GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

That looks a cracking job George. I wish I had room and pockets big enough for O gauge. Til then N it is!

Thanks Cav, l know l have said many times in the past that 0 gauge is expensive ? yes it is if you buy everything off the shelf ready made £750 - £2500 easily, but if you can make some locos / wagons from scratch then the price comes down a lot, the small tank locos l built a few years ago cost me about £250 for wheels, motor etc etc, as l said before that l wanted a BR brake van and could not find a 00 gauge one under £22 at the Nottingham show, bloody hell for just over £35 you could buy an 0 gauge PD kit with wheels, say no more...

• Like 2

Thanks Cav, l know l have said many times in the past that 0 gauge is expensive ? yes it is if you buy everything off the shelf ready made £750 - £2500 easily, but if you can make some locos / wagons from scratch then the price comes down a lot, the small tank locos l built a few years ago cost me about £250 for wheels, motor etc etc, as l said before that l wanted a BR brake van and could not find a 00 gauge one under £22 at the Nottingham show, bloody hell for just over £35 you could buy an 0 gauge PD kit with wheels, say no more...

And the pleasure of the Build, which I know you enjoy more than Running Trains.

All this is true but I would want a modern(ish) image one and scratchbuilding a class 47 or class 31 maybe a bit of a stretch. I am then faced with a £400 odd kit before wheels etc. Soon adds up. I am then forced to shuffle around in a tiny yard rather than give the duff some beans on the main! I would need serious real estate to fullfil my dreams!

All this is true but I would want a modern(ish) image one and scratchbuilding a class 47 or class 31 maybe a bit of a stretch. I am then faced with a £400 odd kit before wheels etc. Soon adds up. I am then forced to shuffle around in a tiny yard rather than give the duff some beans on the main! I would need serious real estate to fullfil my dreams!

Hi Cav, You are right Mate the modern scene would be very expensive as every thing seems bigger today, me and Andy were looking in great depth the new EWS Class 60 at my local model shop in Poynton and it was enormous but wow what a loco, it was about 2'6" long and a bigger price over £600, so yes a small 0-6-0 steam loco is a lot cheaper...

• Like 1

Having nearly finished the brake van l am thinking what colour to paint it, cant find many picture of the van with the vac pipes l have fitted so will it be grey or brown ?. any ideas Guys ..

I believe under BR a vacuum fitted brake van would be bauxite.

Many brake vans were only 'through piped' rather than 'fitted' but would still be painted bauxite.  Apart from the lack of vac. cylinders you could tell them apart by the colour of the vacuum standpipes, red on fully fitted, white on through piped only.

Ray.

Hello Kev, Nice to hear from you again, Bauxite you say sounds good to me, thanks mate...

Hi George,

I'm still mooching about on here, usually clicking away on the old like button. My modelling has lapsed a bit lately, I've been spending a lot of time listening to Rory Gallagher and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Which means a lot of time is then spent playing guitar. And last night I ordered a couple of Gary Moore's live albums :)

It's good to see you've moved back to 7mm. I look forward to seeing what you do.

• Like 1

Hi George,

I'm still mooching about on here, usually clicking away on the old like button. My modelling has lapsed a bit lately, I've been spending a lot of time listening to Rory Gallagher and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Which means a lot of time is then spent playing guitar. And last night I ordered a couple of Gary Moore's live albums :)

It's good to see you've moved back to 7mm. I look forward to seeing what you do.

Nothing wrong with that Kev, model railways and guitar two great hobbies...

Hi George excellent work on the wagons and van, especially the brake van braking gear. Do you prefer Parkside or Slater's to build given a choice?

Parkside Dundas are very good but their instructions are vague to say the least, the 21 ton mineral wagon l built this afternoon has no drawing of how the chutes are made at all, so one has to guess and no picture on the web has supplied me with a view on the inside of the hopper, Slaters seem to be a bit more informative with their plans (Thanks to Pete PCM) for supplying them, but they are all a challenge...

• Like 4

Thanks George. You would have thought that someone like the '0' gauge Guild who are always trying to get modellers to switch at shows would have brought peer pressure on these manufactures to at least make sure the instructions are easy to follow, especially on some of the models that new users are going to choose.?

Thanks George. You would have thought that someone like the '0' gauge Guild who are always trying to get modellers to switch at shows would have brought peer pressure on these manufactures to at least make sure the instructions are easy to follow, especially on some of the models that new users are going to choose.?

Good point, but to be fair l dont think they are for the complete beginner as such, what are you going to build next ? 

• Like 1

Looking excellent mate,  I love building PD Vans and 16T Minerals.

Thanks Andy, Yes l agree PD kits are very nice to put together.. when you suss out where the bit and bobs go ? hahahaha

Edited by georgeT

Good point, but to be fair l dont think they are for the complete beginner as such, what are you going to build next ?

Not sure to be honest, probably play around with my existing layouts for a while. I was tempted to have a go at kit building a van or wagon in O gauge but your comments on the instructions and also on another thread about them being vague has put me off, so will think about what to do next over the interim period.

Not sure to be honest, probably play around with my existing layouts for a while. I was tempted to have a go at kit building a van or wagon in O gauge but your comments on the instructions and also on another thread about them being vague has put me off, so will think about what to do next over the interim period.

Morning Brian, Please don't be put off by my comments, as a wagon is simply two sides two ends floor and a roof and a under frame with wheels fairly simple whatever gauge you chose, what l'm saying is that certain parts of the kit needs explaining in more depth if you haven't got the experience to fall on, having said that you will never do anything if you don't try.  good luck...