New OO gauge Class 73

Is Dapol doing an Electric blue livery one (73 201)? Any limited edition or special commission? 

You will find the complete range on the Hatton's website Jeffrey. I think it includes an electric blue, shown as "early blue".

Excuse the silly question, but I've been utterly confused as to what liveries they are being released in. Does anyone know what liveries exactly are going to be produced?

Well Dapol today have confirmed 4D-006-007 replacement...73206 Lisa! 

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information/news&news_id=91#.U81eARZeL4I

Shall go well with the Limited Edition from Olivia Trains 73205 Jeanette. Olivia's Trains are also producing a Gatwick Express and First Group GBRf: http://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/model-trains/Dapol-locomotives/Dapol-class-73-oo-gauge-locomotives/

There is also the Pullman limited editions with Gaugemaster: http://www.gaugemaster.com/search_results.asp?searchstring=dagm1%20brand~~579~~brand&style=&andor=&method=&strType=&OB=p_a&currentpage=1

Hi all,

I was about to order the large logo blue version but a quick search for a suitable decoder first only showed up a few PluX22 examples. Is there any other choice in the UK apart from Uhlenbrock or Zimo and is there a sound chip with 73 sounds and a PluX22 interface (paging Legomanbiffo ?)

Edit : found a Lokpilot at Digitrains which seems to be the cheapest at £27.

Thanks

Paul

Edited by pauln

Hi all,

I was about to order the large logo blue version but a quick search for a suitable decoder first only showed up a few PluX22 examples. Is there any other choice in the UK apart from Uhlenbrock or Zimo and is there a sound chip with 73 sounds and a PluX22 interface (paging Legomanbiffo ?)

Thanks

Paul

I only know of the Howes chip with pre-recorded 73 sounds (which are superb IMHO) but this is for a Lima/Hornby. For now, I would suggest using a conversion plate ( I have not yet seen a 8 to 22 pin plate, but there are several 8 to 21 pin versions), but I am sure someone, if not Howes (although they don;t seem to be agents for Dapol at the moment) will bring one out in the next 12 months.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Thanks

Paul

ESU do a PluX12 Loksound, so no doubt that Charlie/Bif will have suitable decoders when the time comes. I believe that it will fit the plux22 socket on the loco.

Cheers,

Mick

The Howes and Bif sound projects are currently only for ESU LokSound (they both offer class 73 projects - I have one of each). However, as long as ESU do a 22-pin LokSound they will be able to be put on to those. I'm not actually sure which PLuX configurations ESU offer at the moment, though - will have a look at their website later.

Edit: I re-read Mick's post above and it looks like he may have answered my query re what is available from ESU.

Edited by SRman

The Howes and Bif sound projects are currently only for ESU LokSound (they both offer class 73 projects - I have one of each). However, as long as ESU do a 22-pin LokSound they will be able to be put on to those. I'm not actually sure which PLuX configurations ESU offer at the moment, though - will have a look at their website later.

Where did this Plux thing come from?

I am confused with what Dapol are using in their models as the standard connection.

The 2014/15 catalogue clearly stated 21-pin MTC (like most Bachmann) for the Class 73.

Like you say plux is hard to find.

Dapol were switching to the PluX standard from these models onwards, I believe, although I can't say for sure where I read that. It may even have been earlier in this thread or in one of the magazines. If they do stick to the 21-pin arrangement that makes it easy!

Edit: I found the reference in post 47 from DJM Dave (posted when he was still Dapol Dave). http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54082-new-oo-gauge-class-73/?p=861806 

Edited by SRman

Where did this Plux thing come from?

I am confused with what Dapol are using in their models as the standard connection.

The 2014/15 catalogue clearly stated 21-pin MTC (like most Bachmann) for the Class 73.

Like you say plux is hard to find.

The problem is that the 21pin is non-standard. It was devised by Maerklin for C-Sinus motor and doen't follow either NMRA or MOROP standards.

