Β 

Poor availability of US steam models

Iain Rice's rebuild of the Bachmann 2-8-0 in MR has always been my own articular favourite, especially as it is featured in one of Kalmbach's excellent books (which one?).

Β 

If I was not so heavily committed to building BR(S), this would one loco* have been my motivation for changing to a shortline.

Β 

Tim

Β 

*Unless I could buy a Sunset N&W 'Mollie', then I would have created a slice of the Appalachian's in Dorset.

Β 

Tim

Β 

Tim,

Β 

While I love Winston Link's Virginia Creeper - and have tromped around in those hills myself - the "Mollies" 4-8-0 wheel arrangement is a little too much of an odd duck (such a wheel arrangement was exceedingly rare) to have a hope of a commercially model in anything other than brass. The good news is since they were odd ducks the couple of brass imports done of N&W 4-8-0s tend to stay below the stratsophere in price.

Β 

As far as Iain's conversion - I was running it around the layout last night - but calling it a "shortline" engine ouch!!! :nono: - the CV was a small Class One at the time - and the N-5-a class 2-8-0s numbered 16 locomotives . . .

Β 

Let me know if want any additional details on the model or the conversion - I've done two others since Iain built 472.

I did a conversion on the Bachmann 2-8-0 a while back and turned it into ICRR 906 - the original loco the basic model was proportioned against.

Β 

I ran my Bachmann 2-6-0 for the first time last night. Runs and looks very nice and only needs a bit of tweeking with the tinny sound. I might see if a high-bass speaker will fit in the tender.

Β 

Jon

Archived