Β 

298 is a Reefer addict....!

Whilst having a clear out in the "Railway Room" today, I found a box that had been stashed away for a few years. Slightly unsure of what was inside, I decided to have a look, which led to gathering of 57' Reefers....:

Β 

post-6819-0-21959400-1331756939_thumb.jpg

Β 

1x Con-Cor 57' R-70-16 in PFE Orange w/Black Square

14x Athearn 57' in various PFE Orange

1x Athearn 57' in UP Yellow w/Small Shied

2x Athearn 57' in SP White

1x Athearn 57' in UPFE Green

and 23x Athearn 57' in UPFE Armor Yellow.

Β 

That's 42 Reefers there (all weathered and with Kadee wheelsets and #5's) , plus another couple of Con-Cor conversions part way through having their roofwalks removed, and a few unbuilt Athearn kits. That's probably enough to operate Wiley for a month without having the same car appear twice, and seems a bit excessive for a 6 foot layout.

Β 

The layout uses 7 Intermountain & Red Caboose 57' cars, plus I reckon to have another dozen earlier Mechanical or Ice Reefers. I think I'd better check, in case they've been breeding.....

Not quite some many as Andy and coming right up to the (near) present day

Β 

Apart from the the below UPFE IM 57 footer, awaiting a spot of weathering and a shed load of graffitti are 2 x IM ARMN 57' refurbs, 2 IM BNSF 57' non-refurbs, 3 UP Trinicools.

Β 

Project still at planning stage is a BNSF Trinity reefer as a kitbash from a Walther cryogenic reefer / BLMA Trinicool

Β 

Dan

post-9070-0-40641900-1331809071_thumb.jpg

Athearn really made the most of that tooling didn't they! ;) You'll have to bring them over and give em a run on RS Tower at some point, they'd look great behind a brace of tunnel motors or UP SD40-2s :) Not sure whether 42 would fit, but I bet we'd get close.

Β 

Me, nowhere near that many, i've a 'hospital' condition Cryogenic one I picked up for £3 secondhand and might end up back in service one day, I think i've 4 or 5 Athearn orange 57' PFE's in my 70s fleet, and I think that's it - although i've quite a few RBLs.

Athearn really made the most of that tooling didn't they! ;) You'll have to bring them over and give em a run on RS Tower at some point, they'd look great behind a brace of tunnel motors or UP SD40-2s :) Not sure whether 42 would fit, but I bet we'd get close.

Β 

Athearn only got their money's worth because it took a long time for something better to come along. The paint finish did improve later on but the steps and ladders really need replacing to meet the expectation of modern standards.

Β 

Exactly how many do you think RS2 could handle...? I'm afraid I can't supply the necessary brace of SD40-2's, but would like to see a long rake of them on the layout. But for the moment, and since I need to slim them down to fit back into the now labelled box, I think I'll be keeping 30-odd and putting the rest on the sales stand at the Nottingham show this weekend.

I had a modern manifest running at Barrow which was 41+caboose, but it was pulled by a short pair of SW1500s and was a mix of car lengths, so my guess for the reefers would be circa 36 to 38 with 3 conventional SDs - all the 'roundy' staging tracks are different lengths due to the design so it's hard to be definative!

Β 

We've a few guys in our group who could field some suitable power so I think we could handle that side of it.

I have just this one Reefer pictured here, in O Scale; a Weaver model, a lot better detailed than their ordinary boxcars are, too!! I did have three, but since the demise of this layout this is pictured on, I sold the other two....

Β 

SDC10449.jpg

As a postscript to the topic, 10 were put on the club sales stand at the Nottingham Show and all were quickly snapped up by a certain Mr C. Gilbert, so look out for a new layout from him in about a week's time or so. That still leaves me with 30-odd, and an invite to run them on RS2... B)

Β 

The O scale Weaver 57' Reefers are very nice, I have a PFE one and am on the lookout for a few more for an ongoing project...

Archived