Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff do 'they' actually buiild new houses with usable, weight bearing, floor joists in the roof space nowadays?  Most of the stuff I've seen being unloaded on building sites looks smaller in section than you lower underpinnings for KL1   :O    Our house does have very substantial joists but only because I specified them that particular way.

To be fair Mike, the Cutty Sark has less substantial underpinnings than KL1 :D

• RMweb Premium

To be fair Mike, the Cutty Sark has less substantial underpinnings than KL1 :D

The sweatshirt just needs a wash. If there's a stain I'll send you the bill!   :D  :D  :D

As for the "underpinnings"..... you'll be impressed with the 5" x 3" L-girders I'm going to build (4 x 2 and 1 x 3).... I'm serious.  :angel:  :angel:

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Mike, from what I've seen in the last 2 new-build houses I bought (in 1996 and 2001), the answer to your question is NO.

I suspect any proper loft conversion would initially require additional joisting to be fitted.

Something that I may have to look into at some stage. 

Good to hear from you. Hope whatever layout projects you have on the go are making progress!

Jeff

Layout project not progressing at present (apart from teh encver ending business of stock acquisition) due waiting warm enough weather, and lack of precipitation, in order to reach 'the room' without freezing or drowning plus I really ought to get a bit more brickwork finished enroute to the room.  And for my sins I have just been volunteered to become modulemeister for Cap'n Kernow's `swagdays' event in April so apart from doing some things to my own module I'm allegedly now 'responsible' for organising others.  Shame you're not near enough to Zummerzet to volunteer to fill the 'missing' corner in April  :scratchhead:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Layout project not progressing at present (apart from teh encver ending business of stock acquisition) due waiting warm enough weather, and lack of precipitation, in order to reach 'the room' without freezing or drowning plus I really ought to get a bit more brickwork finished enroute to the room.  And for my sins I have just been volunteered to become modulemeister for Cap'n Kernow's `swagdays' event in April so apart from doing some things to my own module I'm allegedly now 'responsible' for organising others.  Shame you're not near enough to Zummerzet to volunteer to fill the 'missing' corner in April  :scratchhead:

Funny thing, that. When I read your earlier post I visualised the module you made for the Taunton meet a couple of years ago - your bespoke hillside!

I don't think you'd want me in Somerset - you don't have strong enough trestle tables!!!   :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Funny thing, that. When I read your earlier post I visualised the module you made for the Taunton meet a couple of years ago - your bespoke hillside!

I don't think you'd want me in Somerset - you don't have strong enough trestle tables!!!   :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

I modified the module last year building a little shunting layout on top - having first sawn off the top of the original hillside (well a saw was quicker than anything else).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I modified the module last year building a little shunting layout on top - having first sawn off the top of the original hillside (well a saw was quicker than anything else).

Mike, have you ever set up a layout thread on the Forum? You've put in a lot more posts than anyone else, mostly chipping in with your expertise from your railway background. You've submitted a few photos from time to time of layouts you've been working on, but has there ever been a specific layout/theme with a thread?

And btw, come late summer I'll be back to the woodwork etc in the new garage. Which is where you came in, back in March 2012!

Jeff

Running whatever you wish is good; it's all part of getting fun out of the hobby by running what you like rather than being tied to specifics. It's not for me but I am probably in a minority with that. But, what about exhibition layouts?

There was a club layout at Doncaster this weekend; can't remember what it was called or the club (and wouldn't put it up even if I did know) but they were running a mixture of whatever they had; Class 66's, A4's, Standard tanks, Big 4 liveried locos, even a couple of pre-grouping locos. These were hauling an eclectic mix of stock from all eras, regions, etc; including mixing coaching and freight stock in the same train.

Fine for a home layout or club night but at a major exhibition?I

I'm sorry to say but our concensus was 'How the hell did that get invited to a show?'

Abso blood* lutely Jason, at Exhibitions I run the CORRECT LOCOS AND STOCK, but if someone comes along and says can you run this, then I will, but sitting at the front of the layout I always make light of it with the paying Public.

It can also go the other way, at Nottingham last year I went to Video trains running on Borchester Market several times during the show, I was eventually told by an operator that it was being run to a time table, NOT just running trains willy nilly. That's fine for the operators, they were having a natter and a cup of coffee but no good for me and many others leaning on the barriers.

The same was true of BCB at Stafford, I did get some shots of things moving but a couple of people I spoke to seemed to wonder when the next train would appear which was such a shame for such a great layout. I hope it was well received at Donny.

Andy :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

The above sort of reminded me of something from yesterday, in a weird way. I wanted to subscribe to BRM and they had an offer on; subscribe and you got a bag of toilet brush trees, the weirdest coloured static grass EVER, a tiny bottle of glue and a couple of books on how to do scenery that may be ok but I don't need them.

