Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

I got my copy of Decembers BRM today in Modellers Mecca whist buying some evergreen clapboard for some WW1huts. It featured a Cornish layout that a few people are following including me but, towards the back there is a special modelling Inspiration page (ok it's a filler) of one of Mark Forrest's 24's passing trafalger Sidings box amidst Mr tooth and Mr Yorks vegetation

It looks great!

Andy

• Like 1

A couple of nice LMS Iron Ore hoppers, converted with a roof and top hatches for Cardiff Slag Reduction here http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/alliedsteelwire/edbf91d1

and http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/alliedsteelwire/e17746725

Paul

A number of LMS hoppers, fitted with rooves were once based on Llantrisant and employed on the  Creigiau Quarry - Cardiff East Moors limestone and open tops on the Llanharry - Cardiff East Moors iron ore workings - the latter becoming redundant in the mid-1970s and the roofed versions soon after.

Quite likely this is where the GKN (later ASW) wagons originated ?

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

• Twin Bolsters – still causing some issues when setting back into the yard, despite me tweaking the permanent couplings and doing some testing at a pre-exhibition running session.  We also need either more of these or some Bolster Es for the inbound steel billet loads

One of the more helpful suggestions from the team about what to do with these wagons focused on the way I had coupled the permanent coupling between the pairs of wagons.  I had used a length of metal with a spare coupling spring (from a Smiths coupling hook) (there is a photo in this thread somewhere I think), however this was not fixed to either wagon so the suggestion was that as there is nothing to keep this centred, which might be the cause of the derailments.  I have started reworking these and also made a start on a couple of pairs of the Conflat based bolster sets to add a bit of variety, starting with this pair.

I had bought some Dapol Conflat bodies cheaply on eBay some time ago; left over from the Lowfit based pairs I had some of the inner bufferbeams (with the permanent coupling box moulded into the bufferbeam) and some clasp braked underframes, putting this together as follows:

post-6677-0-42960200-1384807324_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-23441500-1384807330_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-60756600-1384807334_thumb.jpg

These are being fitted with my next attempt at the coupling bar between the wagons:

post-6677-0-30429700-1384807341_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-12570400-1384807348_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Any updates?

Most of the updates in the run up to Peterborough appeared here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74645-bcb-the-final-countdown/ since when the layout has taken up a period of hibernation in a secret location with a Do No Disturb sign on the door whilst we look at a long list of to-do's and pull it out and panic a week before its next show at Stafford.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a radio for the chip van, all will be revealed eventually...

(it ain't all that exciting though.)

attachicon.gifIMGP8630-001

I take you have paid your fee and are in possession of an official Performing Rights Society licence for the radio and have it displayed in the said Chip Van ?

Edited by muddys-blues

• RMweb Gold

I take you have paid your fee and are in possession of an official Performing Rights Society licence for the radio and have it displayed in the said Chip Van ?

I may be wrong, and probably am, but the PRS wasn't constituted until the late 1990's, so was it an entity which collected money and issued licences in BCB days?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

I may be wrong, and probably am, but the PRS wasn't constituted until the late 1990's, so was it an entity which collected money and issued licences in BCB days?

Mike.

1914 (according to Wiki) - so well and truly established.

• RMweb Premium

I can believe the PRS has been around since 1914. But I am sure they had nothing to do with entertainment licences in public places until recently.

I'm not on a position to confirm or deny the above, but I'm fairly sure that 30 years ago we had a PRS licence at work (we had the joy of canned music in our reception area).  If it wasn't the PRS, it would have been something similar.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

A radio licence would have been required if the person using it did not have a radio or TV licence for his/her normal residence. A car fitted with a radio was required to have its own licence, the vehicle registration being on the licence in place of an address. This turned out to be unenforceable and was dropped about 1970. 

• RMweb Gold

I can believe the PRS has been around since 1914. But I am sure they had nothing to do with entertainment licences in public places until recently.

Back in the '80s I certainly recall the PRS person calling on local pubs and taking a fee for their right to have canned music for the punters.

Back in the '80s I certainly recall the PRS person calling on local pubs and taking a fee for their right to have canned music for the punters.

Certainly in the '60s We had a notice over the door saying " Licensed for Music...." (don't remember the full wording!)