Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

Some Basic Work on Atlas HO GP40M

Hi,

I thought I'd whip up the courage to share the results of an hour or so's modelling I've managed to do after a hectic few months at work during which I've done nothing hobby wise. I decided to get out an HO BN Atlas GP40M to fit it's manufacturer supplied details, relocate the horn and fit a Details West antenna in something like the correct place. It still needs a cab vent, speed recorder and a new plough fitting which are on order from Highball Graphics. I may also replace the factory supplied shades with some of the etched Cal Scale ones I have in stock. This is the result before I do some light weathering with the Airbrush tomorrow.

post-61-0-59318800-1332626999_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-53054600-1332627035_thumb.jpg

I really don't have the time to go to the levels I'd like but the main thing is that I've managed to do something and I might even get the chance to attack two Tanget Covered Hoppers with some grime too if SWMBO doesn't suprise me with any of her cunning plans.

More tomorrow.......

Chris

Just a quick update, I was having a quick browse through some pictures of some BN GP40Ms on the net earlier and have noticed I've mounted the horn too far forward on the long hood, and that it will need a Details West Horn Stand which I've just ordered. Also the cab air vent is in-fact a "Can" radio antenna, also now ordered. Anyway I'll get out the filler and paint and patch the hole where the horn was relocated, then do some weathering later.

Cheers

Chris

Another quick update, I didn't get as far as I wanted yesterday, I ended up practicing my weathering technique using a new Iwata Neo airbrush I bought from the Nottingham show (I already have an Iwata Revolution CS). It felt 'different' when I started to use it on some plain paper before starting to weather the GP40. Don't get me wrong, it is an excellent piece of kit for its price and has the fine sized needle which I wanted, but the trigger action and paint flow is different from what I am used to and I was not going to 'practice' on a new model. Anyway, it also gave me the chance to try out the Com-Art 'Real Deal' weathering set I got for Xmas. I decided a few years ago to start to use Acrylics rather than Enamels for pracical reasons (I cannot use respirators as I had to have the inside of my mouth and throat 're-plumbed' a few years ago and they nearly suffocate me) and I have settled on using ModelFlex and Lifecolour. Anyway I digress. I must say that I was quite suprised at how good the Com-Art paints are. I would have been suprised if they did not work as they are also manufactured by Iwata, however the very subtle fading and dusting effects which can be achieved are amazing, and with a bit of practice I think will be very good on US outline stock. I might have another play tonight when I've finished doing some more stuff for work (I needed to have a break for 5 mins after staring at a spreadsheet for the last 6 hours!) and will post some pictures if I get time. Anyway keep looking, I will get round to weathering something sometime this week..... Cheers Chris

Hi Chris,

Looks nice, you often don't have to put on all the bells & whistles (sorry) to capture the look as many roads keep their locos fairly "stock". I do like the relocated horns they're a feature I've done on most of my CP Rail locos, I believe the reason is to reduce noise levels in the cab.

I've found Highball Graphics to be very good, his decals are great too.

Nick

Archived