Β 

More GP30 Eye Candy (BNSF GP39M)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy, some call me the Gangster of er, sorry. Yes many people have a love/hate relationship with these locos because of the hunchback appearance. I really quite like them...

Β 

Best, Pete.

Squeeky,

Please be careful how you use RRPictures photos. They only want you to link to them. I don't want to wreck Andy's day with a copyright suit....can you amend it? Nice pic.

Β 

Cheers, Pete.

Squeeky,

Please be careful how you use RRPictures photos. They only want you to link to them. I don't want to wreck Andy's day with a copyright suit....can you amend it? Nice pic.

Β 

Cheers, Pete.

Β 

Sorry, i've amended it.

So is the Proto 2000 the best of the HO models without going to the expense of the nice looking brass ones i've seen?

Β 

Proto and Walthers are the same one of course (although specs have tweaked over the years) - but yes, easily far and away the best in plastic.

Β 

Love that ex Chessie one!

The US forums have the P2K version head and shoulders above the rest! I'm looking for one to do that BNSF GP39M conversion in the OP and in the thread I put up a few months back.

Β 

Dave

Β 

No question the P2K now Walthers is the best. All the rest of the models in HO have The Fan Mistake where the front radiator fan's edge is forward of the radiator grill when the prototype's (and P2K's) is even with the edge. And be aware P2K did both versions - one's cab is asymmetric with one side longer than the other, prototypically. I think that's the Phase II. The Phase I's cab is the same length on both sides.

Β 

I always found the high nose version awkward but attractive in a weird sort of way too:

Β 

post-751-0-99629900-1336233699_thumb.jpg

I think that is the first time i've seen an example of one of those, Craig! Are any still existing, anywhere?

Looks like it walloped something with one of the tanks...........

Β 

Very nice "Martian - like" water tank in the background too - whereabouts was this taken?

Β 

Best, Pete.

No question the P2K now Walthers is the best. All the rest of the models in HO have The Fan Mistake where the front radiator fan's edge is forward of the radiator grill when the prototype's (and P2K's) is even with the edge.

Β 

Β 

I've have been looking through old forum posts regarding GP30 models, there is a great thread (I'll try and find it again) which charts GP30 models history. From what I gather the fan mistake came from original GP30 draught drawings, and the mistake was just copied on to models, and I think that all the fuss that that caused gave P2k a head start on producing a decent looking model, shame they put dodgy axle gears in them though. A warning to those looking to buy a p2k its almost certainly going to need to new axle gears. I think this was corrected in later batches, but I think the majority of models have this problem. There's always something isnt there!

Β 

That HH is something else isnt it! I love the 38-2s and 50s but I'm not sure about that HH, anyway before my era.

Β 

Dave

One of my favourite Geeps, along with the GP35 of course and still going strong with class one Railroads:

614.jpg

P2K shell mounted on a Kato GP35 Chassis.

Β 

Jez

I agree with Jez, certainly one of the more characterful Geeps, and they have the novelty value for CP modellers, with only 2 in the fleet. I have the P2K model, which is highly recommended although the Life Like one seems to have a bit of a reputation for split gears. I had to replace two on mine when it was new, although it's run beautifully ever since.

Archived