As such, I told the chap (the editor, can't remember his name) that I wanted to subscribe but didn't want anything to do with that bag of crap they were chucking in with the deal. Outcome? They are sending me a load of weathering stuff from a previous offer.

Result !   :D

Beat you mate, last year at Donny if you subscribed for 2 years you got a Bachhy Std 4 FREE, I couldn't get to the show but phoned up the following week, paid my £90 for 2 years and I have another Std 4 in my collection.

Big Head :no: :no: :no:

• RMweb Premium

Beat you mate, last year at Donny if you subscribed for 2 years you got a Bachhy Std 4 FREE, I couldn't get to the show but phoned up the following week, paid my £90 for 2 years and I have another Std 4 in my collection.

Big Head :no: :no: :no:

You and Jason are a wily old pair of birds. I wouldn't have the nerve to tell them their offer is crap and can I have a different one!?

As for the issue of running exhibition layouts to a timetable.... It's been much discussed elsewhere. My view is that at an exhibition the paying public comes first. What a turn off for young kids if they have to wait 30 minutes for "the 9.45 from the fiddle yard"...!!

On the other hand, Andy, maybe that's what we'll do when you next visit. We can have Belgian buns in the intervening period!

Jeff

• Like 1

You and Jason are a wily old pair of birds. I wouldn't have the nerve to tell them their offer is crap and can I have a different one!?

As for the issue of running exhibition layouts to a timetable.... It's been much discussed elsewhere. My view is that at an exhibition the paying public comes first. What a turn off for young kids if they have to wait 30 minutes for "the 9.45 from the fiddle yard"...!!

On the other hand, Andy, maybe that's what we'll do when you next visit. We can have Belgian buns in the intervening period!

Jeff

I thought that's what you did last time, hhahhaaaa

Andy :no:

Jeff

Hi Jeff & all,

I quite agree about exhibition - ism ! I really do not understand why some exhibitors run to timetable which is pretty irrelevant to the paying public, nor do I understand why they parade all manner of mixed stock over a perfectly depicted scene from an historical period, I just give them a glance and walk on by. I was wore out when I took Bermuda Road to exhibition as I made sure things kept moving which can be difficult on an end to end layout based on an MPD that is analogue operated. I know I'm just a martyr!

Also, I stopped going to Doncaster two years ago as it was more of a box-shifters convention than an exhibition.

Jeff:

Roof trusses: If the house is being built could a chat with the builders give you a better option, standard trusses are just about useless to even crawl through however there is an option to have the central section 'square' as opposed to 'triangular' which would at least afford some movement through.

Book: Glad you are pleased.

'L' girders: I no longer care :beee:  I'm on vallium and my pacemaker battery is rechargeable :jester:

Bullieds on KL2, A Rebuilt MN worked over the S&C in the mid-late 60's on a special, so buy some headboards and off you go!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I kind of differ in opinion here (no surprise there :)) with exhibition layouts but it does depend on the layout in question. A well done finescale layout which has had many hundreds of hours of effort put into it should not be considered the same as a crowd pleaser in my opinion, because the intention of the builders is for their (maybe smaller appreciative) audience to be more interested in the atmosphere and effort that has gone into the layout than seeing a procession of trains running through.

Once again, maybe what I like is different to quite a few others but I much prefer the society shows than the club ones mainly for this reason (Railex in Aylesbury is my favourite show in the calendar by a country mile). If / when I get round to building an exhibition layout, I can see that it won't appeal to kids at all but that really isn't the audience I would want anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Mike.

Yes, I've enjoyed going through the book. I've another S&C book by Michael Welch, all photos in colour. I really do prefer the black and white shots - more gritty - though colour would be more useful for providing weathering info.

I try not to mention the woodwork too much. However, my reputation precedes me. At the end of the day you won't see any of it and as long as the structure is functional I'll be happy. Good to hear you've got the pacemaker sorted! 

As for the MN..... Maybe one day..... (though if Hornby continue with "design clever" I won't be buying any of their models)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I kind of differ in opinion here (no surprise there :)) with exhibition layouts but it does depend on the layout in question. A well done finescale layout which has had many hundreds of hours of effort put into it should not be considered the same as a crowd pleaser in my opinion, because the intention of the builders is for their (maybe smaller appreciative) audience to be more interested in the atmosphere and effort that has gone into the layout than seeing a procession of trains running through.

Once again, maybe what I like is different to quite a few others but I much prefer the society shows than the club ones mainly for this reason (Railex in Aylesbury is my favourite show in the calendar by a country mile). If / when I get round to building an exhibition layout, I can see that it won't appeal to kids at all but that really isn't the audience I would want anyway.

