New OO gauge Class 73

Calm down people.......

These are "Pre-production Models" with a paint job.

It has already been stated that Dapol are aware of the issues with typeface and it will be corrected on the models that hit the shops.

I would hope that they would also be aware of the correct livery specifications and have compared them very carefully with published images and informed their production people about the errors.

When they hit the shops and they're painted bright orange and have LMS emblazoned across them, then you can complain.

But until then............

If that's the case,maybe Dapol shouldn't show the pre-production models when the general release date for this item is expected to be next month.

The 1992 version of the 73138 Dutch livery should have a cantrail stripe, depot plaque, BR arrow under the number and black colouring around the grilles:

16893956040_dfb0269a13_c.jpg73138 at Reading by jon33040, on Flickr

Also, why have they painted the cab roof black only below the horns?  I can't find any photographs of a Dutch 73 like that, surely the entire roof should be grey?

Edited by darkjunglemung

And the real things didn't have silver-coloured wheels.  Or enormous automatic couplings sticking out of each end. Or 12 volt motors inside. Or…..

Keep things in perspective, people!

Meanwhile, some cheese with your whines?

• RMweb Gold

Calm down people.......

These are "Pre-production Models" with a paint job.

It has already been stated that Dapol are aware of the issues with typeface and it will be corrected on the models that hit the shops.

Dapol don't seem to care about the issues with the typefaces on their private-owner wagons.

Best advice to those with livery and typeface concerns would be to wait and see when the production models arrive but personally, I'm fed up waiting. This really has been the neverending story! When they do arrive, some folk will love them and be totally happy, some folk will find fault. I certainly don't see the point of stressing over details when no-one has an actual production model to hand... you just don't know, do you?

Complete sympathy with those who just plan to add some detail to their Hornby/Lima models though... Patience is a virtue, they say. Well, I must be very bad person as mine ran out a while ago.

• RMweb Gold

Best advice to those with livery and typeface concerns would be to wait and see when the production models arrive but personally, I'm fed up waiting. This really has been the neverending story! When they do arrive, some folk will love them and be totally happy, some folk will find fault. I certainly don't see the point of stressing over details when no-one has an actual production model to hand... you just don't know, do you?

Complete sympathy with those who just plan to add some detail to their Hornby/Lima models though... Patience is a virtue, they say. Well, I must be very bad person as mine ran out a while ago.

My patience ran out too, sorry Dapol, so much so that I bought an early blue Lima 73 off eBay on Monday. Managed to get 2 Lima/Hornby 73's for half what these new ones are going to cost, and have ordered a Kernow Thumper instead.

Tbh, looking at the pre-production shots, I think the Lima body moulding is going to stand up pretty well against the Dapol model. Ok, no etched grills etc, but the Lima body was always one of their best.

Is it me, or does the front across the cab windows look a bit odd, just a little too flat? Might just be the photos, but that's the first impression I got.

I'm certain that they are nearly here, as Dapol have advertised them for the first time, via their magazine adverts, which they only do when an item is imminent. They are a bit later than their first advert, which advised a July distribution, but this also happened with the first release of the Class 22 and 52 models, which were a couple of months after the first adverts. Yes there has been a delay, but that has been the same for all Dapol new products for the last 2 years. It is a small company and they went through considerable reorganisation and delay following the departure of their chief designer and product development manager. They say there are a number of 'oo' gauge new items that they are planning to release this year (Class 73, Class 121 &122, GW Railcar, Class 21 and 29) but I doubt that is realistic, but I will still wait for their 121 and 122 railcars in 'oo' gauge as I expect the detail and mechanism to be a significant improvement on the Hornby/Lima version, and the Class 21 is not going to be modelled by any other maker now that Dapol have drawings for it.

Apart from the livery and headlamp issue's, this 73 just doesn't look right to me. Think I'll be keeping hold of my old Lima versions (remotored) for some time !!!

Yeah, cab roof looks a bit more 'creased' that it should. Will wait until I see one for myself but surprised that it looks to be wrong in whats basically a box shaped loco............

Edited by LaGrange

Dapol's website has been updated with the latest news regarding these models. As suggested earlier it seems the majority of the problems raised here are known and will be corrected for the production models. Unfortunately this suggestes that production may not yet have started - delivery for Christmas?

From Dapol....

NEWS LINK
http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information/news&news_id=125#.VcIMjnGqqko

Inter-City
http://Dapol.co.uk/image/data/HK-73102.jpg

BR Blue Large Logo
http://Dapol.co.uk/image/data/HK-73105.jpg

BR Blue
http://Dapol.co.uk/image/data/HK-73124.jpg

Civil Engineers Dutch
http://Dapol.co.uk/image/data/HK-73138.jpg

GBRf
http://Dapol.co.uk/image/data/HK-73206.jpg

SR Green (Collector's Club)
http://Dapol.co.uk/image/data/HK-E6001.jpg

SR Green
http://Dapol.co.uk/image/data/HK-E6003.jpg

Rail Blue
http://Dapol.co.uk/image/data/HK-E6039.jpg

(Please forgive me if I got any names wrong, the Class 73 and it's original liveries existed much before I was even thought off...so bear with me...)

Edited by WDP4D
  • Like 1

Note at the bottom of the page linked in #412

"More samples will be here shortly and these once the errors have been remedied are into production"

Note at the bottom of the page linked in #412

"More samples will be here shortly and these once the errors have been remedied are into production"

Green ones look good! I think we'll be lucky to see them this year if their waiting for a second set of deco samples to sign off? Still I'm happy to wait. I remember talking to the Dapol rep at Ally Pally who scoffed at me when I said end of 2013-in reply to his comment about them being available in 2012!

