Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi everybody. Just been reading up on here and I must say Jeff the house is looking good how much land have you got there the ones round where i live they have small gardens

mark

Hi Mark.

The garden goes back about 50 feet and the plot is 50 feet wide. So for garden lovers like me, that's a good thing.

Keep watching the Lounge - there'll be plenty of garden work going on over the next 3 months!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now then lads.....tunnels?

When I can do some proper measurements I'll have to decide on how my existing plan will need to be modified. Tunnneling through that support is definitely a possibility. If you can't beat 'em, tunnel 'em!!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Now might be the time to ask Jeff, theres bound to be a builder lurking with a 6" core drill that could accidentley fall against that coloumn. It does seem a somewhat massive construction, infact I'd say overkill, to give that front some support.

A Couple of 6" holes side by side should give you plent of space for fiddleyard tracks to get through it (unless you swing the design around so that this 'tunnel' becomes one end of the scenic section, the scenic bit being built on the bend........)

Andy G

Jeff - what is reason the bunker is 35ft back from the house ~  I'm curious why it is detatched in the first place?  Is that a typical thing for Stockton/The UK? 

I guess what I'm saying is the here in Oz, we'd have the garage/bunker forward and aligned with the main building, not only saving 35ft of driveway, but in doing so adding 35ft of back yard on that side of the block, and also making the access to the bunker directly from the house.

(sorry if the logic is explained elsewhere, but at 492 pages, it's getting hard to search here!)

Regards

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Scott,

Theres probably no real reason that it is set back, although most of these modern developments tend to squeeze as many buildings onto the smallest possible site. Jeff is quite lucky to get such a big plot (although I'm sure he's paying quite hansomely for the privialege) as most just about get enough to put a 'whirlie-gig' washing line out! (Those lines are about 8' in diameter).

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Morning lads.

A lot of new houses in the UK have integral garages - some with built-in double garages. This can be convenient for access, but a separate double garage has the advantage of widening the plot and, as it's provided with a power supply, is no real hardship.

I'll agree that attaching it to the side of the house near the front of the drive would be advantageous, but such a design doesn't exist within my chosen budget/house spec.

I'll hopefully be able to have a good look at the interior of the bunker next Saturday.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Take your plan with you Jeff, then if you get a chance show the site foreman what you want to do and he might be able to get the drill out for you!

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

... not only saving 35ft of driveway...

Nowadays we tend to use garages, double or single, for useful things such as storage of boxes after a move (like mine at the moment) or more permanent things like little bits of the S&C. So we need those long driveways to store such mundane things as cars ;)

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nowadays we tend to use garages, double or single, for useful things such as storage of boxes after a move (like mine at the moment) or more permanent things like little bits of the S&C. So we need those long driveways to store such mundane things as cars ;)

Neil

Very true.

The driveway on the new house will also be home to a large greenhouse and raised bed. The garage? Never to be used to house cars!

Jeff

• Like 2

Have to agree there fellas.  We have lived in our present house for 39 years and in that time have owned about 14 cars, none of which has slept in the garage.  Staying outside didn't appear to be too detrimental.  On very few occasions did we have starting problems and only one (a Triumph Dolomite) could be classed as a rust bucket.  Our present car, a 7 year old Honda Jazz, seems quite happy.  Meanwhile our railways had permanent homes.

Derek

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Have to agree there fellas.  We have lived in our present house for 39 years and in that time have owned about 14 cars, none of which has slept in the garage.  Staying outside didn't appear to be too detrimental.  On very few occasions did we have starting problems and only one (a Triumph Dolomite) could be classed as a rust bucket.  Our present car, a 7 year old Honda Jazz, seems quite happy.  Meanwhile our railways had permanent homes.

Derek

There speaks a voice with common-sense!

I must admit that, like many of my friends and neighbours, my garage was a junk store before I converted it for KL. And it never housed a car.

I'm very grateful for the space that the garage has afforded. Much better than when I used a spare bedroom.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I have never had a garage so have never used one for anything.  My son's Father-in-Law uses his as a workshop and has two cars and a mobile home outside.

Dangerous things garages, if you don't believe me trawl through Morse.  Also in Oxford in the sixties, one man started his car in the garage before opening the door not realising he had a small petrol leak.  The petrol had vaporised and in the confined space had combined with the air to form the perfect explosive mixture.  I leave the rest to your imagination.

Model Railways are much safer.

Morning lads.

A lot of new houses in the UK have integral garages - some with built-in double garages. This can be convenient for access, but a separate double garage has the advantage of widening the plot and, as it's provided with a power supply, is no real hardship.

I'll agree that attaching it to the side of the house near the front of the drive would be advantageous, but such a design doesn't exist within my chosen budget/house spec.

I'll hopefully be able to have a good look at the interior of the bunker next Saturday.

Jeff

Hi Jeff you need to set the bunker back for a longer drive so you can invite all Rmweb members lol

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Morning Mark.

Now don't suggest that or they'll all be round, expecting a "Bodge bacon buttie/Belgian bun" or a "Jeff lasagne"....

I have no doubts that Jason or Andy - and maybe one or two others - will find there way to sunny County Durham over the next few years. 

Maybe I ought to move (again) and keep the bunker location secret!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if I've missed or not here, but is there a pictorial plan of KL2, Jeff?

Hi Lee.

Have a look at post # 12097 on page 484.

Is that what you were after? Hope it helps.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Wow! I think I do remember seeing it now. That is going to be one hell of a layout!

So where does the pillar intervene, is it bottom centre?

I could build the layout with the 2 garage doors either at the top or the bottom of the diagram. So the pillar will be either bottom centre or top centre.

I need to get into the garage and measure up, to judge what I'm going to do. There'll be some kind of solution one way or another. If the worst comes to the worst, I can shrink the plan by about 5% to fit the detail in.

Jeff

You could rotate the plan somewhat and then maybe lose or drastically shorten the goods sidings...

post-15693-0-09051900-1402992640.jpg

or, if there are any structural engineers or builders around here to verify that it's safe, perhaps chop a couple of blocks out of the buttress to allow for the track to flow through - the top of the blockwork you remove could even support the baseboard at that point...

post-15693-0-28517500-1402992641.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If the worst comes to the worst and you end up losing a couple of foot off the length, the one advantage of that pillar will be that it will afford you the perfect access point to operate and shunt the yard. It does look like a massive pillar though; what the hell is it going to be holding up?