Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, you're getting a garage built, right?

What you need is a pit/s under the layout or maybe a car creeper.

:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Pollygrip

Hi Polly.

There will be a double garage at the new house, but I don't get any say in how it's built. So "non-standard" spec like a pit is definitely a no-no.

Anyway, adapting something is fun!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Someone has to say it............

Mike, pointing flagstones is an even weirder hobby than railway modelling ;)

Depends on the type of paving. Concrete "slabs" - no. Decorative paving - yes.... or at least fill the joins with fine grit.

Nothing worse than weeds growing in between paving slabs in your new patio!

Here's one I did earlier...

post-13778-0-77658900-1398937389_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

HEY THERE !!! I recognise that place, its Swadlindentcoat in Derbyorkshire, isn't it?

Yes, Mike - I think Scott chucked a bit of good old Dent in when he created that pic.

the question is - what's it doing in a Google search for Swadlincote?!!

Jeff

Depends on the type of paving. Concrete "slabs" - no. Decorative paving - yes.... or at least fill the joins with fine grit.

Nothing worse than weeds growing in between paving slabs in your new patio!

Here's one I did earlier...

attachicon.gif100_1375A.jpg

Jeff

NICE, Can I have one like that please?

• Like 3

Yes, Mike - I think Scott chucked a bit of good old Dent in when he created that pic.

Jeff

That's just what I wondered Jeff, there were no others, just yours from memory, (mind you it was ten to three in the morning) but  may have missed some others. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

NICE, Can I have one like that please?

In a recent PM Jason (politely! erm....) told me to forget about the new garden and just get on with the Bunker.

Unfortunately - and I'm sure Mike (Stationmaster) understands - building things like patios, raised beds (structures in general) is as satisfying as railway modelling.

So the first couple of months of the summer will be stuff like that photo - pics will no doubt appear in the Lounge!

Jeff

• Like 2

In a recent PM Jason (politely! erm....) told me to forget about the new garden and just get on with the Bunker.

Unfortunately - and I'm sure Mike (Stationmaster) understands - building things like patios, raised beds (structures in general) is as satisfying as railway modelling.

So the first couple of months of the summer will be stuff like that photo - pics will no doubt appear in the Lounge!

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, I ticked FUNNY as I don't think the tablets your on are working properly.

What sane man would want to go outside, dig holes in Gods made earth, pour in a mix of powder and water, and then spend weeks with your back bent double, building walls to keep earth in? :nono: :nono: :nono:

Strange people from up North :O

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Jeff, I ticked FUNNY as I don't think the tablets your on aren't working properly.

What sane man would want to go outside, dig holes in Gods made earth, pour in a mix of powder and water, and then spend weeks with your back bent double, building walls to keep earth in? :nono: :nono: :nono:

EDIT =  TO CHANGE are to aren't, now it makes more sense

I never said I was SANE! 

Anyway, nothing like hand-mixing (no machines for me) half a ton of concrete to get you fit and loosen up all those tensed and twisted muscles. Besides, it gives me the chance to wear my yellow gloves when I'm bricklaying. Remember these?

post-13778-0-00443900-1398942712_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-43279400-1398942716_thumb.jpg

Proud to be a Northerner!

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Jeffs back hooray!! The banter with AndyP has a broad grin on my face already! (Not necessarily a pretty sight?).

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Cheers Jock. We always try our best to scare everyone away with all the rubbish we spout.

Glad you find it entertaining!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly.

There will be a double garage at the new house, but I don't get any say in how it's built. So "non-standard" spec like a pit is definitely a no-no.

Anyway, adapting something is fun!

Jeff

No problem, there, Jeff with all those walling skills - a raised layout on a raised deck should leave a reasonable working base level from which to do all that wiring.  :D

Of course, you may need to raise the roof a bit to get the required height.  :pardon:

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

No problem, there, Jeff with all those walling skills - a raised layout on a raised deck should leave a reasonable working base level from which to do all that wiring.  :D

Of course, you may need to raise the roof a bit to get the required height.  :pardon:

Polly

You may be right! With a baseboard set at 60", the top of the Fell will be around 84" - not far from the ceiling.

