Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Hi all,

Re: Roof trusses. The type fitted now does not work in a loft conversion, the section e.g. 4x2 (if you're lucky) is simply held together with spiked metal plates which can not be removed or the insurance would be 'null and void' should the roof collapse.....so don't go there.

Jeff, Going to your neck of the woods at the weekend, I am planning a trip to Shildon (taking in Dent en-route) probably Saturday to see the 'Great Goodbye' collection of A4's. I only have to cop 60008 Dwight D Eisenhower, I really do hope she's there!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike.

I went down to York in August to see the "Gathering". I'm planning to go to Shildon on Monday/Tuesday of next week to see the "Goodbye".

Here are a couple of pics of Dwight D. from August. Not easy to get a good angle - the NRM was heaving!

post-13778-0-97236800-1392147541_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-45553600-1392147546_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I missed the "Great Gathering"  :O  and now I'm going to miss the "Goodbye". :O  One of these days I'll get something right.

Duncan

I wouldn't worry, Duncan. Unless you are a really keen loco buff it was nothing spectacular. I only went because York is only 50 minutes drive from where I live - and Shildon is 25 mins. If it had been at the other end of the country I wouldn't have bothered.

HOWEVER, if someone put on a show with a collection of classic S&C - wow, that'd be something!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They have the Lanky Aspinall Radial 2-4-2 (1008) in York. I popped in when the Great Gathering was on and spent much more time looking at the Radial than those other things.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't worry, Duncan. Unless you are a really keen loco buff it was nothing spectacular. I only went because York is only 50 minutes drive from where I live - and Shildon is 25 mins. If it had been at the other end of the country I wouldn't have bothered.

HOWEVER, if someone put on a show with a collection of classic S&C - wow, that'd be something!

Jeff

For once, Duncan, I must disagree with what's been said above.  Oh dear, dear, dear. Polly is at odds with the great chief Lunester. :O :o :O :o

Duck. :tomato: :tomato: :tomato:

We saw the the Great Gathering on the last day.  Yes they were tightly packed (well, awkward for photographing) and there were lots of people there, though not as many as were reported at other times, but they did look grand and having the opportunity to stand in the cab of Bittern for the talk was just brilliant. (A Great Goodbye Bittern is on pre-order for GWRd).  Though not as grand as I remember a line-up of locos at Paddington in 1957 - now that was just sheer magic.

Hope you do get it right at some point Duncan.  I'm hoping to get to the Mid-Hants and/or the Bluebell one day not to mention inside the shed that once was 81C.

Enjoy the Shildon display all you who are going.

Polly

• Like 3

Hi Jeff,

Many thanks for the photo's she looks superb. I only saw the last class members during the Indian Summer of the A4s running between Glasgow and Aberdeen but managed to cab all that was left at some point. Dwight D was however withdrawn by then and Mallard was incarcerated in Clapham (which I went to in 1969). Always had a soft spot for them and regularly forsake Central Station and the much more intense services there to go to Buchanan St. Stn. and St.Rollox (Balornock) MPD just to see them, I only have a few utterly useless pictures from those times but they are still magical - to me! 60011 ran into the buffers in Buchanan St. Stn. at some point, 'John Menzies' bookstall was obliterated!

For once, Duncan, I must disagree with what's been said above.  Oh dear, dear, dear. Polly is at odds with the great chief Lunester.

We saw the the Great Gathering on the last day.  Yes they were tightly packed (well, awkward for photographing) and there were lots of people there, though not as many as were reported at other times, but they did look grand and having the opportunity to stand in the cab of Bittern for the talk was just brilliant. (A Great Goodbye Bittern is on pre-order for GWRd).  Though not as grand as I remember a line-up of locos at Paddington in 1957 - now that was just sheer magic.

Hope you do get it right at some point Duncan.  I'm hoping to get to the Mid-Hants and/or the Bluebell one day not to mention inside the shed that once was 81C.

Polly

Thanks Polly.

Although I prefer Southern, coming from an engineering background, I can appreciate good proper engineering. :sungum:  :sungum: :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  

Once I can get my diary sorted out so that I have free time, I will get to some of the preserved railways. I do intend to get to NRM this year at some time though.

Duncan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

For once, Duncan, I must disagree with what's been said above.  Oh dear, dear, dear. Polly is at odds with the great chief Lunester. :O :o :O :o

Polly

That's perfectly ok, Polly - and it's the way life is. Heaven help us if we all agreed with each other.

My perspective is as a modeller who likes building things from model railway layouts to landscape gardens. I was never a trainspotter and the LNER was never my preferred area - so A4s meant less to me than 9Fs or Brits. I've also seen a lot of Bittern and Sir Nigel on the NYMR, so seeing the collection was nice - but not awe inspiring - FOR ME.

I enjoyed the visit, and I'm very happy for those who got a lot more out of it than me.

