Hawthorn Dene

Les1952

Many thanks for the compliment, always appreciated.

My grandfather used to talk about a small settlement in the Summerhouse/Ingleton area (between Darlington and Staindrop somewhere), which he said was called Seldomseen.  I managed to find a Seldomseen farm- eventually.  He also claimed there was a village just beyond it called Neverseen, but I couldn't find that one.   I wonder if that is where the real catfood mine was........

Back to modelling.    Frustrating day today- trying to get a decoder into one of my 3MT tanks.  Eventually got to the socket, but no joy from the loco once fitted.  Reassembling it without the decoder it doesn't want to play on analogue, either.  That decoder has ended up inside another B1.   The second decoder ran beautifully - in reverse, and shorted to flat out when set to forward.  Putting a different decoder in that loco cured the loco- the decoder failed again in a second loco so has gone back.  However I did get my Jubilee running on DCC- the Jubilee can work a Carlisle to Teesside short parcels train.  With the D20 coming back from Wickness models this afternoon I now have three spare locos .

The second WD is now 90344, a long-time West Hartlepool resident that lasted to 1964.  Heading South in front of the new bits of backscene.

post-13358-0-18736100-1386862188_thumb.jpg

Just for John, 61018 GNU with a coal train.   This train will actually run behind Darlington's 61321 tender-first, largely because 61321 won't run through one of the points bogie-first.

post-13358-0-02553000-1386862187_thumb.jpg

Lastly the new Type 2 meets mostly-weathered 90014.  The WD still needs the wheels doing and a final dusting with chalks before getting a coat of matt varnish.

post-13358-0-95021100-1386862503_thumb.jpg

Plenty still to do.

Les

Edited by Les1952

Just an afterthought- I mentioned 61323 in an earlier post, and 61321 later.  They are the same engine.  I'd originally intended to renumber it as 61323 but then found a picture showing the dynamo was different to the model (either it had one and the model didn't or the other way round....)

However I found a pic of 61321 which was the same as the model, so 61321 it is.  Both were Darlington engines (as was 61018) so it didn't really matter.  The third one of my B1s is 61005 Bongo, and this will probably stay analogue for use on Top Valley/Rise Park.

Confused?  You should be....

Les

I am I am. . . The W D looks decidedly filthy - very prototype.

If you look at the

Card structure modelling forum

there is a thread about creating brick structures which has arches. It's OO but will probably scale down for the bridge over the beach road.

John

Edited by Two_sugars

• RMweb Gold

A quick word of advice if you don't mind........

..... if you ever get invited to the Newcastle exhibition take off the pigeon Cree.

Seriously though, will the crees eventually be in some form of allotment gardens?

Thanks for that, though I'm not likely to get as far as Newcastle exhibition.   The ground around the crees is a bit steep for allotments- they're going to have some of their own land, and maybe some vegetables (if I can get leeks sorted out), and the main allotment area will be to the right of the terraced houses. 

I've got to re-do the arch brickwork, which is card overlaid on the main plasticard structure- it hasn't stood the test of time.  I think the replacement layer will be plasticard.  The windows into card are those on the side of the screening house- I've got some brass frames that are the right size, but have buried them.

All the very best

Les

Looking again at the ground by the crees it flattens off with enough space for each to have its own allotment space.

Now, a question.  Looking at pics of the Easington Colliery area in the sixties, I see very few trees, which means I can get by with just a couple of trees near the back- or even just the one to mask a change in the backscene.  That means I can spend a bit more and get a tree that actually looks like the species it is supposed to be.

The question is- is there at least one oak tree in the Easington area?   The tree will sit at the right-hand end of the allotments behind the colliery railway.

All the very best

Les

On the beach banks between the line and the sea there were very few trees - mainly hawthorn hedgeing and gorse bushes.

There were trees to  the north in Hawthorn dene and to the south of the station in Foxholes Dene.

You are using the name of Hawthorn Dene. . . . .

Hope this helps

John

Yes, I'd got the impression that there were very few trees- there are the two lines of what is actually OO-gauge privet trees (which will be doctored a bit to look more like hawthorn) , and I need just the one more tree- every other backscene problem will have a building or a tower or a chimney parked in front of it. 

Looking on Google Satellite there seem to be one or two odd trees on the part of Holmhill Lane that Streetview doesn't cover, and quite a few in back gardens round The Crescent- so an odd tree in the allotments to the right of the houses wouldn't be so far out of character.

Due to space the layout has to be an impression rather than an actuality.  

