Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Train Spotting... At Work

1963-1969 - Wigan Grammar School, which had a good view of the west coast main line just north of Wigan. I remember steam hauled freight trains being banked by Jintys, last of the Scots & Jubilees, the first D400'ers (50's), and, once, Kestrel hauling a test train - got detention for yelling to the rest of the class !!. Our geography teacher Gem Hall was a dour chap, once we had a magnificent sight of a grimy 9F slogging north on a freight, the smoke had to be seen to be beleived, "Look at that thing, belching out filth all over the town" - fantastic, a teacher telling us to look at a train !!!

I started work with the North Western Gas Board in 1969, ""report to the engineer at Wigan Gas Works at 07-45"", it was another world, and I was nearly run over by a small diesel loco shunting coal wagons - but again working there a good view was to be had of the WCML & L&Y lines south of Wigan. Steam had of course finished by then. After my apprenticeship it was off to Warrington, again the old gas works (by then just an engineering depot) again at the side of the WCML. There till 1992.

I live alongside the WCML now, not far from my old school, bit boring these days, but now & again something of interest passes, alas no grimy 9F's belching out smoke.

Brit15

i never get in the way, although when i was on the freight i did used to give a wry smile if i got put out in front of a passenger train!

i think karma is happening now though, on time yesterday towards london and the box put a class 6 out in front of me at fenny all the way to aynho

I've been the 'guilty party' in that scenario a few times and usually give the passenger man a shrug of the shoulders and and put both hands in the air as if to say 'sorry' if I'm in a position to see him. It's surprising when it does happen, but once the signalman has pulled off you just have to go for it and do your best to 'press on'.... until the next goods loop looms up ahead. It happened recently at Water Orton West Junction the week before the new signals were commisioned, I was stood at the old gantry on the Up Goods and a unit pulled up on the Fast alongside me. Expecting him to have the road first I was surprised to see I then had a green aspect and the required number four route indicator.... I looked across at the unit driver, mouthed 'sorry' and opened her up! What can you do eh... ;)

I wouldn't say I actually do any train spotting when I'm at work, I think I stopped writing numbers down in about 1983 / 84, but I still takes photos at certain places of interest, more for the infrastructure now than than the trains themselves. This shot at the top of the Lickey was taken when a mate and I were road learning to Worcester and Gloucester, I was in the chair, our old hand Inspector was stood behind me with my camera in hand while my mate sat in the secondman's chair supping tea and just enjoying his first ever view of the legendary incline... we'd just exited the loop at Blackwell under a single yellow aspect with a fully loaded stone train and crawled out at a shade under 10mph, knowing that the next signal a little way down the bank was still at danger, this being my first ever descent naturally I had my hand on the auto brake...

post-7638-0-71821100-1336816716_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

As a policeman I had the freedom to see a lot of trains whilst out and about. One of the best times was when National Power set up at ferrybridge and I got to know the controllers there. I helped them abit with some contingency planning and got rewarded with some cab rides. That was cerainly worthwhile. Having found this thread I will have to dig out some of the photos that I took when things were quiet.

Jamie

post-2402-0-54694400-1336775977_thumb.jpg

I wonder if you also worked in "Bucket" House?

Once worked at (as it was then called) the Department of Education & Science in Elizabeth House right by Waterloo. One side of the building overlooked the line between Charing Cross and Waterloo East, whilst the other side overlooked the main part of Waterloo and the lift from the W&C line.

Not if the company I work for get the re-signalling scheme - then at least one of them will end up in my back garden :sungum:

A man after my own heart...! Are you an 'upper' or a 'lower' man though, that is the question...?!!

• RMweb Premium

As a policeman I had the freedom to see a lot of trains whilst out and about. One of the best times was when National Power set up at ferrybridge and I got to know the controllers there. I helped them abit with some contingency planning and got rewarded with some cab rides. That was cerainly worthwhile. Having found this thread I will have to dig out some of the photos that I took when things were quiet.

Jamie

As promised here is one of the photos, taken one early morning in 1974 from where the M62 crosses the Leeds Wakefield line at Ardsley

post-6824-0-40675800-1336842187.jpg

Not a very good scan I'm afraid but it livened up an early turn.

Jamie

I see quite a few trains from my "desk" on a day to day basis.......

1bec1cf7.jpg

The desk in question was 67018 on that occassion during a station stop at leamington

Sorry that's cheating.. you got the best job in the world :P

Sorry that's cheating.. you got the best job in the world :P

They really have, especially when they just sit there whilst signallers do all the hard work! ;)

• RMweb Gold

This is a view I'll never tire of, it'll be a sad day when Banbury's semaphores get thrown in a skip....

An OBA is probably better than a 67 to remove redundant signals.

Perhaps they'll be thrown at a skip.

I've just volunteered a colleague to spend a day at a main station noting the unit numbers of all arrivals and departures so we can estimate the stock diagrams and operating costs (easier to do that than to ask the company!). I suggested he needed to sign out a company anorak, but I don't think he was amused.

I've just volunteered a colleague to spend a day at a main station noting the unit numbers of all arrivals and departures so we can estimate the stock diagrams and operating costs (easier to do that than to ask the company!). I suggested he needed to sign out a company anorak, but I don't think he was amused.

I always note loco numbers in the TRB :)

• RMweb Gold

Depending on which office I'm working out of, I can normally hear the trains, so at the sound of anything unusual I can leap up and have a look. Interestingly though, the main office in Bristol is within sight of Temple Meads (just), but you can't see or hear the trains, but it's more or less built on the course of the former docks line from Bristol TM to the Floating Harbour...

A man after my own heart...! Are you an 'upper' or a 'lower' man though, that is the question...?!!

Oh - Southern born and bred - I like to rise !! but 5 years living near Pewsey and working in Swindon is slowly infecting me with GW virus !!

Nah! This is Train Spotting!

You don't have to back to 1974 for big diesels or mixed traffic freight (look at the variety of "wagons") February 2012/New Jersey:

Best, Pete.

Not much of a graffiti problem, judging by the state of some of the boxcars and bulk goods vehicles in those trains... :D :O

It always gets me the prodigious number of wagons that are hauled by a relatively small number of locos, particularly comparing the size of the wagons to those in the UK.

---

My 'spotting at work' sites were a Junior school within earshot of Norwood Yard in the days when you could hear the wagons banging against each other when they were shunted around, Lewes Technical College, where some of the classrooms were down by the line just east of the junction at the Eastbourne end of the station, and an office about halfway up the Shell building by Waterloo East...

I wonder if you also worked in "Bucket" House?

If only I could still see (and hear) 50s from my office window! Yes, I started my working career there in 1988, with Cromptons and 50s to entertain me during the dull moments. I was always angling for client assignments down the SW main line - and even if I couldn't have diesel haulage, the REPs were always good value.

I still visit Becket at least once a week - there's usually something worth watching (the pair of Harry Needle 08s rehearsing for the Railway Children production in the old Eurostar terminal was a great distraction from meetings that were starting to drag!). I still mIss the 50s and 33s though.....but I know that one day I will be sitting at my desk (either in Reading or in Becket) and hear that unmistakeable 16 cylinder beat once again - bring it on!

David

Archived