New OO gauge Class 73

For me the no reply suggests a basic lack of customer service and respect for customers who are going to be paying hundreds upon hundreds of pounds for there models. I am planning on buying both DRS and both ScotRail liveried models in 00 Gauge, so that's four in total so far. I might even buy the Chiltern pair but it depends upon if there are any other models which I would rather have at the time. If I do buy them two too that will be all six of the first batch. In that case that will be over £700 on six models. I mean if I'm not worth a quick reply to one email when I'm going to be spending at least £500, then it does make you wonder.

Didn't realise DRS, ScotRail or Chiltern had any 73s!  :jester:

Ed

Well the DRS Class 68s are not Class 73s but it still relates to the same manufacturer and the lack of basic customer service.

Of course, what you have not done, is mention when exactly you allegedly sent your emails. If recently, then I don't know if you noticed, but there has been a little thing called Christmas holidays recently. Also, is it not possible that your alleged emails haven't got through to Dapol?. I think it is rather unfair that you continually slam Dapo's customer service, just because you have not had a reply from them for whatever reason.  IIRC you continually complained about Bachmann selling Olivia's trains cancelled Ltd Edn DRS Loco at Warley despite the fact no such announcement from Bachmann doing so had ever been made.

Quite frankly your continuous knocking of manufacturers is becoming a bit of a bore.

Edited by steveb860
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes sorry.

The email was sent in September. It was done via the Dapol website in the contact us section. That excludes anything to do with Christmas and New Year and they must have received it because it was sent via the correct method and we are now three months down the line and there is still no reply (no pun intended).

The fact that Dapol haven't replied to other people too as well as myself but regarding different models (Class 68s and 73s) suggests that they lack basic customer service.

I am not knocking any manufacturer. In fact I have just received 22 new Dapol Network Rail IOAs that I am extremely pleased with. I am also very pleased with all of Bachmann's models.

I am referring to Dapol's customer service in general including comments made by myself and other people.

Having now seen a number of versions in the flesh I decided to cancel my pre-order yesterday for no other reason than I didn't see why I should pay £120+ for something that I would always know had so many potential defects both visual and mechanical/electrical. These defects may be there because the Chinese factory either couldn't be bothered to get it right or was not given the right information to enable it to to get it right.

As a result I don't think I will be risking my money on any other model from Dapol in the foreseeable future, I sincerely hope that the Class 68 will be a turning point and that we will get a quality item this time round.

Nearly all manufacturers have some models with some minor errors, most do try to get it right, sometimes with help and advice from forums like RMWEB. Some compromises are forced on manufacturers because of the sheer cost and complexity of reducing the full size item to a 2mm or 4mm model, I can accept these as not to would mean either mean no model at all or one that I maybe could not afford.

I think a bit of perspective is needed here, and the thread is now becoming circular.

Hear hear! Second batch shall be something for us all to look forward too. Those like me overjoyed with the outstanding GBRf 73s through Olivias and those who want their livery etc correct. (Though I confess I do now look forward to reading the daily moan!)

It was done via the Dapol website in the contact us section.

Would you consider retracting your previous comments towards Dapol's communication. Two pieces of information which are to be found on this forum and Dapol's social media, make the error in your attempt to communicate with Dapol clear. First, social media confirms Dapol have had problems with their website's 'contact us' section. Secondly, having this published on social media and voiced on this forum, always best to email the Gentlemen of Dapol directly through their well published email addresses.

Received GBRF 73206 from Invicta models today. Run in on DC as in manufactures instructions, Superb slow speed operation and excellent livery. Did the same with 73105 (BR Blue with large logo) with the same results. No issues and happy with the product.....any questions!!!!

• Like 3

Received GBRF 73206 from Invicta models today. Run in on DC as in manufactures instructions, Superb slow speed operation and excellent livery. Did the same with 73105 (BR Blue with large logo) with the same results. No issues and happy with the product.....any questions!!!!

Yes, do you work for Dapol?

Just kidding:)

Would you consider retracting your previous comments towards Dapol's communication. Two pieces of information which are to be found on this forum and Dapol's social media, make the error in your attempt to communicate with Dapol clear. First, social media confirms Dapol have had problems with their website's 'contact us' section. Secondly, having this published on social media and voiced on this forum, always best to email the Gentlemen of Dapol directly through their well published email addresses.

Could you assist with the email address, please, or details of where to find it. I will re-send my original messages sent via their "Contact us" section on their web site. Which "social media" are we talking about here, please? I checked the Facebook Dapol page and found nothing useful there, and I am not on Twitter or any other social media.

I agree that this thread has turned into a bit of a bash, but people are just voicing their frustration. It's good to note that there are a lot of folk who are perfectly happy too. Bottom line is that if I pay (say) £40 for a secondhand loco on ebay, it will likely have problems and that's only to be expected. "Buyer beware" etc. If I pay circa £130 for a new loco, it shouldn't have any problems. I don't think that's unreasonable.

• Like 1

Could you assist with the email address, please, or details of where to find it. I will re-send my original messages sent via their "Contact us" section on their web site. Which "social media" are we talking about here, please? I checked the Facebook Dapol page and found nothing useful there, and I am not on Twitter or any other social media.

Of course :)

Earlier back in this thread I posted this:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54082-new-oo-gauge-class-73/?p=1980634

Best general email would be sales@Dapol.co.uk, any email to Joel, Andy or Richard .

