Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I usually only lurk on here but those S&C photos and particularly Dent have really made me come over all....sort of Jenkinson.....and wanting to model it!  However it would look odd with Fairbanks-Morse diesels on it.....ahem.

Photos like those are such a great modelling resource, thanks to those who took them, and also made them available for us to ogle in interweb world.

NHN

Hi Neil,

As someone who clearly appreciates the S&C it's good to see you on here. Post as little or as frequently as you like!

The KL thread is fairly atypical at the moment due to the forthcoming house move. If you keep looking on here over the next year you should see more resources, discussion and the re-birth of the KL layout!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I looked at super elevation on the main river bridge on Green Ayre, but as I'd included continous check rails, as per the prototype decided against it.  It was a sharp curve with a low speed limit but I've since found out that it was actually super elevated but it will now have to stay as it was built.

Jamie

I intend to use the existing 6 arch viaduct on KL2. It's about 6' radius and I left the ballasted track in place when I ripped KL apart in November. I'm not going to re-do the viaduct track, so super elevation will play no part in the revamp.

It may be prototypical in places but I find the sight of a slightly tilting train at a platform slightly disconcerting!

Jeff

I intend to use the existing 6 arch viaduct on KL2. It's about 6' radius and I left the ballasted track in place when I ripped KL apart in November. I'm not going to re-do the viaduct track, so super elevation will play no part in the revamp.

It may be prototypical in places but I find the sight of a slightly tilting train at a platform slightly disconcerting!

Jeff

I have to agree. It also makes for interesting clearances when the amount of room available is a bit tight.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

In terms of tracklaying and the way the locos performed on KL, I'm going to do things virtually the same.

Less track in the S&C scenic section owing to removal of the branch loop. A few less dropper connections (KL2 will probably have about 70% of the number on KL). Same bus system, type of wiring etc.

No super elevation.

If something works and is judged to look ok (by others, not me) then I'll leave things be.

There WILL be changes in other areas - this was discussed a few pages back (starting p. 442, post # 11045).....

Jeff

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just logged in to the Forum. Very, very quiet, even for a Saturday.

No bunker to do any practical work, but that doesn't stop a lot of thinking being done. It'll be more than a year away but I've been considering ways to build the Fell structure - using insulation board (like Kingspan) and how I should fit the backscene in behind it.

Good fun, a lot less weight, more flexibility and saves a bit of money....

Jeff 

• Like 1

Hi all.

Drat, hit the wrong button!

To continue, yes I decided to model 'Dent' with its superelevation in place or at least a representation of it. Well it wouldn't be Dent without it! As luck - choice - decision or whatever would have it the reverse curve I introduced in order to operate the fiddleyard system below has assisted in allowing the superelevation to be 'flattened' somewhat at the critical 'single slip' sections so I don't foresee any adverse effects just adverse cambers - I hope. Of course nothing has been tested as yet so it could all end in misery.

Going to Shildon tomorrow so no progress on the track till next week now. (I'm hoping my electrical genius friend is available then as these slip's are driving me insane.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi all.

Drat, hit the wrong button!

To continue, yes I decided to model 'Dent' with its superelevation in place or at least a representation of it. Well it wouldn't be Dent without it! As luck - choice - decision or whatever would have it the reverse curve I introduced in order to operate the fiddleyard system below has assisted in allowing the superelevation to be 'flattened' somewhat at the critical 'single slip' sections so I don't foresee any adverse effects just adverse cambers - I hope. Of course nothing has been tested as yet so it could all end in misery.

Going to Shildon tomorrow so no progress on the track till next week now. (I'm hoping my electrical genius friend is available then as these slip's are driving me insane.)

Yes, you're quite right - as even a casual glance at photos of Dent will show. Fortunately I don't have to worry about such matter with my Kirkby Stephen lookalike.

As for slips - I've a single and a double. Took a little while to work out the wiring last time. I kept a record - somewhere - of how I wired them, though I can't recall where I put it! Oh well, I'll just have to sort it out from scratch again....

Enjoy yourself at Shildon!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Yes, you're quite right - as even a casual glance at photos of Dent will show. Fortunately I don't have to worry about such matter with my Kirkby Stephen lookalike.

As for slips - I've a single and a double. Took a little while to work out the wiring last time. I kept a record - somewhere - of how I wired them, though I can't recall where I put it! Oh well, I'll just have to sort it out from scratch again....

Enjoy yourself at Shildon!

Jeff

Jeff,

Did you put it on the thread?

Edit: I cross posted but have now picked up the diagram from Mike's Dent thread.

Thank you again.

Edited by ChrisN

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Did you put it on the thread?

Edit: I cross posted but have now picked up the diagram from Mike's Dent thread.

Thank you again.

I stumbled across it - by chance - as I was looking on Dent. I'll post it here as well.