I've also looked at the conveyor and the aerial ropeway that took away beach spoil.  Would I be right in thinking the conveyor was much more recent than the ropeway, and that it was cladded in grey?   I also get the impression that the ropeway towers were black (or more likely rusty black...)  I'm going for an older version of the conveyor, the Marsh one is definitely an earlier prototype.  Rusty black seems the most appropriate for its age.

On the positive side I think I've better edging for the underbridge bridge arch on its way- even if the replacement isn't as prototypical- the individual vertical bricks just don't show up as such.  I've also got a source for some railings for the bridge parapet- better ones that I could make from scratch.

Still plenty to do and think about.

Les

Edited by Les1952

I was a regular around the 'flight' until about '68 when we moved to Peterlee. . . No conveyor up till then.

I lived "up Canada" (holme hill estate) till then. Around the estate and between there and the line, there were various types of tree - I seem to recall a lot of elderberries

Used to play on the 'Flight! ! ! Filthy black and rusty! ! !  !  !  !  

Edited by Two_sugars

I think the conveyor must have replaced the 'flight', probably at the time that Merry-go-round trains replaced the colliery shunters (early seventies).  Would make sense adding it at that point as the screens would mostly be redundant at that time.  I need a conveyor to hide the railway exits at that end, so this old pit had both.....

I'm glad you said the flight was rusty black- I've just got the first mast painted.

There will be elderberries in amongst the fencing above the main line- I assume the present post and wire is quite ancient- it is easier to do that than all-wood.

I spent a long time on eBay tonight looking at 'signature' trees, and the odd tree will be an elm, a bit more widespread than oaks (at least around Darlington, which isn't that much further South), and a recognisable species tree- at least I can recognise one........

I've also found a supply of suitable allotment plants, and a way of representing leeks.  Maybe not getting my hands dirty tonight, but at least still moving.

And so to bed.

Les

Edited by Les1952

A busy day

Lots and lots of small bits- starting with vacuuming the whole layout again to get rid of bits that aren't stuck down.  I've had some wargamers' long grass clumps arrive in the post this morning so I've stuck some of these on the layout.  They look good, but I think I'm going to need far more than the 120 in the pack....

post-13358-0-24655700-1387381602_thumb.jpg

Some gorse bushes and some clump grass applied round the bridge.  Starting to look as if it might be half decent when it is finished....

post-13358-0-71778000-1387381606_thumb.jpg

Moving a little further I've stuck the houses down and laid the first layer of plaster to raise the ground a little behind them.  There will be a mud or mud-and-cinder path behind them from the lane to the allotments.  I've also got some of the hedge done round the allotment area- this should separate the allotments from the end of the colliery yard.

post-13358-0-01654800-1387381608_thumb.jpg

Trevor had done the second try at the old screening/washing house.  It now looks a little flat- I may use part of the first one to deepen one end of it.  Weathering still to do- the prototype at Backworth was dirty grey in colour and well overgrown- the bricks were a lot darker also. 

post-13358-0-71481600-1387381603_thumb.jpg

Continuing along the layout the current screens have been stuck down.  I've tried to make it look like an old building partially modernised.  There is still stuff to do to the walls and roof but the shell isn't going to improve shape-wise if I leave it unstuck.

post-13358-0-12424900-1387381605_thumb.jpg

Lastly the conveyor is installed- still a lot of dirt and bits to add in this area.

Off to Digitrains tomorrow with the next pair of Farish locos, this time a pair of V2s, the double-chimneyed one and the one with outside steam pipes.  The G5 will go to Wickness Models in the New Year.

Plenty to do- first of all a trip into the loft to find a pair of V2 boxes.....

Les

• Like 1

Many thanks yet again for the nice words...

A frustrating day

Jim and I went to Digitrains this morning.  First cock-up was Jim leaving the locos he had taken for chipping behind and having to go back for them- second was me forgetting the blown Bachmann decoder I want exchanging.    We then missed the turn off the A17, followed by missing the turn back on to it after turning round.....

Purchases-

one patch panel to finish the four along the back of the layout- got home and found it was the wrong type.... 

one lead to daisychain said patch panel, it fits where I was going to use it but the lead I've displaced with it won't reach the last baseboard hole....

one Zimo chip (but I've forgotten which loco I bought it for)

one holder for the second Powercab to fit to the back of the layout- fitted and holds the cab - I suppose one out of four can't be bad.

