Installing DCC Sound

pinza55007

I have a SWD Deltic sound decoder to fit in one of the original style Bachmann Deltics (55012).

how easy is it to do, and where is best place to locate speaker.

I have never done any machining/milling of the chassis etc, so what sort of tool would I need to do this?

I'm hoping to do several different Diesel locos eventually, so was just wondering if there are any websites with step by step instructions, (wasn't there one called electric nose or similar), with indications of easy or hard installation etc?

Im sure a few other novices like myself would need any help we can get installing sound, as this hobby gets more complicated and expensive, we don't want to make silly errors.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

I have a SWD Deltic sound decoder to fit in one of the original style Bachmann Deltics (55012).

how easy is it to do, and where is best place to locate speaker.

I have never done any machining/milling of the chassis etc, so what sort of tool would I need to do this?

I'm hoping to do several different Diesel locos eventually, so was just wondering if there are any websites with step by step instructions, (wasn't there one called electric nose or similar), with indications of easy or hard installation etc?

Im sure a few other novices like myself would need any help we can get installing sound, as this hobby gets more complicated and expensive, we don't want to make silly errors.

Colin

Hi,

i have changed the speakers in the current factory sound deltic. I placed a bass enhanced under the grills and a bass relex in the tanks in the bottom.

As for your model i have yet to install one in there, i would suspect you would be able to place a bass enhanced speaker under the grill without to much modification.

As for adding more speakers it all depends on how much work you would like to do.

As for milling/machining you will need a milling machine or a lathe and i would suggest a person who knows how to use it as you can't put metal back on if you take to much off.

cheers

Simon

Guest 838rapid

If you remove the chassis plastic bit and take the weight out you can get a bass reflex inside there.

It also involves thinning the sides out and removing some plastic in the middle section.

It really does improve the sounds and is what SWD recomend.

I read your OP a couple of times. I suspect that you are attempting to install sound to an old Bachmann (Mainline?) Deltic model. This will almost certainly be a split chassis. This brings other problems to bear.

I have never done one of these but, in general, any form of live chassis requires considerable care to ensure that the motor terminals are completely isolated from the chassis and pick ups and that any current flowing through the motor has come from the decoder ONLY.

Otherwise, the Deltic clag will be the only smoke that you see as the decoder dies an unnatural death.

I have had to modify a split chassis and hacksaw and file do work albeit slowly. You are basically making space for the speaker and enclosure of your choice. If there is room in the fuel tanks underneath that is a good place for a speaker. Insulate everything as even a speaker wire touching a live chassis will give problems.

If the chassis is a modern solid block with central motor and drive shafts to both bogies, then you will need to use a vertical mill to make a speaker enclosure.

Installing decoders in either type is actually quite easy. It is the speaker install that will require ingenuity and surgery.

I read your OP a couple of times. I suspect that you are attempting to install sound to an old Bachmann (Mainline?) Deltic model. This will almost certainly be a split chassis. This brings other problems to bear.

Mainline never made a Deltic. The Bachmann version has only ever been produced by them.

As far as I am aware, Bachmann have never used split chassis construction on diesels.

Archived