Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

You've been very quiet today Jeff; have you been immersed in Six Bells Junction looking to justify future purchases of odd looking locos from other regions? :D

Hi Jason.

I have to admit I've not had a chance to look at that site yet. Domestic tasks of a totally non-railway nature have kept me away from the laptop, excepting a couple of quick "look ins".

I hope the weather improves next week. Don't fancy being blown away on the way to Bingley!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So it was 67 I saw Clun Castle.  Nice to be able to put a date to it.  Back the the generality then.  Through the early 60's it was a steady diet of 4f's, 8F's, black Fives and standard fives, plus of course 9F's on fast freight tnad the Long Megs.   Passenger work was mainly Jubs and Scots with Patriots thrown in.   There were one or two Duchesses on railtours, City of Liverpool once woke me up in chapel during a boring sermon.   WD 2-8-0's were rare vistors mainly of the weekend relaying trains, double headed.

Local passnger work was in the hands of smaller Standards.   There were also the first 4 Class 50's  (D400's ) on a very grubby 19 coach maroon test train.  Usually went up in the morning and back in the afternoon.

Sorry for giving you ideas.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jamie, don't worry about the ideas.... :no:  :no: ...

You're just providing first-hand confirmation of what the photos show and I'll use you as a "primary source" to justify running all that lot!

Always good to hear this kind of thing. Did you take any photos at the time?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately no photos Jeff due to my age and the cost.  However the test train made quite an impression. One morning near the start or finish of school hoilidays but pre 68 a peak on the N/Bound Waverley failed and so they commandeered the D400.  That left 19 coaches, which wouldn't fit in a siding, on the main line at Settle.  They got a small BR Standard Mogel from somewhere asnd it spent most of the day shuffling the train backwards and forwards across the trailing crossover for trains to pass.  The drop downhill was no problem but the sight and sound of it struggling to lift that lot up the hill was fabulous.  A straight up exhaust and sound that I could hear in the house a mile away across the valley.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately no photos Jeff due to my age and the cost.  However the test train made quite an impression. One morning near the start or finish of school hoilidays but pre 68 a peak on the N/Bound Waverley failed and so they commandeered the D400.  That left 19 coaches, which wouldn't fit in a siding, on the main line at Settle.  They got a small BR Standard Mogel from soemwhere asnd it spent most of the day shuffling tghe train backwards and forwards across the trailing crossover for trains to pass.  The drop downhill was no problem but the sight and sound of it struggling to left that lot up the hill was fabulous.  A straight up exhaust and sound that i could hear in the house a mile away across the valley.

Jamie

I like it! You've provided a very interesting scenario for KL2, though any passenger train (pulled by one of my Peaks) will be limited to 5 coaches max (and more likely 4).

I've a Standard Mogul or two that could do the job, and an Ivatt 2-6-0 will, inevitably, join the available roster.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Its all gone very quiet in here, where  are you all.  :boast:

I suppose Jeffs sat somewhere in "The Thinker" mode :O

AndyP will be away away dreaming up his next creation "aka bodger Frankenstein"   :no:

Hi Billy. Yes, very quiet.... I've been busy with house-related stuff and this is the first look on here for 3-4 hours.

Bodge is busy all day, though we might here from him tonight.

Time to have a look in the Lounge, get something to eat and then contemplate ("thinker" like, as you said!) some more 1950s/1960s pics of the S&C.

The great thing I'm seeing in many of the photos is that there are plenty of Johnson 3Fs and Midland 4Fs, all suiably filthy. I love those engines!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

In the absence of any ongoing modelling or discussion, here are a few more photos selected from the archive sent to me by Dave (unravelled), taken in the 1960s...

Black 5 44898

post-13778-0-01237600-1392314933_thumb.jpg

Britannia John Bunyan at Dent

post-13778-0-40901900-1392314943_thumb.jpg

8F 48304, leaving Kirkby Stephen heading south

post-13778-0-86641400-1392314958_thumb.jpg

And a couple of general scenic views, including Arten Gill viaduct

post-13778-0-26123900-1392314971_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-60734100-1392315001_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Here's a few more - again, many thanks to Dave.

