post-7025-0-99757600-1354179697_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The 'No Man's Heath' route turned out to be a No Through route as we came across a police car blocking the road as we were just approaching the outskirts of Tamworth. This resulted in uncoupling of trailer, three point turn, recoupling of trailer and heading back a couple of miles to detour through Alvecote which added about 15 minutes to the journey. I finally got in at 1am having dropped off Wagonbasher and trailer in Stafford and then Old Gringo out to Gnosall before heading back across Stafford to Great Haywood. (thankfully I came in from the right side as the bridge under the Trent Valley was closed to road traffic for maintenance by a Network Rail crew!). A good evening though and worth the 1am arrival back!

• Like 1

There has been a lack of a thread on the trackwork and, seeing as Geoff has been going great guns on such items as plain track and pointwork, including a very handsome double slip I thought it was about time to bring people up to date. Here are a couple of photos of progress to date with the first board finished with trackwork.

The first photo was taken on my phone so apologies for the poor quality, however it shows the board as delivered to Old Gringo's with the trackwork completed.

The second photo was taken 7 days later after Old Gringo had done, what he describes as, a first fix ballasting.

post-8705-0-44014000-1354205545_thumb.jpg

post-8705-0-47561700-1354205622_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks Phil, I do have a pair of side cutters, so will have a go with those.

Meanwhile, the gates have been remade, using three layers of thin card, the planks each being added individually.

I've also made a band saw machine for the workshop ( then wondered if this was correct for a metal workshop ).

Paint for these will be added tomorrow then photographed.

I forgot to mention that you should not use side cutters to cut the actual components as this could distort them, it is better to use a knife or saw.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The photos don't do Geoff's work justice. I was just starting to pluck up courage to have a go at building track when this work of art lands at Chez Spams. Very nice, but off putting for me! Think I'll carry on with green stuff and buildings for a bit longer.

• RMweb Gold

A few of questions for the team.

1 - How is the cabin to be fixed to the baseboard? Do you need a downwards extension to plug it in?

2 - Colour scheme. The colours progressively changed over the transition years. I think the cabin was still Blood and Custard when it was demolished, but others got a sort of engineer's olive or black in later years. There's also the amount of weathering. Do you want a base colour and finish it when it is put into position?

• Like 2