Should be interesting!

Jeff

• Like 3

Jeff

Are sure that's mine?  With no Comical Ali, or Mankini Fireman, I didn't recognise it as coming from my stable...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott - really good to hear from you on here again!

Yes, it IS your creation. Took a bit of finding - page 161, post 4002.

No Comical Ali or Mankini Man as it pre-dates them (they appeared around pages 170 and 206 respectively).

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hey Scott's back, that's great news, good to see you around mate, (but not as round as me), I had to say that before Jeff did.

Jeff instead of wood can you not build the layout frame of bricks and mortar, :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  it would be strong enough to hold all your timber tops. hahhaheeeeeee :no:

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Jeff, I ticked FUNNY as I don't think the tablets your on aren't working properly.

EDIT =  TO CHANGE are to aren't, now it makes more sense

But it is rather satisfying to go from something like this

post-6859-0-82076800-1398956528_thumb.jpg

To this (unfinished at this stage of course)

post-6859-0-54008500-1398956586_thumb.jpg

But I did get contractors in to do the lawn and they did the path through it from my circle plus they did the brick edgings except for the curved wall just right of front centre which I did

post-6859-0-67714400-1398956886_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-00199100-1398956660_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

But it is rather satisfying to go from something like this

attachicon.gifDSCF3579.jpg

To this (unfinished at this stage of course)

attachicon.gifDSCF3659crrd.jpg

But I did get contractors in to do the lawn and they did the path through it from my circle plus they did the brick edgings except for the curved wall just right of front centre which I did

attachicon.gifDSCF6543.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF6590.jpg

Very nice Mike, I do love a curly path I feel it make the garden look longer, really nice mate.

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Mike, I do love a curly path I feel it make the garden look longer, really nice mate.

Thanks Andy - part of the reason the path came out like that was that I had part of a pack of curved slabs in my 'spares box' so I fiddled around with them and arrived at that.  Rather like layout planning actually as you're trying to get the best fit of what you've got into the available space ;)

PS Double garage at extreme righht of bottom pic - central door on this side which leads to a fully insulated room divided from the other half of the garage; guess what that is for? 

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 3

Thanks Andy - part of the reason the path came out like that was that I had part of a pack of curved slabs in my 'spares box' so I fiddled around with them and arrived at that.  Rather like layout planning actually as you're trying to get the best fit of what you've got into the available space ;)

PS Double garage at extreme righht of bottom pic - central door on this side which leads to a fully insulated room divided from the other half of the garage; guess what that is for? 

So is the path Hornby or Peco Set Track?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Honestly, you can't leave you two (Bodge and Mike) for a moment!

Since you're discussing garden "layouts", I'll pop an outline copy of the plan for my new rear garden in the Lounge. Actually, I'll dig it out and post it here - give me a few mins to find it!

Those that aren't interested can continue with whatever topic they wish.

Btw, nice work Mike. The curved path works well and, as you know, I'm a fan of all things involving brick and concrete!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Found it. It's very rough and ready, but gives the general idea.

Btw, Andy - it's mostly SMP but the pergolas are C&L......!!!!!

post-13778-0-11458200-1398963741_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi John.

I'll certainly be buying an Acer palmatum and a red-berried Rowan.

Undecided on the third. I'd love another Amelanchier, but will probably end up with a flowering cherry.

All manufactured by Peco, of course - to maintain the railway flavour!!!!! (Is it April 1st?)

Jeff

• Like 3

Hi John.

I'll certainly be buying an Acer palmatum and a red-berried Rowan.

Undecided on the third. I'd love another Amelanchier, but will probably end up with a flowering cherry.

All manufactured by Peco, of course - to maintain the railway flavour!!!!! (Is it April 1st?)

Jeff

Jeff I think we had a red-berried Rowan out the front but whenever it dropped its Berries they got trod indoors.

So I chopped it down :O

• Like 1