When the real thing looks like a model

• RMweb Gold
On 23/09/2024 at 18:54, Grizz said:

Well the upgrading of my modern German layout has been a partial success.

On the up side Im hugely please with the new DCC led lighting, a vast improvement on the old ‘grain of wheat’ light bulb set up.

But on the down side the colour setting on the camera monitoring system is already knackered. Shame really because it had a great deal of atmos, when it was working……really must did out the warranty.

Also I’ve got to finishing dimming down some of the lighting, especially on the locos and buildings in the for ground. Although I’m pleased with the yard lights, just about the right balance.

Probs the greatest success was putting tiny pin holes in the back scene, with a large light behind it. It has worked quite effectively for depth perception, for the distant towns and villages. 

At least I was able to reuse a bunch of the Faller and Vollmer kit built buildings from previous layouts….

IMG_5281.jpeg.477788f8ddf4cb8931fe82114db72aba.jpeg

Ah..Plattling..there was a good thread a few years ago but pictures were mostly lost in the big picture wipeout.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 2

My son and I have watched Plattling together, ever since he was a young lad, sometimes having it as a screen saver on our smart tv. 

Never gets boring if you like the European modern railway scene, but we aren’t familiar with the area of Germany. 

We normally stop for a week in Hamburg, 5 minutes walk from Harburg station, on our way driving back home to Denmark every summer. So we know the Northern European railways well. But we have both often talked about either taking the train or driving down to Plattling and spending a week there. 

We both have Priv rail cards so the train would be the cheapest option but having the car probs gives us the greatest flexibility, especially as we’d want to get some line side filming down, hoping to catch more of the diesel locos down south. 

There is something very special about Plattling in the snow. And I’ve watched the Pway renew numerous S&C units at the end of the yard closest to the camera. 

Took this screen shot on a very clear day, lots of locos in and out. I see the 159s have taken over on a lot of the timber traffic. 

IMG_5357.png.f0fd23468cbcc4b0679b31c1f0cb6dea.png

Edited by Grizz
Photo didn’t attach
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Plattling is also the junction for the picturesque line up to Bayerisch-Eisenstein, the station with the border passing through the booking hall, and the small railway museum. Well worth a visit.

DSC04604.JPG.a539c0e4affb6539c87657bdf66f0ff9.JPG

DSC04554.JPG.4f00c10b92e730745cabd8fb47d8bc67.JPG

DSC02842.JPG.9fb496b4c01617355e5d8ab1019d0c7d.JPG

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1