Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Like it, Jaz.

I know the loft in the new house will be around 22' x 36', but that'll be a project (maybe) for the future. 

The problem with modern new-builds is the bizarre roof-struts. I guess your house is a bit older, with a more "sensible" roof support structure.

Of course, the temptation can be to take on too much. My 16' x 16' will keep me going for at least 5 years, with more than half that time spent on the detailed, "finishing" touches.

Jeff

• Like 1

In a year's time, Andy, you'll look back on these posts and smile. You'll be quite contentedly running your trains around "TLGP" while secretly planning "TVLGP" (V being Very).

You should go and play at the Club - it looks like you've had a profound influence on the stuff they make and run.

Anyway, when you've finalised your latest plan, let's see it - on here or Wye Dale.

Jeff

Dees been at my Stepsons for a few days in Hampshire, and he is the one who will be doing most of the shed work with me as he's a builder, but yesterday they nearly LOST a 20ft x 12ft Timber shed that is FIXED to a concrete base, the roof started to lift and crack the 3x2 timbers inside, and its only been up 18 Months.

His advice is to keep the concrete garage and build a timber one inside, for warmth, strength, security and cost.

It sounds like common sense if we are to have more of the same weather in years to come.

Our neighbor lost 3 ridge tiles in the mini Tornado we had a couple of weeks ago and my mate in Burton has had 2 x 2ft holes blow into his roof and his House is only about 10 years old.

Still planning but the Potting Shed is getting smaller by the day, hhaha

And :sungum:  

• RMweb Gold

Like it, Jaz.

I know the loft in the new house will be around 22' x 36', but that'll be a project (maybe) for the future. 

The problem with modern new-builds is the bizarre roof-struts. I guess your house is a bit older, with a more "sensible" roof support structure.

Of course, the temptation can be to take on too much. My 16' x 16' will keep me going for at least 5 years, with more than half that time spent on the detailed, "finishing" touches.

Jeff

Jeff,

If your new house is like mine it is not only the struts that are a problem, mine is only 4ft tall.  So much for all the storage space my wife wanted.

Edited by ChrisN

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

If your new house is like mine it is not only the struts that are a problem, mine is only 4ft tall.  So much for all the storage spce my wife wanted.

I will let you know in about 4 months time!

The roof space will just become the usual dumping place for the next year or two. However, when I've got the garden and bunker under control I'll have a think about the loft potential.

If you've only got 4ish feet, is your roof at a shallow angle or is it because of the numerous cross-struts up there?

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I will let you know in about 4 months time!

The roof space will just become the usual dumping place for the next year or two. However, when I've got the garden and bunker under control I'll have a think about the loft potential.

If you've only got 4ish feet, is your roof at a shallow angle or is it because of the numerous cross-struts up there?

Jeff

Jeff,

The roof has a very shallow angle.  You can store stuff near the hatch but after about 3 or 4ft the struts take over.

• RMweb Premium

Mike has sent me a copy of Michael Welch's book "Steam over the Roof of England".

I've a fair collection of S&C material and this is another good one, with plenty of black and white photos covering the entire line, at various dates.

Cheers Mike.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

No Jeff, when Jason reads this he will see the error of his ways and go out and get at least 3 Bulleids, and a Q1. :O

And :sungum:  

Just catching up with the waffle on here and I spotted this.

I can CATEGORICALLY state that none of those weird Southern atrocities will ever appear on my layout. CATEGORICALLY.

Saw a few B1's at Doncaster on the box shifter's stands (far too many of them and not enough proper traders in my opinion, e.g. those who sell things to allow people to model rather than collect). I have to admit that I was tempted for a moment but then came to my senses; buying a loco that ran once into the valley is just daft in my opinion, for my layout. I think my brush is getting finer and finer all the time, to the point where I am looking at one or two other locos that I have and questioning whether they should stay (well, whether they should be regauged to EM for another layout......). When I operate Bacup, even behind closed doors (which is all the time really), I want to capture a time and a specific location and even if I dearly loved something like a blue Class 40, to run it in would ruin that illusion in my head.

