Β 

How usual is it for sidings in industrial switching areas to have rail bumpers? Are they generally the Hayes type or are the smaller wheel stops common as well, and did they vary according to area?

Β 

I'm thinking specifically of Pennsylvania from now going back to the 80s. I'd like to model some to give a more finished look but only if it's going to be prototypical.

It varies all over the map, depending on how much money the company had when they built their track, what is the surrounding area, how much space there is, what's beyond the end of the track, etc.

Β 

There is no set standard.

I'd go as far as to say actual "track bumpers" are pretty rare at the end of industrial trackage. Most often it's a crossed pair of ties, a stack of ties, wheel stops, or even, as in one place I noticed last night a pile of dirt or gravel. The deciding factors in determining the approach to use would be (1) What would happen to whatever is beyond the end of track if a car kept rolling off and (2) how hard would it be to get the thing back on the rails?

Well in my case, beyond the ends of the track is a 3ft drop to the floor. Must get the backscene finished.

Β 

But I think a pile of gravel, or a pair of ties as per Pete's photo, will do me just fine, Why spend the money?

Β 

Thanks all.

I'd go as far as to say actual "track bumpers" are pretty rare at the end of industrial trackage. Most often it's a crossed pair of ties, a stack of ties, wheel stops, or even, as in one place I noticed last night a pile of dirt or gravel. The deciding factors in determining the approach to use would be (1) What would happen to whatever is beyond the end of track if a car kept rolling off and (2) how hard would it be to get the thing back on the rails?

Β 

I'd agree with this...I don't need all the fingers on both hands to count the "formal' bumpers I've seen in the wild. If there's a bumper it's either the two ties stuck in the ground like in that photo, or a pile of dirt and ballast. Minivans or SUVs are generally not used :)

Archived