GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

Hi George, could you please tell me where you can buy the 2" cutting discs,

Regards,

Martyn.

Hello Martyn,  Sorry l was bragging about the size of my tools, Hahahahahahaha they are in fact 33mm, l got them at one of the shows l went to, also l cut my rails before l make the track.........sorry for the confusion...

post-7716-0-61529300-1479504342_thumb.jpg

I guessed that's were you were, I used to live in Waterlooville, Hampshire and used Gaugemaster and previously The Engine Shed, when Rod had his Shop in Bognor.

Hi Andrew,

It's a small world, don't you miss the bracing sea air, Ha ha.

Hello Martyn, Sorry l was bragging about the size of my tools, Hahahahahahaha they are in fact 33mm, l got them at one of the shows l went to, also l cut my rails before l make the track.........sorry for the confusion...

Hi George,

I wouldn't think 33mm was much to brag about : ) I do cut the rail as I make the track as well, but where there's a baseboard join I like to lay the track across the join intact, and then once glued solid cut the rail as I find this way you do not get any kinks if on a curve. I will have to see if Eileen's have any larger discs at the Bristol show in January.

Regards,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Hi Mate, I hope you don't mind me saying, but your Signal Box looks a bit bright to me, I'm not sure of the correct Colour but most seem more of a Cream Colour, Here's a couple of pics of Shillingstone Box.

attachicon.gif298_1426581318.jpg

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

Thanks for that Andy, l did think it was a bit on the bright side, but that was the colour l used on the box on 'Ashcombe' must but be different In 7mm ?

post-7716-0-07618500-1479511969_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-49157800-1479511976_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-30184200-1479511984_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-88233000-1479511991_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks for that Andy, l did think it was a bit on the bright side, but that was the colour l used on the box on 'Ashcombe' must but be different In 7mm ?

Morning mate, That's so much better, yes it probably is the size, and also with Ashcombe I only ever saw it with Scenic's around it so it blended in more.

When cutting rail across a baseboard join I lay track across the join intact soldering it to PCB strip glued to the edge then cut using a razor saw. I find this gives a much finer gap than a cutting disc, especially desirable when working in 4mm scale.

Another trick is to bolt the baseboards together with some 20-30 thou plasticard between them. After cutting the rail remove the plasticard and the rails should virtually come together.

Edited by tender
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

At last 'Swindley'  has had the baseboards made, l used 9mm plywood and 2x2 softwood legs that slot into the boards, as the layout will be a stay at home layout l will bolt it all together for now, the tops will be fixed on tomorrow, the panel pins will be removed once the glue has set

You've done a great job with the baseboards; what grade of Ply did you use?

• RMweb Premium

Hi PT, The plywood is 9mm...

Hi George,

Thank you for your reply; it was the "Grade" of Ply that I was interested in. I guess it is the Hardwood / Furniture Grade Ply that you are using as available in Wickes etc? There is such a wide variation in the quality of Plywood these days just wanted to confirm which to use.

Hi George,

Thank you for your reply; it was the "Grade" of Ply that I was interested in. I guess it is the Hardwood / Furniture Grade Ply that you are using as available in Wickes etc? There is such a wide variation in the quality of Plywood these days just wanted to confirm which to use.

I agree, I buy mine from my Local Timber Merchants, and once I asked for CHEAP PLY and it de-laminated in about a year, I now only specify Medium Grade, I don't need Marine Ply, but it needs to be fairly good quality.

Hi George,

Hello PT, Yes its Medium (internal) Ply, hope this helps...

Hi George,

How did you manage to remove the numbering? What did you use as I found them rather stubborn!

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty, l used 3000 grit paper with water and a fibre pen very lightly, as you say they are a to shift then touched up with some Railmatch BR blue acrylic, when dry l will brush on some Johnson Klear then apply the transfer l got from Railtech..

• Like 1

The railmatch blue looks a decentish match on there. It wasn't/isn't on my blue Dapol N gauge 56 which is a pain as I want to paint the roof grilles blue (black on the model for some reason) but it stands out like a sore thumb with the colour mismatch.

Edited by RBE

Well l was getting on fine ? then found the transfers l bought were too big ? as they over lapped the cabside

post-7716-0-35105800-1479839436_thumb.jpg

So l went for a smaller number with transfers l already had, l think its the wrong number ? but it fits..

.post-7716-0-94369600-1479839444_thumb.jpg

its easy to renumber if its wrong ? Any ideas Guys...

• Like 5