When the real thing looks like a model

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

then the builder just plonked the third, concrete-sleeper flexitrack down on top of the (different colour) ballast!!!

Looks more like its lightly pinned to old-fashioned Triang grey foam track underlay....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

18 hours ago, railsquid said:

"modern" merry-go-round diorama,

There is more than a bit of Zen going on with that carefully raked gravel on the left...

...then I spotted that the poster is from Japan, and that explained everything - it's a garden layout in a Japanese garden!

Wot - no cherry trees?!?

Yours, Mike.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Personally I think the weathering has been overdone on the loco. Otherwise a nice little scene.

I dunno. When you start looking at the details there are loads of flaws. The soldered copperclad trackwork with no representation of rail fastenings is a bit crude. That van has been very roughly repainted - did they not think of masking off the headstock and the end of the roof? And having a dumb-buffered wagon still in use in the 1970s is stretching Rule 1 a bit far. Is that ship's propeller to the right scale?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chris M said:

Personally I think the weathering has been overdone on the loco. Otherwise a nice little scene.

Made more noticeable by the freshly painted closed wagon.

• Like 4

Of all the photos I've ever taken I remember thinking at the time that this is the one which looks most like a model - D1023 'Western Fusilier' passing through Sonning Cutting on its way to Paddington on 1st October 1976.

PICT0594np.JPG.659ed7f8ef77e7bdbc23cbb0195b3da7.JPG

It had been released from a Laira repaint that very day (as evidenced by the unidirectional exhaust soot on the roof and very white corner footsteps) presumably in expectation of its starring role in the various looming Class 52 farewell tours - I would travel from Kings Cross to York behind it the following month.

I think what gave that impression was that not long before I'd been handed an MTK N gauge 'Western' kit to build and paint in BR maroon SYP livery for the Swindon Model Railway Club's 'Brent' layout; the kit, designed to use a Lifelike chassis, was very simple - solid whitemetal with no provision for see-through windows so I painted them gloss black all round with the cab window frames picked out in silver using sharpened matchsticks (armed with these and the eyesight of youth I could create passable BR emblems and roundels back then, a skill not called upon very often as I wasn't an N gauge modeller so had no such transfers to hand). D1023's bright cab window frames against very dark windows from this angle reminded me of that model, aided in no small measure by that 'just out of the box' appearance!

• Like 15

9 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Of all the photos I've ever taken I remember thinking at the time that this is the one which looks most like a model - D1023 'Western Fusilier' passing through Sonning Cutting on its way to Paddington on 1st October 1976.

It had been released from a Laira repaint that very day (as evidenced by the unidirectional exhaust soot on the roof and very white corner footsteps) presumably in expectation of its starring role in the various looming Class 52 farewell tours - I would travel from Kings Cross to York behind it the following month.

I think what gave that impression was that not long before I'd been handed an MTK N gauge 'Western' kit to build and paint in BR maroon SYP livery for the Swindon Model Railway Club's 'Brent' layout; the kit, designed to use a Lifelike chassis, was very simple - solid whitemetal with no provision for see-through windows so I painted them gloss black all round with the cab window frames picked out in silver using sharpened matchsticks (armed with these and the eyesight of youth I could create passable BR emblems and roundels back then, a skill not called upon very often as I wasn't an N gauge modeller so had no such transfers to hand). D1023's bright cab window frames against very dark windows from this angle reminded me of that model, aided in no small measure by that 'just out of the box' appearance!

Its amazing what you can do with Woodland Scenics though.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Halvarras said:

But up-close it was obviously painting executed with a badly, and insistently, loaded brush   with various runs and patchy areas of varying depth of paint.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

But up-close it was obviously painting executed with a badly, and insistently, loaded brush   with various runs and patchy areas of varying depth of paint.

Laira's Western repaints didn't look too bad to me but I don't recall ever giving one a close-up quality inspection! I've just consulted Adrian Curtis's 'Western Liveries' book and the Laira repaints had petered out by the autumn of 1975 with only D1009 receiving its THIRD such repaint in early September 1976 followed by D1023 later that same month - the last Laira repaint and exactly 3 years since its long-delayed emergence from Swindon Works. Perhaps D1023's dodgy application was a rush job due to Laira staff time having to be devoted to fixing failed Class 50s 😜

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/08/2024 at 13:48, Halvarras said:

Laira's Western repaints didn't look too bad to me but I don't recall ever giving one a close-up quality inspection! I've just consulted Adrian Curtis's 'Western Liveries' book and the Laira repaints had petered out by the autumn of 1975 with only D1009 receiving its THIRD such repaint in early September 1976 followed by D1023 later that same month - the last Laira repaint and exactly 3 years since its long-delayed emergence from Swindon Works. Perhaps D1023's dodgy application was a rush job due to Laira staff time having to be devoted to fixing failed Class 50s 😜

I got the impression that it might well have been a rushed job; was it done for a railtour I wonder?  I took several transparencies of it passing Fairrwood Jcn on the Westbury - Exeter cement train but we'd had it for a few day around Westbury before that.

• Like 2

On 21/08/2024 at 08:48, Mol_PMB said:

I dunno. When you start looking at the details there are loads of flaws. The soldered copperclad trackwork with no representation of rail fastenings is a bit crude. That van has been very roughly repainted - did they not think of masking off the headstock and the end of the roof? And having a dumb-buffered wagon still in use in the 1970s is stretching Rule 1 a bit far. Is that ship's propeller to the right scale?

Not quite in the spirit of this topic, more in the Rule 1 stretch, but there were several North Eastern Railway dumb buffered wagons remaining in use there in 1986 https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/nerballast

Perhaps not as unusual as https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/falmouthdocks/e65aeaff   and  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/falmouthdocks/e187a16a  I would love to know the origin of these!

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I appreciate this is not railway related, but it reminds of the excellent work @brylonscamel does, especially the building on the left.

Clearly a model, as the cuddie is standing skew-whiff...

Best

Scott. 

456916203_514349797617403_27815254617304

Edited by scottystitch
  • Like 14

11 hours ago, scottystitch said:

I appreciate this is not railway related, but it reminds of the excellent work @brylonscamel does, especially the building on the left.

Cheers Scott, that's very kind of you! I do think they did a better job of the traditional pantiles on the model. I've used the Wills ones and they're nae right!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It will look better when it's ballasted.

You mean when it's ballasted properly.?? 👍

Scattering some overscale cork granules around & plonking the track on top just doesn't cut it, these days. 🙄🤦‍♂️

Meanwhile, I know etch brass kits can be difficult to build, even in O scale, but here you'd think the builder would've taken more care with the grilles on this 37 - they'd never be so distorted in real life. And look at the mess he's made of forming the tumblehome 🙄 .....

20240906_183053.jpg.07f95bdfda2c0d34112f579accf36505.jpg

Un-identified (because I couldn't be bothered to walk to the other end) Tractor at Bridgnorth this evening. Edit - it's 37 263.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 6
  • Funny 1