If you visualise the slip as 2 turnouts and wire the switching of the vee as shown it works a treat. At least it did in November 2012 when I did this last!!

D_Slip.pdf

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

As I have said on my thread I have not wired up layouts that have had live frogs before so it will be an experience.  I think this will be the last piece of wiring.

Apologies if you know what to do, but you may find this useful - post # 2149 from page 86 of KL...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53448-kirkby-luneside-kl2-ponderings/page-86

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

Duly copied and saved.  I am sure I could work it out even though it is not gamma rays I am sure wiring has not changed since I did my 'A' levels but having someone who has done it and know that it works is so much better.  Thank you.

I assume that it will make no difference if it is DC? I am saying this without actually having studied it yet.

Hi all, it is quiet on here, I have been in the Layouts section and catching up on some bits in there but there isn't much going on in there either.

I will pop back later.

Andy :stinker:

Blimey!! I could feel insulted by that :O  :no: but of course I'm not because I'll go away and try and dream up something more exciting. :scratchhead:

Don't forget to start building Jeff, plenty of storage over here :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Duly copied and saved.  I am sure I could work it out even though it is not gamma rays I am sure wiring has not changed since I did my 'A' levels but having someone who has done it and know that it works is so much better.  Thank you.

I assume that it will make no difference if it is DC? I am saying this without actually having studied it yet.

Cheers Chris.

I can't see any reason why it would be any different except you may not have a track bus - but simply a connection to a suitable + and - to a DC power supply.

I'm looking forward to plenty of soldering and polarity testing once I get the boards made. But then I also enjoy ballasting! Masochistic or what?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, it is quiet on here, I have been in the Layouts section and catching up on some bits in there but there isn't much going on in there either.

I will pop back later.

Yep, it HAS been quiet, but then I'm not surprised on KL - it's nearly 3 months since I ripped it apart. What DOES surprise me is that KL continues to amble on at 2500 - 3000 views per week, with little happening! Roll on KL2!

Blimey!! I could feel insulted by that :O  :no: but of course I'm not because I'll go away and try and dream up something more exciting. :scratchhead:

Don't forget to start building Jeff, plenty of storage over here :jester:

Don't worry Jim. I think I'll be starting something after I've been enthused at Jason's! Maybe a platelayer's hut - so I may need to take up your kind offer of storage!!  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I will pop back later.

Ah well, you see we're all franticly working on said layouts, well I am anyway, Greyscroft will be at Birtley on 8th &9th of March and I've just laid the last bit of fiddleyard track, now it's all to wire up, gap the copper clad on the points, build more stock... Have a look in a bit and there might be some pics to see.

Yep, it HAS been quiet, but then I'm not surprised on KL - it's nearly 3 months since I ripped it apart. What DOES surprise me is that KL continues to amble on at 2500 - 3000 views per week, with little happening! Roll on KL2!

Don't worry Jim. I think I'll be starting something after I've been enthused at Jason's! Maybe a platelayer's hut - so I may need to take up your kind offer of storage!!  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

BLIMEY JEFF, how big are you thinking of making it? :O

And son of Bodge :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

• RMweb Premium

BLIMEY JEFF, how big are you thinking of making it? :O

And son of Bodge :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Full size?

No, Andy - I was just being ironic - or is it sarcastic..... the platelayer's hut was about the smallest structure I could think of...

Sad humour I'm afraid!

Jeff

Full size?

No, Andy - I was just being ironic - or is it sarcastic..... the platelayer's hut was about the smallest structure I could think of...

Sad humour I'm afraid!

Jeff

But we all know you would still use 4 x 2 OAK,

and then shave it down to 4mm x 2mm.

HAHHAAAA aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeee :boast: :declare:

• RMweb Premium

Andy, I thought you'd have been shocked by my post # 11383 (above).

Yes, you remember 11383 very well, don't you?....

I'm going to construct the majority of the new Fell using insulation block with a thin plaster coat for surface detail. So the Fell won't be 200kg + anymore, more like 20kg!!! 

BUT I'll never change from 4 x 2! (I was offered some cheap 8 x 2 yesterday - I'm considering it).

Jeff

Andy, I thought you'd have been shocked by my post # 11383 (above).

Yes, you remember 11383 very well, don't you?....

I'm going to construct the majority of the new Fell using insulation block with a thin plaster coat for surface detail. So the Fell won't be 200kg + anymore, more like 20kg!!! 

BUT I'll never change from 4 x 2! (I was offered some cheap 8 x 2 yesterday - I'm considering it).

Jeff

Yea O.K. but you'll still support the Kingspan on 4 x 2 with 6 inch nails. :nono:

You don't do LIGHT WEIGHT. :O

the same as I DON'T DO LESS IS MORE. :no: :no: :no:

For me more is better, :locomotive:

For you Heavier is the only way to go. :O

Hammer house of Horrors :stinker: