Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Cradley Heath speedway was notoriously run-down in later years, which is fairly saying something in a sport which included such architectural gems as Long Eaton or the Old Gun Site at Iwade. There was a running joke in Speedway Star, concerning the periodic reports of vandalism or arson there - how did anyone tell?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the great response.

Here's some more photos from yesterday, please feel free to use them as modelling inspiration if you wish.

One for Stubby...

post-7025-0-88920000-1502092347_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Al.

(

Calm, calm, just...

post-7025-0-20362500-1502092282.jpg

)

Edited by Stubby47

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

How have I missed this thread before?  I was born in Sandwell and spent the early years of my life in Great Barr - is that slightly over the Birmingham border from the Black Country?  I need to get more involved in the debates in here!

Yow doe spake proper :P

How have I missed this thread before?  I was born in Sandwell and spent the early years of my life in Great Barr - is that slightly over the Birmingham border from the Black Country?  I need to get more involved in the debates in here!

Yow doe spake proper :P

I’m almost afraid to tell you that neither is in the Black Country......and Great Barr, not sure that even makes you a Brummie!!! :-)
  • Like 1

I’m almost afraid to tell you that neither is in the Black Country......and Great Barr, not sure that even makes you a Brummie!!! :-)

Now if Dave was born in Sandwell Hospital (as opposed to Sandwell which isn't really anywhere apart from a nature reserve - or maybe Dave was born down by the Swan Pool) which is just about West Brom he is just about a yam yam. ;)

Now if Dave was born in Sandwell Hospital (as opposed to Sandwell which isn't really anywhere apart from a nature reserve - or maybe Dave was born down by the Swan Pool) which is just about West Brom he is just about a yam yam. ;)

Well, there were two very well known musicians born in Sandwell Hospital: Robert Plant ((Led Zeppelin) and, believe it or not, Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzie), neither of them seemed to proclaim their Black Country origins.....

Sandwell- where’s that? Somewhere ranging from Cradley Heath to Oldbury/ Smethwick???

Of course, it all depends on your definition of the Black Country, which is disputed....

Edited by sp1

• 2 months later...

Well, there were two very well known musicians born in Sandwell Hospital: Robert Plant ((Led Zeppelin) and, believe it or not, Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzie), neither of them seemed to proclaim their Black Country origins.....

Sandwell- where’s that? Somewhere ranging from Cradley Heath to Oldbury/ Smethwick???

Of course, it all depends on your definition of the Black Country, which is disputed....

Don't forget that Sandwell also includes Tipton.  I was born in Princes End on the Tipton / Coseley border and you don't get much more Black Country than that (I was born in my Gran's house on the Tipton side of the border but she reputedly paid a peppercorn rate to Coseley council for her front step which was in that district!).  

Robert Plant is actually quite proud of his Black Country background if you listen to him being interviewed these days he still has his accent.  One of the songs on an early Zep album was 'Black Country Woman'.  Dear Phil Lynott died in 1986 and lived most of his life in Dublin.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

One for Mr Spams, I've found a photo of Spam 79 heading south from Walsall. It went via Tipton to New St so must have been close to going through BCB land.

One for Mr Spams, I've found a photo of Spam 79 heading south from Walsall. It went via Tipton to New St so must have been close to going through BCB land.

Don’t encourage him!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that very useful info. So now we are able to run Spamcans and T9s on the layout. Superb.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

post-6677-0-52447800-1527796711_thumb.jpg

Six years on from when our BCB adventure, started we (Staffordshire Finescale Group) have made the difficult decision that it is time for the layout to move on, in the hope that new owners can give it the time and attention that it deserves.

post-6677-0-29517900-1527796798.png

Further details of what is included in the sale can be found in a post on the SFG blog, here

Anybody wishing to express an interest in buying the layout can contact us either by using the contact form on the blog page in the above link or by PM.

Myself and a couple of the other members of the group will be at DEMU Showcase in Burton-Upon-Trent this weekend so would be happy to answer any questions from anyone who is considering expressing an interest in buying the layout. 

• RMweb Premium

Is there a new layout in the pipeline?

Several, in multiple pipelines :)

We're all hopefully that a buyer can be found who can continue to exhibit the layout and maybe take to the places we were never able to take it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Shame as I never got to see this in the flesh, as the layout is only six years old it's surprising it's being sold now.

Is there a new layout in the pipeline?

Cheers

Wayne

Hi Wayne, it doesn't matter how old a layout is, if you can't get enough crew together to take it to a show then it doesn't go to shows. Likewise if you haven't got anywhere big enough to put the layout up then it just sits in storage.

The team that built it aren't a club but a group of friends who are spread far and wide across middle and north England. As such we felt it better that rather than sit in storage, where it would slowly degrade, it should be offered up to others to work on and take to shows.

It deserves to be taken further but, as each of us has at least one other project on the go, realistically that's not us.

Spain?!!

Mike.

Where else in the world would you find a large pile of unloved and unused EM gauge layouts? You've got your work cut out there Mike, and no doubt the 'garage' is getting bigger by the year!

• RMweb Premium

Where else in the world would you find a large pile of unloved and unused EM gauge layouts? You've got your work cut out there Mike, and no doubt the 'garage' is getting bigger by the year!

My garage?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

In my near sixty years of exhibition attending it is simply one of the finest layouts that I have seen.

Magnificent in concept and execution!

post-9616-0-72654300-1527971161_thumb.jpg

post-9616-0-69139700-1527971224_thumb.jpg

post-9616-0-00442200-1527971261_thumb.jpg

Hope it enjoys a long and happy retirement.

David

• Like 13