For those of us operating a shunting (switching) layout, especially one with limited space, Pacific Western Rail Systems are offering the Broadway Limited version of a "Trackmobile" They are on offer at about £50 a pop ($80). PWRS state that reservation (pre-order) is required before the end of March, for delivery in July. However I suspect that if they get orders they will honour (honor) them. After all, business is business.

If your interest is in shunting goods wagons up and down sidings ( switching freight cars in a yard) or in a small industrial location, these look like they will do the trick whilst at the same time not taking up as much valuable space as a locomotive. My only concern would be, with such a small wheelbase, whether they will keep going over "insulfrog" points (switches).

Hope the information is useful.

I have no association with PWRS or Broadway Limited

Armchair

Just to add a bit more info. There are a number of “road names†a small variety of colours and versions available, “in factory paint†(Trackmobile branded as if from the builders) and some unbranded so you could put your own branding on.

I forgot to mention that they come in DC and DCC modes. About $80 (£50) for DC about $110 for DCC.

Enough waffle here is a link.

Again I emphasise I have no association with PWRS or Broadway Limited

I just think they look useful for small layouts where space is at a premium or as part of a modern industrial set up

Armchair

The vast majority of trackmobiles are owned by industries and operate on private track. Railroads only use them in specific circumstances, mostly in car repair shops. A few have been used in heavily industrialized areas on the east coast where they used to use 0-4-0T's. They would be virtually useless in a typical US switching yard because they can't control more than a handfull of cars.

Based on my experience with short wheelbase steamers, I would think that insul-frog switches would present some problems.

Archived