ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

You will need to call  the order line at Kernow on 01209 613984. No one else has access to order information. (CJL)

Thanks

It5s a green one.

All sorted with updated card info.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

MR-110. DS237 BR Malachite late crest 'Maunsell'. Please note that the production models are correctly finished in the BR shade known as Malachite, as applied to SR coaching stock, not the bright SR Bulleid Malachite as depicted on the pre-production sample. The label uses the term 'Malachite' as this was widely used on the Southern Region at the time, to distinguish it from BR locomotive green. (CJL)

I am glad that I bought 30064 rather than DS237 Maunsell. I am modelling the Swanage Railway. The picture shows it at Swanage turntable in the 1990s.  I had originally intended to repaint 30064 to represent 30075 which ran on the Swanage Railway in Southern malachite green. I kept my order when I found out that Maunsell was going to appear in malachite green. As it is in British Railways Southern Region coach green I would have had to repaint it anyway.

post-17621-0-52534400-1475761129_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin Brasher
  • Like 5

Everyone else seems to be doing it, so here are some photos of one in its natural environment.

30069, apparently ex-works, trundles along the waterside on Tormouth Quay.  Don't expect it will be too long before it weathers down a bit!

post-11812-0-98975900-1475763476_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-94691700-1475763498_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-60296700-1475763516_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-76523400-1475763533_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

The closer I look at my Worth Valley example, the more fine detail I find. I'm amazed , even in this day and age, at how detailed it is. And a superb runner as well. Thanks to the MR team, and Bachmann, for such a wonderful model. Though I must admit I come down on TW's side re:modelling as opposed to opening RTR boxes, I do feel quite proud to own this one.

Whatever next I wonder?

Stewart

• Like 2

The closer I look at my Worth Valley example, the more fine detail I find. I'm amazed , even in this day and age, at how detailed it is. And a superb runner as well. Thanks to the MR team, and Bachmann, for such a wonderful model. Though I must admit I come down on TW's side re:modelling as opposed to opening RTR boxes, I do feel quite proud to own this one.

Whatever next I wonder?

Stewart

'Next' is already in discussion. We know what and with whom. Even the one AFTER next is being thought about! (CJL)

• Like 5

Sh! Don’t tell anyone! It’s a Class 92. :O

Seriously, if they choose as well as the USA and do a similar good job on it, it’ll be wonderful. Do we think Bachmann could be persuaded to stretch a point and co-operate? It could only enhance the reputation the USA has boosted.

S160 would be nice. 

That’s a clever notion. Related to the USA and I’ve fancied one ever since I saw one at Shildon when all the attention was on the APT-E. It wouldn¹t be cheap, though. Something smaller might be advisable from Model Rail’s point of view. Now, what would pry the wallets open in the same way as the USA Tank?

That’s a clever notion. Related to the USA and I’ve fancied one ever since I saw one at Shildon when all the attention was on the APT-E. It wouldn¹t be cheap, though. Something smaller might be advisable from Model Rail’s point of view. Now, what would pry the wallets open in the same way as the USA Tank?

An SECR P class.

As a Southern modeller we've been spoiled for small tank engines of late. The Dock tank, Beattie, O2 and the announced Dapol B4 and Hornby's H class.

I think if I was Modelrail I'd be looking to another region for a suitable candidate for the next project.

I also think that a national publication wouldn't want to be seen as to southern centric.

From a personal point of view my wallet could well do with a brief period of respite what with all the other Southern region models to come, as built MN's, birdcage stock, gate stock etc

Atb

Nik

As a Southern modeller we've been spoiled for small tank engines of late. The Dock tank, Beattie, O2 and the announced Dapol B4 and Hornby's H class.

I think if I was Modelrail I'd be looking to another region for a suitable candidate for the next project.

I also think that a national publication wouldn't want to be seen as to southern centric.

From a personal point of view my wallet could well do with a brief period of respite what with all the other Southern region models to come, as built MN's, birdcage stock, gate stock etc

Atb

Nik

Fair point. However, I dare say I’m not the only one who likes to climb on a bandwagon (or build a homogenous stud, as I prefer to regard it). It looks as if we are being quite well fed with south-eastern stuff.

Then there’s the LMR. Close together come a J94 an Austerity Tank and a USA Tank with a brake van and coach to follow from Invicta. There’s also Bachmann’s technicolour Austerity 2-8-0 in prospect and Army stuff broken from Bachmann’s set if we ain’t too fussy. 

Splash out on a P, say I. (At this late hour, I can’t be bothered to rephrase that.) Add on something selected from D, E, L, D1, E1 & L1.

For those who like to be electrocuted, it looks as if AC electrics might be starting to come through at last.

Great times. Unless, of course, you hanker for gas turbines. :cry:

Then there’s the LMR. Close together come a J94 an Austerity Tank and a USA Tank with a brake van and coach to follow from Invicta. There’s also Bachmann’s technicolour Austerity 2-8-0 in prospect and Army stuff broken from Bachmann’s set if we ain’t too fussy. 

Unfortunately, all LMR models are spread over a wide timeframe and most could not run together unless you apply Rule 1. Given the liveries as supplied, the dates are:

Austerity tank – arrived in late 1964 and named in 1968

USA tank – scrapped in 1959

Austerity 2-8-0 McMullen – if coal fired, 1947-1950

Austerity 2-8-0 Sir Guy Williams – 1962-1965

Brake van – from 1959

Coach – in blue from 1967/8

IMHO, your best date is early 1965 which is what I have chosen but you still need to do a lot of repainting and make our own transfers.

Tony

Unfortunately, all LMR models are spread over a wide timeframe and most could not run together unless you apply Rule 1. Given the liveries as supplied, the dates are:

Austerity tank – arrived in late 1964 and named in 1968

USA tank – scrapped in 1959

Austerity 2-8-0 McMullen – if coal fired, 1947-1950

Austerity 2-8-0 Sir Guy Williams – 1962-1965

Brake van – from 1959

Coach – in blue from 1967/8

IMHO, your best date is early 1965 which is what I have chosen but you still need to do a lot of repainting and make our own transfers.

Tony

Thank you, that information is nice to know. Using a historical approach, it enables me to run things in succession.

I don’t suppose you would have at your fingertips any information on the constituent parts of Bachmann’s Military set. It’s not worth the trouble of looking anything up for a Rule Wunner.

• Like 1

Model Rail did hint at a P-Class on their Facebook page some time ago... could of been about a year or so ago

I think you'll find that was not Model Rail but another magazine......

I'm not going to give away any clues as, at this stage we're not even sure if we'll commission another loco. However, if you look at the record, overall we've not been Southern-centric by any means.

The Sentinel was an industrial which was also operated by the GWR, LMS and LNER, all of which we covered with appropriate liveries. The only one of the big four not covered was the Southern, which we've now covered with the 'USA' but we also offer the 'USA" in liveries designed to be relevant as widely as possible - NCB, military (USATC and LMR), and even a preservation-era livery for those who want excuse to have one on a post-1967 layout.

So, having done all that, the door is wide open for, in those immortal words, "something completely different". And it will be......(CJL)

PS. It may be that any further discussion or 'wish listing' should be under a new heading in the 'Model Rail' thread rather than under Bachmann's 'USA' banner.

Edited by dibber25

At last - the Fell!

Oh, you guessed! It'll have a choice of 2 x 4-coupled or 1 x 8-coupled mechanism and the DCC version will have a special unit which erupts in flames when you press function 13! Seriously, we'll be wanting something that will sell more than four models! I'd go for 18000 but that's not happening, either. Nor is an 'S160' - so I've narrowed the field down just a bit. (CJL)

• Like 2