Β 

Hi,

Β 

Just finished my N scale layout Glendee based on a fictional town in Nevada. This is my first attempt at building a layout and the next step will probably be a shot at HO scale. Here are a few images of my layout,

post-15112-0-28141400-1337034463_thumb.jpg

post-15112-0-89253300-1337034634_thumb.jpg

post-15112-0-48396800-1337034756_thumb.jpg

post-15112-0-66446300-1337035071_thumb.jpg

How about some more photos showing the whole layout, rather than just these close-ups. Your modelling looks excellent - it would be a shame for us not to have the chance to see more.

Thanks, hope these images are of some interest

post-15112-0-31161300-1337079259_thumb.jpg

post-15112-0-44624700-1337079348_thumb.jpg

post-15112-0-97467200-1337079395_thumb.jpg

post-15112-0-09201500-1337079417_thumb.jpg

post-15112-0-15661200-1337079449_thumb.jpg

....and a question for you - where did you get the HO scale Hummer??? - Chris and I spent ages trying to find a civilian one in HO - rocking-horse manure was more easily available!

Β 

That would be N-scale... Neal's maybe?

Β 

I'm certain you should be able to find an HO Hummer like that one that would only require a small amount of modification to be civilianized (Roco? Trident?). It is the H2 and H3 that would be more difficult.

Β 

Adrian

Yep - I deleted the post when I realised it was about N gauge and not HO - it is the H3 that we were after - the intention was to do a "CSI Miami" scene with the ginger idiot - there was a pair on ebay in Chiang-hi that has been sold, featuring one each H1 & H3 - very slightly overscale - but that is the first H3 I've seen in HO(ish)scale

Beware ! there are a fair number of "slot cars" purporting to be HO scale and including Hummers - HO SCALE they most certainly are not!!

I'd agree with Ian. You've captured the look quite well.

Β 

There is something not quite right about the Domino's parking lot, but that is minor.

Β 

Adrian

Β 

I was trying to work out why? Not enough parking spaces? Round here they would have taken the "drive thru" straight around to the rear of the building (instead of the convoluted route it has right now) and the order device would near the rear right corner.

However I wouldn't bother changing it. Does need more trash around the parking lot, cups boxes, paper.

Super stuff, though!

Β 

Best, Pete.

I was trying to work out why? Not enough parking spaces? Round here they would have taken the "drive thru" straight around to the rear of the building (instead of the convoluted route it has right now) and the order device would near the rear right corner.

However I wouldn't bother changing it. Does need more trash around the parking lot, cups boxes, paper.

Super stuff, though!

Β 

Best, Pete.

Β 

Main things - there is too much entryway (doesn't need a dual-width way to the back of the parking lot) and not enough parking (the employees need somewhere to park), the drive-through is a bit convoluted (entry might be from the back of the parking lot and exiting at the front, and the head-on entry/exit is unlikely from an accident prevention point of view), the drive-through is definitely too wide (should be just over a car width), and there should be an enclosure near the back of the building for the garbage and waste grease containers. The disabled parking spot would likely be in the same orientation as the rest of the spots, just wider (doesn't waste as much space). Even with all that, it captures the essence of a North American fast-food establishment.

Β 

Here is a Wendy's restaurant with a Tim Horton's coffee shop sharing the parking lot. The Tim Horton's is effectively a drive-through only establishment with two lanes (there is a sit-down one with parking at the near end of the mall across the street). You can also get a good look at the front by going into Streetview.

http://maps.google.c...001294&t=h&z=20

There is a McDonald's with a drive through just west of it (on the other side of Forhan), and two banks with drive-throughs on the north side of Davis drive.

Β 

The other thing that occurs to me is that I don't believe I've seen many pizza restaurants with drive throughs - the mechanics of their business means that the drive-through traffic is just not there (longer lead times on the product, pizza isn't a snack-in-the-car type of food).

Β 

Adrian

I think your last paragraph has most relevance - I actually woke up at 3:00am thinking the same thing......the ONLY instant Pizza I can think of in the USA is "Little Caesar" - and it is strictly limited to about two variants only and they still do NOT have a drive thru...

Β 

Best, Pete.

Archived