Also arrived today a set of Medcalfe tunnel mouths bought cheaply for parts.  The arch from one of them has provided a new set of keystones for the underbridge- dirtied slightly with chalk before fittig.

post-13358-0-01068400-1387465395_thumb.jpg

A type 3 grumbles over the improved underbridge heading South with brakevan in tow (wheelchair punter's view).

Plenty still to do- starting with trying to remember which loco I bought the decoder for....

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

I've been thinking...

Dangerous way to start a post but true all the same- and it has to happen sometime...

When Jim came round on Thursday we had a play with the layout to see how he got on with the proposed way of running it.  Overall not too bad in principle, but he had difficulty with numbers and addresses (only to be expected as I set them up and can remember them).  

Overnight thought brought to mind that I had a set of self-adhesive strip magnets bought from Bookseller at 99p for four earlier in the year.   Strip cut to length and stuck to backscene to represent the five sidings at the departure end -the other five at the other end of the layout..  For each loco a shorter strip with card stuck to it and the address and a short desrciption e.g-

J27 65860   or  4-car DMU 41 

post-13358-0-02282400-1387641158_thumb.jpg

Picture gives the impression.  This is the departure end of the Northbound fiddle sidings.  Much easier to read than the numbers on the sides of the engines.   Next is to see how Mr Simon finds working the layout next week....

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

Mr Simon home for Christmas

... with ore wagons.  Not prototypical for this layout but will go a treat on Rise Park.  Standard Farish wagons but weathered individually.  Here they are on a Northbound working behind J39/3 64840.  Shows up that the loco needs weathering.....

Second video showing Type 2 D5013 with half-finished brake tender on s Southbound Limestone train meeting the J39 travelling North again.    Note the route of the cinder path in front of the allotments has been painted in and thet the two elm trees have arrived.  Despite the prototype's lack of many trees I've decided to use both of them- but that is probably all.

Mr Simon seemed to pick up the operating system very quickly but will no doubt add caustic comments later if that isn't the case. 

Merry Christmas to one and all- I can't see anything new happening now before the weekend.

All the very best

Les

• Like 1

A couple of questions...

1.  Did Durham District's double-deckers get through Easington Colliery, or would the only ealy Lodekkas be United ones on (I think) the 40?  I'm going to put a Lodekka (I can't get anything suitable for NGT) behind the cottages, positioned so you can't see that the destination, fleetname and rear open platform are all wrong, but I'm not sure whether to get a red one or a green one....

2.  Were the fields between the railway and the coast arable or was there any livestock kept there?  I'm looking at the flat area at the front and the edge of a field is a possibility..

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952

A couple of questions...

1.  Did Durham District's double-deckers get through Easington Colliery, or would the only ealy Lodekkas be United ones on (I think) the 40?  I'm going to put a Lodekka (I can't get anything suitable for NGT) behind the cottages, positioned so you can't see that the destination, fleetname and rear open platform are all wrong, but I'm not sure whether to get a red one or a green one....

2.  Were the fields between the railway and the coast arable or was there any livestock kept there?  I'm looking at the flat area at the front and the edge of a field is a possibility..

All the very best

Les

DDS buses only came as far as the village. . . The 40 was a United Bus services route but also covered by Northern (darker Red) who also ran the SDO in Navy/white livery on the route. It was a United route from Hartlepool  to the village and a Northern route from there to Sunderland.  The 16 ton ore wagons were also used in East Durham. There is video of coal trains using Wooden, 16 ton steel, and 21 ton hoppers.

The fields were mainly crops because of the proximity of the cliffs I guess . . . .

Hope this lot's helpful

John

Edited by Two_sugars

DDS buses only came as far as the village. . . The 40 was a United Bus services route but also covered by Northern (darker Red) who also ran the SDO in Navy/white livery on the route. It was a United route from Hartlepool  to the village and a Northern route from there to Sunderland.  The 16 ton ore wagons were also used in East Durham. There is video of coal trains using Wooden, 16 ton steel, and 21 ton hoppers.

The fields were mainly crops because of the proximity of the cliffs I guess . . . .

Hope this lot's helpful

John

Thanks for that- it will be a red Lodekka hiding behind the cottages, then.  West Hartlepool depot had quite a collection of them.  

I suspect the 16 tonners on coal were standard 16 ton minerals- there is a rake of assorted 16-tonners (wood and steel) on the layout, and I'll load a mix of hoppers and 16-tonners through the screens.  Ore wagons were 24-tonners with no doors specially for ore traffic.  They were unloaded by tipping them upside down (or at least beyond sideways).  They were common in the East Midlands, so will be used on Rise Park.

