Observation coach Mallaig 1960s

Guest stuartp

I think it's the ex-M&SLR Director's Saloon which finished up on ScR, I've another photo of it at Edinburgh somewhere at home, I'll compare the two tonight. If it is there's a drawing in one of George Dow's 'Great Central' volumes.

Edit: Yup. M&SLR Directors' Saloon, No 1033, built 1890 at Gorton. Dow says this about it ("Great Central Vol 2", writing in 1962):

"With choice vases in its mirrored shelves, hassocks for its armchairs and tasselled cushions on its settee, it offered opulent travel for the occasions when the ageing Watkin and Gladstone perambulated together by rail. Shorn of some of her Victorian extravaganza No 1033 still survives as SC 970113 E. Mounted on Gresley bogies and with a modern coooker in her diminutive kitchen, she serves as an inspection car for the Chief Civil Engineer's Department in the Scottish Region".

There is a pic of the exterior, two of the interior (Wow ! 'Opulent' does it a disservice !) and an outline drawing. Another photo of it still in teak at Colinton, dated 31st July 1962 appears in a Bradford Barton album "Scottish Branchline Steam".

The weird upwards extention of the warning panel and the two things either side which look like air pipes appear to be some sort of folding step and scrolled handrails.

Edited Edit: Having looked at the 1280 pixel shot I think it's still in teak in that pic ! Teak with yellow panels and OHL flashes !! I feel a scratchbuild coming on... (And yes, it's the same vehicle in Mr Parker's other pic).

Edited by stuartp
  • Like 1

• 8 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

It was the 3d print that piqued my interest. I want to find out more details of it, the interior in particular. Unfortunately it appears to have been scrapped. The was a photograph of it taken in 1957 for sale on E-bay recently I have contacted the vendor to see if its still available.

• RMweb Premium

Found a second photograph on e-bay showing plenty of end detail including some fancy metal scrollwork. The first photograph shows the underframe details albeit in its final condition with Gresley bogies and large battery boxes. Not a problem as I intend to run it on my own 'preserved' line.