When the real thing looks like a model

Well the upgrading of my modern German layout has been a partial success.

On the up side Im hugely please with the new DCC led lighting, a vast improvement on the old ‘grain of wheat’ light bulb set up.

But on the down side the colour setting on the camera monitoring system is already knackered. Shame really because it had a great deal of atmos, when it was working……really must did out the warranty.

Also I’ve got to finishing dimming down some of the lighting, especially on the locos and buildings in the for ground. Although I’m pleased with the yard lights, just about the right balance.

Probs the greatest success was putting tiny pin holes in the back scene, with a large light behind it. It has worked quite effectively for depth perception, for the distant towns and villages. 

At least I was able to reuse a bunch of the Faller and Vollmer kit built buildings from previous layouts….

IMG_5281.jpeg.477788f8ddf4cb8931fe82114db72aba.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Well the upgrading of my modern German layout has been a partial success.

Sorry, it might have German trains on it, but I don't believe it's really a 'German' layout.

There's no mountains on the backscene, no river in the foreground, and not a single bottle-brush pine tree in sight!! 🙄🙄🙄🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

6 hours ago, Grizz said:

At least I was able to reuse a bunch of the Faller and Vollmer kit built buildings from previous layouts….

Did you also finally find a use for that big stash of old Hornby straight station platforms? No other layout looked believable with so many straight platforms. But at least the lamp posts could go into the holes usually used for platform canopies.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

I admire anyone who takes on the challenge of modelling one of the big London terminii, but here's a clever approach which avoids the complexity of reproducing the architecturally complex station frontage, while making the actual trains more visible than they would be hidden away under the overarching canopies.

An unusual view over Paddington station with a Class 31 and a Class 50 poking their noses out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55727763@N02/54018106493/

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 14

4 hours ago, railsquid said:

I admire anyone who takes on the challenge of modelling one of the big London terminii, but here's a clever approach which avoids the complexity of reproducing the architecturally complex station frontage, while making the actual trains more visible than they would be hidden away under the overarching canopies.

An unusual view over Paddington station with a Class 31 and a Class 50 poking their noses out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55727763@N02/54018106493/

18 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Nice. Great attention to detail on the low-relief buildings against the backscene. 

You just know that the tracks do a sharp U-turn under the canopies to go to hidden storage behind the backscene.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

You just know that the tracks do a sharp U-turn under the canopies to go to hidden storage behind the backscene.

The thought did go through my head, and I was reminded of this little gem:

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I have seen something similar modelled. Just 25% of the station visible and the rest under a 'shopping centre'. (IIRC it was a through station.)

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Waverley West on RMweb has done this with the, well, western end of Edinburgh Waverley. 

Has modelled Princes St. Gardens/Mound tunnels and station throat into the platforms, which then feed into fiddle yards and return loops hidden by 'the station'

If you just took it from the exits of the tunnels into the station then it could be self-contained (with loops/fiddles either side)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

9 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I try not to think about any part of the Gatwick complex ......................................... 

Ah my workplace for 9 years the airport not the station. My last office looked out over the apron in one direction and in the other the north end of the station. I was in heaven aircraft one way and the Brighton line the other way.

Keith

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Photographing a model outside can really lift it model. Shame about the flat baseboard fields in the fore ground:

Wagonload Freight on the Somerset Levels

The owner's obviously gone down the route of matching wagons based on type rather than destination though...

• Like 10
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steven B said:

Photographing a model outside can really lift it model. Shame about the flat baseboard fields in the fore ground:

Wagonload Freight on the Somerset Levels

The owner's obviously gone down the route of matching wagons based on type rather than destination though...

Apart from the EFE Rail PBA “Clay tigers” and the Revolution Cartic at the back, he’s used all Graham Farish stock.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, The Pilotman said:

Apart from the EFE Rail PBA “Clay tigers” and the Revolution Cartic at the back, he’s used all Graham Farish stock.

Remarkable how far N Gauge has come, these days!!

I was going to call the modeller out for sticking his brand new, fresh out the box, open wagon in right behind the loco, when everything else is weathered to various degrees.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1