Thanks for the updates about the Dapol info on their facebook account. As it appears that they have only recently received liveries for the 73s to review pre production and some need amendment, which will require further livery samples to be sent from China, I have to ask, why did they schedule the release of the Dapol 73 versions, in their adverts, for July and August dates. Even with magazine lead times they must have known that livery samples hadn't been received or approved, so why not pull that part of the advert. We must be talking of a further 3-4 months before stock arrives in the UK. It's not a deal breaker for me, as only having ordered a BR green version, but it gives an impression of a poor state of organisation.

Announced March 2012, delivery early 2016 (maybe)...???

Someone's being made a mug of here. In less time, you can conceive a child and raise him/her to nursery school age.

Just picked up a mint blue Lima 73 from the local model shop. £29.99 well spent, and I now categorically have zero interest in the Dapol one, although I will remain amused and curious as to the final due date...

Good luck, folks.

• Like 3

It is good that Dapol are acknowledging the livery and errors and are going to change them, but you have to ask why have they been made in the first place? It is not like they are modelling Fowler's Ghost of which one- black and white too- photo exists. The 73s have been photted to death in all their liveries so it is just a case of doing the research.

A few other livery errors that I noted on the larger pics linked to kindly by an earlier poster. E6039 is not electric blue but Rail Blue. This notion that the JBs carried elec blue is one that was started in recent times by I believe CJM. But my main issue is with the numerals on this model- they look to be in rail style but are too small. They should be the same size as carried in TOPS days. Finally the two green JAs- love these locos in green- but again the numerals are of the wrong style. The model appears to have the corporate style rail- but should have elongated 'diesel' type- think they are serif style but again can't remember the exact name. Finally E6003 should have a fine white stripe/line between the grey and the green. The JBs that appeared in rail blue and small yellow panels also had this white line in those that carried the rail grey stripe- something that really improved the blue on the slab sides- a shame it wasn't perpetuated in the later examples.

But they are pre-production samples so there is still hope yet. All being they will look good in the flesh, so to speak. I shall wait to see what they look like when released and then how they stack up against the real things. Only then can an informed decision/ critical analysis be made.

• Like 1

But what about the other livery errors other than the typeface?

I'd rather speak out now in the hope that Dapol are reading this and correct all the livery issues that I mentioned on the exec liveried one. Staying silent isn't an option.

Let's hope they are listening!

Cheers,

Guy

• RMweb Premium

I find it hugely disappointing that Dapol have advertised these in magazines with release dates in July and August if they have not yet even signed off the final samples for production. I accept that containers get delayed, there are foul ups in factory delivery and such like but if they haven't signed off the things for production then that cannot be written off as uncontrolled delays to their expected schedule. I'm not sure how long before publication magazines are placed but it seems pretty poor to have placed these adverts so prematurely. And yes, of course I'd much rather the models are made right but regardless of that the impression I take from this is that Dapol just don't know what they're doing. I see nothing sinister and ultimately it is just a hobby but I am disappointed.

The photos posted by WDP4D are much better than available previously and give me good cheer on the body shape and underframe details, which suggests they may be worth the money to replace the Limby versions, as long as the oddities already described above are corrected, at least to a reasonable extent. I don't mind re-numbering and the odd minor change, to improve authenticity, but I do mind paying top dollar and then having to change some fundamentals (like removing a headlight). Let's hope they sort these things out, before release, for which i do not mind waiting.

I can understand that people get impatient where they believe they only have a few more months to live. But otherwise......

• Like 1

Announced March 2012, delivery early 2016 (maybe)...???

Someone's being made a mug of here. In less time, you can conceive a child and raise him/her to nursery school age.

Just picked up a mint blue Lima 73 from the local model shop. £29.99 well spent, and I now categorically have zero interest in the Dapol one, although I will remain amused and curious as to the final due date...

Good luck, folks.

About as predictable as a forecast as to which gauge you will be modelling next!..... :stinker:

Green ones look good! I think we'll be lucky to see them this year if their waiting for a second set of deco samples to sign off? Still I'm happy to wait. I remember talking to the Dapol rep at Ally Pally who scoffed at me when I said end of 2013-in reply to his comment about them being available in 2012!

It does look good, although it also shows the slight dimpling of the cab roofs. If they are going to issue it as E6003 it should have oval buffers. 

As others have pointed out, these are pre-production models so hopefully these things will be corrected for the final production. While they are not insurmountable for an average modeller to fix, we shouldn't have to do these things for the price point they are selling at.

The bodies don't really look to be much of an improvement over the Lima/Hornby 73s (although I'm sure the separate grills and things are a bit better), but the bogie and underframe detail looks vastly superior compared to the older model.

I am waiting to see what the final models are like before I buy one. In the meantime, I have several Lima and Hornby ones, all with the newer Hornby chassis running on my layout. From viewing distance, they do the job perfectly well.

• RMweb Premium

I agree to a large extent with the post above.

The Dapol 73 is a very marginal option for me.  It doesn't fit with anything I run nor can I really afford locomotive prices for static / diorama display at present.  They did get about a lot as a class and indeed not only still do but once they take over the Deerstalker we shall have the unprecedented sight of a "Southern electro-diesel" at Fort William in passenger service!

I'd want the beast to be pretty close to spot on as it's so close to being a line-call in my case.  No headlight on the blue one, visually acceptable (as opposed to rivet-counter perfect) tampo details, flat surface to the Pullman rubbing plate ..... 

It's very much in the "wait and see" basket which is precisely where other products remain not least of which is the Red Box Brighton Belle which is also an interested-in release but not quite enough to buy one and plonk it on the shelf.