Delph Branch now even more famous...

• 8 months later...

I have some photos of the goods shed taken just before it was demolished. They are in a collection of several hundred which I need to trawl through but I can definitely confirm that the grills were 'windows' for a cellar beneath the loading bay.

I shall try and locate the photos and post them on here as soon as.

Hi Nick

Thanks very much for your comments.

I take your point about scale but if printed out as A3 then the drawing should work out at 2mm to the foot. I do intend to tidy up the drawings a bit though, adding some textures on the walls and roof and some boarders etc., so I'll sort this out then. Actually it says "full size" because when a drawing is done in CAD that's how it is drawn as this isn't a problem when it's viewed on a computer screen. Only when it becomes necessary to print out a drawing does scale matter and then it has to be set to suit the size of paper is being used.

I can't be 100% sure what the grill were but they appear in photos so I've drawn them in (the ones on the loading bay side are a bit of a guess as I've only a description of these but no photos). I believe they were windows for a celler but one which most likely only extended under a loading platform inside the shed and this would then explain why they don't appear on the track side walls of the shed. My guess is the celler would have been entered by the ground level door in the office and then down some steps. I imagine around 2/3 of the celler would have been below ground level and a 1/3 above ground under this loading platform. That would then leave the windows in this gap between the ground and platform deck so that from inside, they would appear at around head height. Perhaps if anyone has any definitive answers to this however then they could maybe let us know. Also some photos of the shed showing the loading bay side nice if anyone has any, it was all gone by the time of my visit to Delph

Regards

Andy

• RMweb Premium
The loco-release beyond the coal shoots always seemed a waste to me. It meant the adjacent siding had to remain empty if it was to serve as a run-round loop. Also, locos would not run into the head shunt in order to push coal wagons away from the coal chutes because of the laws governing shunting on the Delph Branch.

I seem to remember this coming up before, perhaps on the old RMweb. I don't think you should think of that as a "loco-release", locos were not usually allowed over the coal drops. What I would expect to happen is that the coalmen unloading would push empties into that dead end so they could move another load along the siding and onto the drops, when shunting the empties could then be collected without moving wagons still waiting to be unloaded.

The real thing did not always rely on locos to move wagons, the men would have pinch bars and perhaps even a horse.

Regards

Keith

Archived