The thing is, and I really don't mean any bad by this or want to offend, but I am not a collector of locos and the like because I like them. I can understand why people do so and can see the attraction but I just can't bring myself to splash the cash on stuff I won't use.

Disclaimer: With the exception of the Lanky Class 30, which although they did get used on the lines up to Bacup, were all gone by '51.

• Like 8

Like it, Jaz.

Jeffe

We had the loft trusses in the extension specially made to ensure the space was useable and could be insulated. The trusses are bigger than even you layout framework. :angel:

Edited by Kal
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jason.

What you say is in no way offensive. The hobby is a very personal matter and each to his/her own.

I'll run KL2 as S&C for 99%+ of the time. However, I really love the rebuilt (un-streamlined) Merchant Navy locos and because I know I'd get pleasure from watching one go around my layout, I'll get one. I'm not trying to create KL as a replica of a real thing - I'm doing it because the project is great fun. So anything that can add to that I'll do.

As I said, we should always respect what everybody else does/doesn't want to do, and I know you totally agree with that.

My Southern "digression" is a mere blip to the temptation Bodge is suffering, bearing in mind his Southern roots!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We had the loft trusses in the extension specially mad to ensure the space was useable and could be insulated. The trusses are bigger than even you layout framework. :angel:

That sounds eminently sensible. I suspect the loft in my new house won't see any useful action for a few years. But I'd certainly consider using part of it for a secondary layout at some point in the future. This would more than likely be a shunting plank, 10 to 12 feet long.

We will see!

Jeff

• Like 2

It cost couple of thousand more, but having a playroom, they reckon added saleability and maybe as much as 10K to the value of the house.

So even if you do not intend to use it, it makes a good walk in storage space and potential if you sell it on.

Furthermore, If you decide to grow it in the future, you can add dormer windows without further planning approval if it is below the roofline. It makes sense to have the apex of the roof as high as is practicable.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It cost couple of thousand more, but having a playroom, they reckon added saleability and maybe as much as 10K to the value of the house.

So even if you do not intend to use it, it makes a good walk in storage space and potential if you sell it on.

Furthermore, If you decide to grow it in the future, you can add dormer windows without further planning approval if it is below the roofline. It makes sense to have the apex of the roof as high as is practicable.

My dad is a retired joiner. In 1980 I helped him convert the loft of his bungalow into a very large bedroom and we fitted dormer windows.

The loft space in his house had a sensible roof support system - not like the present stuff. If the new house had been like his, I'd have felt confident to do the conversion myself. As it is it'll have to be contracted out and probably - initially - be a store room with Velux-type windows.

I'll be spending a fortune in the next few years on the garden, bunker and orangery, so the roof will have to wait!!

Jeff

Afternoon all, Well Jason is correct in every respect, but there are a few of us that still run what we want, and that's good.

I do have to say that if I built a Prototypical Branch Line Terminus in say Scotland Blue period I would NOT run a Bulleid on it, and likewise for a GWR Branch I would not run a Blue 45 or HST.

But because I'm just a LAYOUT BUILDER I get a lot of pleasure from seeing some of my favorite Locos moving and NOT in the cabinet.

As my room is now getting much smaller I am wondering if I will have room for any more than a Branch Terminus, or even a complete run around the room. If that is the case then I will model it to the best of my ability and may even rationalization the fleet, starting with the big Eastern Region Engines, I may even at this stage not take delivery of the 3 Bulleids I have put by as I still have that option.

If it is a BLT then it will be Midland as I have 3F, and 4F with sound and also the 108 unit so I may take the Jason route to a small degree.

It won't be a scale model of any particular Station but it will Look like a Midland Station with Midland Scenics and Midland Stock, just as before but a lot less of it. :O

Andy :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Andy, just remember that your garage/shed will probably be a fair bit bigger than what you've had for the last few years. And look at what you've managed to achieve there!

Keep us posted on developments as we are all keen to see you start as soon as your house move goes through. It's been odd for the last couple of months - I'm used to seeing your daily updates. Not quite as drastic as Larry, but sometimes equally dramatic changes from day to day!!!  :O  :O  :O

(Well we sometimes have to guess which layout you were completing / starting / re-gauging..... from day to day!)

