Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Is the "Chainmakers" going to have a sign?

When someone pulls his finger out, yes. :)

One of the unsung heroes of the project in this topic is Mark with another weekend's work on the bolsters under his belt, some of his labours shown in front of his signal box.

BCB_MF.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

It's a poor do when someone spells both my names wrong...

I was just thinking how well Andy had done (speelin's-wise) on that long post - must have been pre-beer...

(Edit: hang on, it was posted at 20:15....must have been luck rather than no beer)

• RMweb Gold

Needs to be a roundy round ;)

Mike.

How do you know it's not.... there were talks after the 1st outing...  and what was Mr Ross doing all weekend - just chopping the transport boxes around ??

• RMweb Gold

Having found the elusive invisible thread (EZ line) I've been able to do the post and wire fence for the industrial line on the viaduct board now. As Old Gringo had found a very attractive 1963 shot of the real viaduct in the June 2003 Steam Days we realised there had been some growth and fencing beneath the viaduct so I thought I'd quickly replicated this with 1.5mm square plastic strip and the EZ line. Painting the wire with Modelmates Rust Effect increases its visibility a little and gives in the lived-in look.

attachicon.gifWire_fence_S.jpg

No-one else would ever know but I couldn't neglect to do that little run of fence.

How about adding a little patch of burnt ground under one of the arches, where the locals had been having an impromptu late night party ?

How about adding a little patch of burnt ground under one of the arches, where the locals had been having an impromptu late night party ?

There's a mystery bonfire that's appeared by Flavio's pharmaceutical works that no-one's owned up to.

• RMweb Gold

There's a mystery bonfire that's appeared by Flavio's pharmaceutical works that no-one's owned up to.

We got rid of most of the pole routes round there in the blue/ early TOPS era, so its probably the locals made off with the signalling cable. It would be a good excuse for not having any working signals.

• Like 3

Returning to 'Roll' wagons - I have located a photograph of a loaded GWR 'Roll' wagon - 32211 - which appears in both Russell 1971 (A Pictorial Record of Great Western Wagons) and Atkins, Beard, Tourrett etc (Great Western Wagons).

The wagon is loaded with what appear to be two 'cogging' rolls, but I stand to be corrected.

The mill rolls are of a dull finish and are not sheeted, so may be life expired ?

Both tomes also contain photos of such creations as:-

W21999 GWR Dia.B6 a former Rhymney Railway 6-wheeled Armour Plate wgon in BR livery and branded "Roll WG"

The BR 'Special Wagons' booklet of 1964 shows all ten of the BR Dia.450 12 tons "Roll WC" wagons still in service, together with 23 ex-GWR 12 ton wagons, and a further 6 ex-GWR 10 ton "Roll WB" wagons.

How many were actually " in use " in 1964 (as opposed to "in service") would be a moot point.

Brian R

Thanks Brian, Brian and Mike. Some food for thought there, as two observers of the South Wales scene and someone actively employed in the local railway freight scene, those observations carry some weight.

Perhaps, as you suggest Brian, they were an early traffic lost to road. They could be heavy, Tennants could cast them up to 75 tons, Firth Brown in Sheffield did some over 40 tons, in Wynns and Pickfords territory. It would certainly account for the lack of photographs and observations of rolls on wagons.

Thanks for the link to the Russell book Brian, I've got a copy so I'll have a look tomorrow. I'm inclined to finish the resin rolls with a light touch of rust as used rolls.

On catching backup with BCB my jaw hit the floor on how this has grown and bow to the skills of all involved with the layout.

These two pics just scream the dedication and commitment attained.

post-14408-0-86893100-1381273603.jpg

post-14408-0-35030800-1381273627.jpg

But when you see the broader view with the 37`s on it and the following lower view pic with the 37 that Andy Y posted on Diesels in the Duchy.

post-14408-0-70324400-1381273653.jpg

At first glance you do wonder if this lower profile picture is a layout or real life, as this is so believable and convincing for scenic detailing that BCB could run any era.  There are little pockets throughout the land caught in picture time frame and BCB is one of them. where you see a b&w picture of steam passing by in 1962 and a diesel in 2012. Not just in rail history research but other history I`ve seen a picture history date like previous and still show the exact same tree and bushs remain so very plausible. Only thing missing is smoke from the engines.

keep up the great work and look forward to seeing BCB and & DitD in the future.

• Like 8

Hi Folks,

just been looking through the thread whilst having a coffee, excellent work from everyone, the scenics are superb, great viaduct Andy, love the signal box and the trackwork looks the job, love  the whole scene, superb work throughout. 

Look forward to seeing it at the next outing.

cheers

Peter A L

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OMG, unbelievably realistic.  That middle picture showing the right hand side with the canal locks brought me right back home to Brum when I looked in this morning.  it's just evoked such strong childhood memories of the endless Summer days cycling up those canals that intertwined with the railways.  Didn't realize just how much I miss the place.  

There must have been hours and hours of discussion about the original plan as everything sits perfectly together.  Couple that with the many hours that must have been spent visiting places and taking measurements and pictures.  It just looks exactly right - brilliantly well observed.  A massive well done to all those involved and it just goes to show what a good and dedicated team can achieve.  Especially given such a short time scale to have done it all in.

The back of those hoardings are just magnificent by the way.  

Sorry if I'm a bit over gushy, but it really is home 'a' it?

There must have been hours and hours of discussion about the original plan as everything sits perfectly together.  Couple that with the many hours that must have been spent visiting places and taking measurements and pictures.  It just looks exactly right - brilliantly well observed.  A massive well done to all those involved and it just goes to show what a good and dedicated team can achieve.  Especially given such a short time scale to have done it all in.

Thanks Mike, that's a great acknowledgement of the team effort. Coincidentally I've been looking back to try and see where we were exactly a year ago, Chris had just finished showering Leicestershire with polystyrene and Damian was finishing the fascias over the scenic areas.

post-8734-0-47393300-1349602738.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some captions please.

A couple of photos I took over the weekend...

Firstly Old Gringo.

attachicon.gifIMGP7976-001.JPG

Geoff Cook and Wagonbasher...

attachicon.gifIMGP7980-001.JPG

I'll start it off.

For the top one - 'Owd Grinder' says "i'm sure this signal box was taller - and - there's no detail in the locking room......"

• Like 2