The first is for Mike (mike61680), with its Dent perspective. The rest are variations on a freight theme. Enjoy!

post-13778-0-68987400-1392325733_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-47428000-1392325742_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-18809500-1392325750_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-63735400-1392325759_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-11599400-1392325767_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-79382000-1392325774_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 11

Hi Jeff,

What a lovely surprise :no: Just what I needed to give me a lift following my electrical gremlin problems with the single slips, I'll get there, don't know when but I will. Many thanks, cracking pictures.

Hi Jeff, thanks for the pics, that's brightened up an otherwise dull day.

Been up the club tonight weathering the new track with the Air Brush ready for Ballasting in a couple of weeks, were having a track clean on Tuesday and a running session next Thursday. I really looking forward to that, and tomorrow night I think I'm going to the other Jeff's (Binney) to have a run on his small shed Layout.

Off to the Lounge and then an Irish Coffee.

Andy :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

What a lovely surprise :no: Just what I needed to give me a lift following my electrical gremlin problems with the single slips, I'll get there, don't know when but I will. Many thanks, cracking pictures.

Here you go, Mike. Another couple of pics from the collection that Dave (unravelled) sent me.

post-13778-0-84794700-1392329410_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-12947200-1392329415_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, thanks for the pics, that's brightened up an otherwise dull day.

Been up the club tonight weathering the new track with the Air Brush ready for Ballasting in a couple of weeks, were having a track clean on Tuesday and a running session next Thursday. I really looking forward to that, and tomorrow night I think I'm going to the other Jeff's (Binney) to have a run on his small shed Layout.

Off to the Lounge and then an Irish Coffee.

Sounds like you've had a busy day. That Club of yours is proving a godsend!

2 more pics posted prior to this. Dave transferred his old photos to digital format a couple of years ago and sent me a treasure trove of S&C pics - many of which have now found there way onto KL since the thread started. All credit to him!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Both amazing pics. If I'm not careful, I'll know more about S&C than Southern :jester:  :jester:

Duncan

You can see why Dent station is an attractive proposition to the modeller. Compact and surrounded by glorious scenery.

No wonder Mike (and others) has modelled it.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Either he was standing at a funny angle or there is quite a camber(? wrong word probably) on those curves.  Something to include next time.

Super Elevation I think its called.

Andy

Yes, super elevation. I considered doing this on KL but it can be very tricky if you have turnouts cambered at an angle.

I certainly won't be bothering with it. An extreme example was Larry's attempts on Greenfield - how many times did he rip the track up before he was satisfied?

I don't know if Mike is cambering his Dent layout.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andy.

The conversation re. track has reminded me that I need to check how many extra turnouts I'll need for KL2. I saved 11 by going back to the prototype and removing all the branch line loop. However, I'll need a few more for the larger fiddle yard. And a few boxes of SMP - 5 or 6.

I'm glad the photos went down well. Dave (unravelled) sent me these about 18 months ago. They are a nice resource and it's a shame if they aren't aired publicly, if relevant.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I looked at super elevation on the main river bridge on Green Ayre, but as I'd included continous check rails, as per the prototype decided against it.  It was a sharp curve with a low speed limit but I've since found out that it was actually super elevated but it will now have to stay as it was built.

Jamie

The curve on the Club layout is about a 4ft  6 inch Radius and has a Slow Goods holding loop each side which is NOT super Elevated and the transition from flat to elevated looks quite good. As I say I will try and post some pics soon.

P.S. I'm on here because we cancelled Mums Hospital appointment for back exercise class due to INCLEMENT :O weather. :no: :no: :no:

• RMweb Premium

I usually only lurk on here but those S&C photos and particularly Dent have really made me come over all....sort of Jenkinson.....and wanting to model it!  However it would look odd with Fairbanks-Morse diesels on it.....ahem.

Photos like those are such a great modelling resource, thanks to those who took them, and also made them available for us to ogle in interweb world.

NHN

• Like 2