The PluX range is a standard (MOROP/NEM 658) and will make things easier, eventually! The same socket can be used by PluX 8/12/16/22 decoders. If a manufacturer produces a model that doesn't have sufficient functions to need a large socket they can use a smaller one. The PluX range has a fitting similar to 21pin MTC so there should be a better electrical connection. There shouldn't be problems with the pins of a socket shorting out on the loco frame, as happened with some older Heljan locos.

Eventually we'll be in a better place but it will take time for all the manufactures to catch up.

Luke

PS this is the link to the NEM standard http://www.miba.de/morop/nem658_d.pdf

The problem is that the 21pin is non-standard. It was devised by Maerklin for C-Sinus motor and doen't follow either NMRA or MOROP standards.

The PluX range is a standard (MOROP/NEM 658) and will make things easier, eventually! The same socket can be used by PluX 8/12/16/22 decoders. If a manufacturer produces a model that doesn't have sufficient functions to need a large socket they can use a smaller one. The PluX range has a fitting similar to 21pin MTC so there should be a better electrical connection. There shouldn't be problems with the pins of a socket shorting out on the loco frame, as happened with some older Heljan locos.

Eventually we'll be in a better place but it will take time for all the manufactures to catch up.

Luke

PS this is the link to the NEM standard http://www.miba.de/morop/nem658_d.pdf

A better description of what the PluX pin allocation is and why it was used...

Luke

http://www.opendcc.de/info/decoder/schnittstellen_e.html

A better description of what the PluX pin allocation is and why it was used...

Yes, thanks. I am already familar with all that but it doesn't help in this topic.

So, is the Dapol 73  21-pin MTC, or Plux? Time to ring Dapol me thinks...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ever the optimist I wonder whether we will see the much anticipated 73's arriving before Christmas?

A box shifter had suggested my two pre-orders would be in stock between September and October '14.

• 4 weeks later...

Delayed until early 2015 according to Olivia's trains.

The Dapol website seems updated on "product information" to confirm this, the status reads "In Decoration Stage" and is due between December 2014 and January 2015. So an early 2015 it would seem, but I cannot wait, looks like it shall be a cracking model. I have both the GBRf ones ordered.

Has anyone communicated with Dapol recently with more information?

I want one a GBRf one but Hattons are not listing that one.

Does anyone know if Dapol plan to produce either of the 73/9's as I'd want them too!

Incidentally I've recently got a Hornby 73 which weighs about a 10th of the Lima one I had 30-odd years ago! I don't need it to haul very much but just wondering if anyone has directly compared the two for pulling power? I guess the Dapol model will be all-axle drive anyhow.

Does anyone know if Dapol plan to produce either of the 73/9's as I'd want them too!

GBRf are exclusive to Olivia's Trains: http://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/model-trains/Dapol-locomotives/Dapol-class-73-oo-gauge-locomotives/

Haven't heard about them producing the 73/9s; would involve a tooling change, so one for the future I would think.

• RMweb Premium

Haven't heard about them producing the 73/9s; would involve a tooling change, so one for the future I would think.

And to further complicate matters, there are significant differences between the NR and GBRf 73/9's

Cheers,

Mick

My mouth's been watering over the release of this new ED for soooo long, I'm stood in a puddle. Come on, Dapol...

Edited by Pete 75C

Incidentally I've recently got a Hornby 73 which weighs about a 10th of the Lima one I had 30-odd years ago! I don't need it to haul very much but just wondering if anyone has directly compared the two for pulling power? I guess the Dapol model will be all-axle drive anyhow.

GBRf are exclusive to Olivia's Trains: http://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/model-trains/Dapol-locomotives/Dapol-class-73-oo-gauge-locomotives/

Yes, Olivia are doing a limited edition 73205. But there is also the main cat. edition from Dapol under code 4D-006-007 which shall be 73206. Great news as the GBRf models run double headed.

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information/news&news_id=91#.VGOEJda9WpY

I understand the order forms have not gone out yet, but Rails say they shall order them at the same price as 001-006. They are listed as pre-order with Kernow tho more expensive.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/43593/4D006007_Dapol_Class_73_ElectroDiesel_Locomotive_73_206