No animals in front of the railway, then.  I would have had to buy some.  A bare field isn't quite right there- I'll need to think about it again.  Still, this area is likely to be the last one done to save me breaking it by leaning over to do the back.

All the very best

Les

The other United bus to pass regularly was the 41 hartlepool to durham. Best keep it to United as Northern/SDO didn't use the Lodekka.

They used a later model of the Routemaster with a front door.

I got some waterslide transfers made up for an Easington Colliery wooden  wagon as there were still some in use until the mid/late sixties.

If your interested I'll try to find the detail.

John

The other United bus to pass regularly was the 41 hartlepool to durham. Best keep it to United as Northern/SDO didn't use the Lodekka.

They used a later model of the Routemaster with a front door.

I got some waterslide transfers made up for an Easington Colliery wooden  wagon as there were still some in use until the mid/late sixties.

If your interested I'll try to find the detail.

John

Yes please if you can find the details for the transfers- though Fox appear to do transfers for NCB Hetton (I'm not sure if they cover South Hetton and will have to go back to my slides to look). 

I remember Northern's Routemasters well, trying to time journeys from Darlington to Durham to get a Routemaster on the 46 rather than a Lodekka.  Similarly being in hope at Durham that the bus up to Gilesgate Moor on the 57 would be a blue PD3 rather than an Atlantean or a Lodekka- that was the 57 route.

The 41 (241 by the time I was travelling from home in Hartlepool to my mate's in Durham) was a b-slow through route.  I used to try to get the Trimdon if possible- more direct despite the grand tour of the Trimdons and much faster.

All the very best for the Festive Season.

Les

• Like 1

I had them made up by Railtec Models in 'N' gauge from a photo I got from the Durham archive websight.

Contact at Railtec was Steven Bell           http://www.railtec-models.com.    If you quote Ticket ID no 84 he may be able to reference it from that.

I tried to include a photo but it wouldn't take for some reason.

Back to buses, United also ran a Peterlee/Horden/Easington circular service no: 83 (later became 90) but that was always a single decker.

Hope this lot helps

John

Edited by Two_sugars

Very many thanks fior that- it does indeed help.  

I think the 83 would be an amalgam of the routes that Trimdon Moror Services ran in the Peterlee area until 1961, when they passed them to United.  The three routes all started at Horden Stores and made their way by devious means to Easington Village, all passing through Acre Rigg at one point but different places in between.  TMS bought six uncomfortable Ford buses in 1960 for the routes but had sold them all on by the end of 1962, replacing some with coaches on the longer routes.

Mr Simon spends Boxing Day with friends so I've been in the workshop getting on with some details.  

post-13358-0-58249300-1388082400_thumb.jpg

First is the bridge- it now has its railings.  The prototype has six sections but they run the whole length of the parapet.  I decided that six plus a short one would look silly- it was easier to cut every other stanchion from the Faller railings and leave it a little short at both ends.  Cruel enlargement shows I got some of the concrete colour on the brick- touching up needed here.  The clump grass down the side of the embankment is an improvement, but I need an awful lot more.

post-13358-0-07796300-1388082402_thumb.jpg

Another cruel enlargement.  The screening house is getting a few embellishments- the duckboards over the roof with another section of Faller railing and some thin balsa, a ladder from a ratio chimney kit and the steps and platform from an old Pola colliery kit that is dying of plastic fatigue.   Another stairway from this has been laid down the embankment below the coal drops and painted white.  There isn't enough of a cutting to put steps up the other side.   I've also been working the area at the back of the houses but that picture didn't come out.  Better luck next time.

Time to go and list some more on eBay to pay for all this.....

Les

edit- funny how you think you've improved your typing and find you haven't.  I typed screening houes then used edit to change it to screening houese before having a third go ad getting it right (I hope.....)

Edited by Les1952

Hello again.

The three TMS routes were-

Horden Station - Peterlee - Acre Rigg - Horden Colliery - Easington Village,

Horden Station -Peterlee - Dene House - Horden Stores - Easington Village.

Horden Victoria Club - Acre Rigg - Dene House - Peterlee Manor Way.

http://galleries.trimdon.net/photo-gallery-index-page/trimdon-motor-services/

Hopefully this link to a TMS ford bus on one of the services will work.   The Manor Way service was claimed to be the first one-mam-operated bus in County Durham, but I can't vouch for how accurate that is.  The routes were sold to Untited in mid 1961.

Les

PS it goes to the contact sheet- the Ford is the top left image.....

Edited by Les1952