Sorry if I seemed a bit dismissive.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

S&C / Lunester resources thread:

If you haven't already seen this, have a look at the sub-list that contains Dent, KL, the Lounge etc. John suggested we pool details of any resources we use.

Might I suggest that Lunesters contribute to the list - if you don't model S&C, chip in anyway and after a couple of weeks I'll reorganise things - unless John beats me to it.

So Midland (anywhere), Southern, L&Y, NER etc - let's see what you have....

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's perfectly ok, Polly - and it's the way life is. Heaven help us if we all agreed with each other.

My perspective is as a modeller who likes building things from model railway layouts to landscape gardens. I was never a trainspotter and the LNER was never my preferred area - so A4s meant less to me than 9Fs or Brits. I've also seen a lot of Bittern and Sir Nigel on the NYMR, so seeing the collection was nice - but not awe inspiring - FOR ME.

I enjoyed the visit, and I'm very happy for those who got a lot more out of it than me.

Sorry if I seemed a bit dismissive.

Jeff

Well, if we all agreed on everything we'd all be modelling the GWR.   :laugh:  :D :tomato:

And what we would do with all those smileys?   :scratchhead: :protest:  :banned: :scratchhead:  :sarcastichand:     :nono:

Have fun all, whatever you're plotting planning. :sungum:

Polly Ethel Lean

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Now this was GRAND. The Onion at Bangor (2012) which disappeared in a cloud of smoke into the tunnel.  It was my first time trying to use an iphone to take pictures.  I had more wonky/blurred photos of the platform weeds and my feet than I did of anything else!

post-14049-0-96009400-1370040152.jpg

She's still quite glossy! Nice bit of weathering on the track, though. :mosking:

Ah, well. Teabreak over.

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

We'd all be too depressed to smile :D

As funny and perceptive as usual, Jason. 

Are you sure there were never any Castles or Kings through Bacup?

I've a few pics showing Castles on the S&C, but only for Special Tours.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am totally positive Jeff. Bacup was a terminus at the head of an off-the-beaten-path valley and not really the kind of location that saw a lot of railtours until it was threatened with closure (both of the Facit and then the Bury routes). From the photos I have seen of railtours, the motive power was (on different occasions) an Ivatt 2MT, Stanier 3MT, 'A' Class and L&Y Pug, although that wasn't all the way up to Bacup as it went up the Facit branch which had been truncated by that point.

Put it another way; the B1 that worked the Wakes Week special was such a rarity that it was recorded in a book, and was probably a B1 'borrowed' from a shed in Manchester before being required to work back over the Pennines.. Wakes Weeks weren't railtours by the way, they were additional services put on to get all the mill workers to holiday locations when the mills closed down for a week in summer. P

Places like Bacup just ticked over with the mundane, the railway just serving a purpose with no glamour or excitement, simply moving commuters and large amounts of freight up and down the valley from / to more important places. From a photographer's perspective, I suppose it would be a bit dull which is, I guess, why there aren't many available.

Suits me though, because I'n not interested in large fancy Pacifics. I an honestly say that even if I had the space to justify something like the WCML, I wouldn't want to model it and would go for a secondary route instead.

• RMweb Premium

As funny and perceptive as usual, Jason. 

Are you sure there were never any Castles or Kings through Bacup?

I've a few pics showing Castles on the S&C, but only for Special Tours.

Jeff

I remember seeing Clun Castle through Settle in the last year of steam and there may ahve been others since but certainly no Kin gs which had clearnace issues.  Likewise we had at least one A4 (Gresley I think) in early 68.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Jason, I understand where you are coming from.

I do like some of the Pacifics/Atlantics but, as you well know, I'd rather have a large engine hauling a long freight, with everything grubbed up. I much prefer that to a pristine engine with a set of coaches.

A few of the Lunesters have taught me the value of some of the "little guys". The 3F and 4Fs I bought last year are among my favourites, as are the G2A and WD. I must acquire a couple of Ivatts and get them grotted!

KL probably had a wider range of traction than Bacup. Even if it never truly resounded to the passing of many MNs, Castles and Kings!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

The S&C has a vastly wider range of traction, at all periods of both line's existence.

Just having a look on Six Bells Junction, a website which lists a huge number of railtours, where they went and what hauled them, etc. An example is below:

14th October 1967, L.C.G.B (North West Branch), the  Castle To Carlisle railtour: 7029 'Clun Castle' hauled it from Carlisle to Hellifield

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/ - hours of 'fun' to be had in there :D

• RMweb Premium

I doubt there'll be many, if any, interlopers on KL in the next couple of years.

Of non-Midland/NER stock that I've always aimed to buy: an A3, O1, B12 (if a new model is ever released), Castle and a couple of MNs would do.

That list pales into insignificance compared to the Midland/NER locos I'll be buying - along with all the wagons etc.

All a moot point at the mo - as 2014 will inevitably be virtually loco free.

Still no sign of Bachmann releasing their green 40s - they must be doing a major quality control check on them.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman