GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

Morning Bodge, Yes l have fitted plungers to most of my locos, but have found they do cause and lot of drag, whereas the ones with wipers are running free of any problems, so l will go back to wipers, think l will buy a guitar string to try ?

George

• Like 1

Morning Bodge, Yes l have fitted plungers to most of my locos, but have found they do cause and lot of drag, whereas the ones with wipers are running free of any problems, so l will go back to wipers, think l will buy a guitar string to try ?

George

Hi George,

I have used guitar strings for wiper pick-ups, they work fine (not bass guitar strings though!)

Alan.

• RMweb Premium

I always favour wiper style pickups, usually made from Nickel-Silver wire.  Never tried guitar string though.

I find plungers act as brakes, and are impossible to adjust.

Cheeres, Dave.

Hi George, just think of all the Guitar strings we must have thrown away between us when we had the Band, We could have sold the old ones on to Loco builders like you and made a small fortune, hahhaa

Bodge

• Like 1

Morning Mate, Yes they were the days, going to get some strings today l think unwound D sounds about right, let you know how l get on, back to the paint job on the tank loco, its looking a bit better, still needs a lot of work lining etc... 

post-7716-0-61465700-1383040710_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-82871900-1383040714_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Been busy finishing off my shunter, by doing the lining, always have used enamel paints for this, so l did one side all was fine but l made a mistake on the other side, so dipped a cotton bud into thinners and took some paint off forgot the body was  painted in Acrylic, so a heavy weathering job to do...

post-7716-0-74309700-1383243262_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-81926400-1383243267_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-19414200-1383243272_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-73948400-1383243276_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

May as well have just done it brown in the first place George  :sungum:

Its looking good mate, looks a lot more like a mini workhorse now than the bright blue before. I would suggest getting some grime behind the tanks though as it looks a bit 'blue' in there on the pics. I would say that those would be the dirtiest areas as they would probably have never been cleaned from new!

Cav

Morning Cav / Jack, Thanks for the comments, it was always my intention to weather the loco rather heavy as she will be doing a lot of the shunting at 'Grundy St', l learned a few lessons on this one, l'm using both enamel and acrylic and l must say it seems to be more and more acrylics l think they are a lot better. (no awful smell)

When l line with enamel paint you have to wipe off any errors with thinners and this leaves a blotch on your nice paintwork, but l have tried lining with acrylic and it works just as good the problem is you have to work a bit faster as it dries very quick, but you can remove any errors with your fingernail with no blotch, well worth  giving it a try...

George

Looking good mate, I must say that I have got used to Acrylics as my room had no ventilation and as I only do weathering and NOT full re sprays I find them great.

I now use the Tamiya and the XF =Flat range is good for weathering with, often followed up with a little powders for small highlights to take away the monotone look of a normal spray.

Bodgit :sungum:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Peter, Yes l like the letters on the tender tool, its different, as all my locos seem to be the same, so l thought something different was called for, l think they seem a bit on the big side, but having looked at lots of photos they were all different even in the same class ? maybe when they are weathered it may tone them down a bit,

George,    (PS How's the gronk going ?)

Hello Peter, Yes l like the letters on the tender tool, its different, as all my locos seem to be the same, so l thought something different was called for, l think they seem a bit on the big side, but having looked at lots of photos they were all different even in the same class ? maybe when they are weathered it may tone them down a bit,

George,    (PS How's the gronk going ?)

I think they made up the lettering as they went along.

The gronk, is putting up a good fight. I had it running before painting, now the wheels and cranks wants to bind on every part they can.

Every time l looked at the large lettering on the 2f l really didn't like it so have replaced them with smaller ones and l am happier now, just need to detail the loco chassis now weather her and fill with coal..

post-7716-0-69454200-1384603207_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hello Peter. l just could not get the BR lion on the wheel transfer to sit right on the centre rib of the tender, it looked awful, l was watching some locos on You-Tube at Birmingham in the 1950s and a johnson 2f came through the station light engine and it had the early BR totem on the rib, but just don't look right on the model, so l have searched my transfers box and found some smaller BR lettering, and now l am happy, (at last)

George     PS Are you going to keep your 2f and re-brand it to BR ?