The thing is, you have a clear idea of what you want and what you are willing to do/offer at an exhibition. If the exhibition manager wants that, then that's great.

The last thing you want to be doing is to run your layout in a way that is different to how you designed it.

I'm not an exhibition person, so I'm happy to listen to the range of viewpoints that will inevitably arise.

A MN doing specials on the S&C, Jason. Sounds like the equivalent of that B1 you spotted!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Jeff if there is an option to get suitable trusses go for it it will be much cheaper during the build than afterwards. These trusses are normally built to the minimum probably laying a floor to store junk overloads them before the junk goes in. When they put a loft coversion in a bungalow with modern trusses they usually replace them with new ones that just have struts in the corners. With older house you can sometimes get away with sticking a loft in there as the builders would just stick in 4x2s or 5x2s  for ceiling joists but you often find small cracks in the ceilings below. To do the job properly in our bungalow they have placed 8x2s between them you can feel the difference. The problem is never that the joist will break it is the deflection mid span which tends to be felt as springyness of the floor. Unfortunately the plaster underneath is not springy.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Mike, have you ever set up a layout thread on the Forum? You've put in a lot more posts than anyone else, mostly chipping in with your expertise from your railway background. You've submitted a few photos from time to time of layouts you've been working on, but has there ever been a specific layout/theme with a thread?

And btw, come late summer I'll be back to the woodwork etc in the new garage. Which is where you came in, back in March 2012!

Jeff

I think you'd better come and stay for a few days and get my 'benchwork' underway Jeff - the fist stage of the layout plan (plann????) exists as a rough sketch and is very uninspiring which might make it easier to build (I hope) plus there are grand ideas for other parts of it but it will be multi-level to suit my ambitions and that means complicated woodwork for some of it such as getting from one level to another.  Hopefully I will get started this year (he said, again) and rather cussedly go for the top level first which will be sort of North & West mainline which allows a reasonable sprinkling of exLMS and even ex LNWR locos as well as ones from the proper Railway.  Now where did I put those 60 mineral wagon kits?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think you'd better come and stay for a few days and get my 'benchwork' underway Jeff - the fist stage of the layout plan (plann????) exists as a rough sketch and is very uninspiring which might make it easier to build (I hope) plus there are grand ideas for other parts of it but it will be multi-level to suit my ambitions and that means complicated woodwork for some of it such as getting from one level to another.  Hopefully I will get started this year (he said, again) and rather cussedly go for the top level first which will be sort of North & West mainline which allows a reasonable sprinkling of exLMS and even ex LNWR locos as well as ones from the proper Railway.  Now where did I put those 60 mineral wagon kits?

Oh dear, multiple levels!

Sounds like you're going to need a helix or two..... Mike McManus (mike61680) has constructed such on his "Dent" layout (in the S&C section).

Maybe you should start working on the main level and worry about the complications later. I don't know what your schedule is like these days but if you have somewhere to get cracking I don't know how you resist.

I hope you aren't in the flood zone. I can't remember anything like this happening before.

Jeff

Oh dear, multiple levels!

Sounds like you're going to need a helix or two..... Mike McManus (mike61680) has constructed such on his "Dent" layout (in the S&C section).

Maybe you should start working on the main level and worry about the complications later. I don't know what your schedule is like these days but if you have somewhere to get cracking I don't know how you resist.

I hope you aren't in the flood zone. I can't remember anything like this happening before.

Jeff

Jeff, it would appear that most if not all Lunesters must have a safe abode, I have read nothing to the contrary so far, no layouts underwater, no sheds blown away, no roofs gone walk about's in the Gales.

It must be awful to lose everything you've worked hard for all your life. When we lived down South we would go to Walton on Thames and sit by the river for a picnic or go to the Local Pub for Lunch. Its a beautiful part of the country and has some nice property's all along the banks.

When I lived in Surrey (Addelstone) as a youngster we would go fishing on the River Wey, the Thames and the Lakes, I remember seeing them high but never like this.

P.S. Been out with the dog as its been glorious sunshine since about 12.30 and I am sitting in my conservatory with the sun poring in, LUVLEY JUBLIE. :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Andy :beee:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Andy.

Sunny here now. My current house is about 60 metres above sea level and the new one around 100m. So unless the Antarctic ice all melts I should be safe.

I've just had a text interchange with Greg from Kernow Model Rail Centre. I sent them best wishes and asked how it was down there. Apparently, they are ok being a bit further inland and away from the incoming waves etc. I hope the businesses find ways to maintain their trade.

Jeff

• Like 2