Social media is 'The Facebook' - Social media is not for me either, but, Dapol's page is open to the public and looking down 'Visitors Posts' all the information ever needed is there. Emails, about the 'Contact us' page, as well as interesting information on up coming products. Follow this link, and open the comments: https://www.facebook.com/Dapol-Ltd-214563285228094/posts_to_page/

Edited by Andy Y

Of course :)

Earlier back in this thread I posted this:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54082-new-oo-gauge-class-73/?p=1980634

Best general email would be sales@Dapol.co.uk, any email to Joel, Andy or Richard - all true gentlemen - would be confidential and not for RMWeb.

Social media is 'The Facebook' - Social media is not for me either, but, Dapol's page is open to the public and looking down 'Visitors Posts' all the information ever needed is there. Emails, about the 'Contact us' page, as well as interesting information on up coming products. Follow this link, and open the comments: https://www.facebook.com/Dapol-Ltd-214563285228094/posts_to_page/

I was contacted by Kevin Grindley (sales admin manager) when i contacted Dapol with issues with my O gauge terrier, when they were having issues with breakages etc in boxes, as they recognised there was problems and requested contact via their website. so i carried out the request as per their instructions.

He promised me replacement parts, which never came, so contacted him again by email as dcc supplies stock my parts as replacement spares.  if they've got them why haven't i?

still waiting a response, so don't hold your breath

Oh yes sorry.

The email was sent in September. It was done via the Dapol website in the contact us section. That excludes anything to do with Christmas and New Year and they must have received it because it was sent via the correct method and we are now three months down the line and there is still no reply (no pun intended).

The fact that Dapol haven't replied to other people too as well as myself but regarding different models (Class 68s and 73s) suggests that they lack basic customer service.

I am not knocking any manufacturer. In fact I have just received 22 new Dapol Network Rail IOAs that I am extremely pleased with. I am also very pleased with all of Bachmann's models.

I am referring to Dapol's customer service in general including comments made by myself and other people.

Did you check your Spam folder, it sounds odd I know, but I thought I had not received a reply from Dapol. It turned out they had indeed replied and the message had been sitting their the whole time. May be a bit difficult to prove if this is the case if your Spam folder automatically empties.

• RMweb Premium

I do check my spam folder regularly because I get notifications when I get messages in that folder. Most of the emails in my spam folder just get deleted straight away because there just the usual rubbish. I have never had any train/model railway related emails in my spam folder.

Thank you for the help and the suggestion. It's very much appreciated.

Just received my 'Royal Alex' and am very happy. As noted elsewhere, yellow is too 'lemony' and OH warning labels aren't right but I can live with these. I haven't checked the livery against my photos yet but I am definitely not disappointed.

I am also impressed to have a set of etched nameplates.

No bits falling off and buffers all straight.

Well done to Gaugemaster and Dapol.

• Like 2

personally, that is a poor rendition of the nameplate and the U in Pullman should straddle the gutter drain, so something is amiss

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36034969@N08/18398574924/

I agree with the nameplate but, given there is an etched set, this will be resolved.

The U in Pullman does straddle the gutter drain on the other side of the loco to that photographed.

I agree with the nameplate but, given there is an etched set, this will be resolved.

The U in Pullman does straddle the gutter drain on the other side of the loco to that photographed.

Just rechecked and, my apolgies, the U is to one side of the gutter drain. The word 'Pullman' is not correctly positioned on this side of the loco.

It was commented on yesterday that the etched 'evening argus' plates oddly had a black background (I think they were only ever brown?), what's the situation with the 'royal alex' plates please. Black or brown?

I assume the pullman livery rendition for the alex is the same for the argus? Could you maybe kindly post some pictures of the loco also including a front end shot. I think the yellow panel is too low and too wide but how much of an issue this is visually I am not sure of course.

Cheers!

On the subject of livery errors, for some they wont be an issue for others it will be serious - it will often depend on how familiar you are with the particular loco or livery (or what you run it alongside). Of course if manufacturers got it right it will be an issue for no one!!

and the warning flashes on the front are too low

other than that, it is excellent  :O

Compared to my photos of Royal Alex at Crewe open day in 1997, the warning flashes look correctly positioned to me.

It was commented on yesterday that the etched 'evening argus' plates oddly had a black background (I think they were only ever brown?), what's the situation with the 'royal alex' plates please. Black or brown?

They are black as per the real thing.

I assume the pullman livery rendition for the alex is the same for the argus? Could you maybe kindly post some pictures of the loco also including a front end shot. I think the yellow panel is too low and too wide but how much of an issue this is visually I am not sure of course.

Cheers!

On the subject of livery errors, for some they wont be an issue for others it will be serious - it will often depend on how familiar you are with the particular loco or livery (or what you run it alongside). Of course if manufacturers got it right it will be an issue for no one!!

Just received my 'Royal Alex' and am very happy. As noted elsewhere, yellow is too 'lemony' and OH warning labels aren't right but I can live with these. I haven't checked the livery against my photos yet but I am definitely not disappointed.

I am also impressed to have a set of etched nameplates.

No bits falling off and buffers all straight.

Well done to Gaugemgaster and Dapol.

I'm interested in this model (alex) or the Gatwick Express version and it does look good to me.

and the more i look, the plate under the 2nd mans window should not be central

As you can appreciate, I am having a great time comparing my model to my photos. I agree that the plate should not be central.

the top brown line should be lower than the side windows and the light pin striping is too close to the bottom of the body

I don't agree about the top brown but do agree about the striping (but this is marginal).

Of course I am comparing to my photos of Royal Alex in May 1997 and not Brighton Evening Argus so this could explain some of the differences.

Regardless I hope that you don't mind my comments as they are not a criticism as we could both be right depending upon when the livery was first applied and then reapplied.