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi all,

I must say that I'm actually quite relieved to see that others have *some* conflict of interest!

Apart from Jason, of course! I've always wished that I could be equally focussed on my one project and I am approaching that with Windley, thank goodness!

My problem is partly due to having travelled around quite a lot, particularly during my formative years - all around Europe & into Morocco, finally settling in France at the age of 14! Isn't that the sort of age when we get really stuck on modelling what we see?

I've also moved around a fair bit, club wise as my current club, Manchester is my 4th and one gets exposed to many different influences through meeting all these different folk.

I stick by what I sometimes call myself - a butterfly, ha, ha, ha!

Cheers,

John E.

PS I'm coming down with a nasty virus that I've been fighting for several days, it's leaving me very weak & unfocussed so expect me to be off here for a while! Toodles!

Edit: Oops, sorry! I thought I was in the lounge!!!

Edited by Allegheny1600

• RMweb Premium

Don't worry about that, John. The whole layout discussion is relevant, Lounge or KL.

I love the S&C and it may be that once I get into the building bit there'll be no time for anything but the S&C focus.

And btw, I thought that at age 14 we were ditching model railways and finding more interesting hormone-controlled pastimes!!

Hope the virus doesn't stop you posting. You need your 5-a-day and daily dose of Lunester-cy to keep you healthy!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jason.

What you say is in no way offensive. The hobby is a very personal matter and each to his/her own.

I'll run KL2 as S&C for 99%+ of the time. However, I really love the rebuilt (un-streamlined) Merchant Navy locos and because I know I'd get pleasure from watching one go around my layout, I'll get one. I'm not trying to create KL as a replica of a real thing - I'm doing it because the project is great fun. So anything that can add to that I'll do.

As I said, we should always respect what everybody else does/doesn't want to do, and I know you totally agree with that.

My Southern "digression" is a mere blip to the temptation Bodge is suffering, bearing in mind his Southern roots!

Jeff

Running whatever you wish is good; it's all part of getting fun out of the hobby by running what you like rather than being tied to specifics. It's not for me but I am probably in a minority with that. But, what about exhibition layouts?

There was a club layout at Doncaster this weekend; can't remember what it was called or the club (and wouldn't put it up even if I did know) but they were running a mixture of whatever they had; Class 66's, A4's, Standard tanks, Big 4 liveried locos, even a couple of pre-grouping locos. These were hauling an eclectic mix of stock from all eras, regions, etc; including mixing coaching and freight stock in the same train.

Fine for a home layout or club night but at a major exhibition?I

I'm sorry to say but our concensus was 'How the hell did that get invited to a show?'

• RMweb Premium

Running whatever you wish is good; it's all part of getting fun out of the hobby by running what you like rather than being tied to specifics. It's not for me but I am probably in a minority with that. But, what about exhibition layouts?

There was a club layout at Doncaster this weekend; can't remember what it was called or the club (and wouldn't put it up even if I did know) but they were running a mixture of whatever they had; Class 66's, A4's, Standard tanks, Big 4 liveried locos, even a couple of pre-grouping locos. These were hauling an eclectic mix of stock from all eras, regions, etc; including mixing coaching and freight stock in the same train.

Fine for a home layout or club night but at a major exhibition?I

I'm sorry to say but our concensus was 'How the hell did that get invited to a show?'

Amazing, bearing in mind it was a fairly major exhibition.

Maybe the organisers thought they'd have at least one layout with everything chucked in to keep the kids happy?

Unless someone works out a way to transport my bunker, KL will never be exhibited. With the experience of moving Bacup twice in the last year, you could consider exhibiting it...

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I get quite a lot of pressure to exhibit it but even though it has now moved twice in eight months, it took quite a few hours each time to get it presentable again and that is not something that I would be wanting to do at an exhibition. The dimensions of the largest board (6' x 3') are also a bit too large for your average van; it needs to be laid flat and then where do the other boards go? 

You will just have to treat your visit like you are attending an exhibition. Don't have a bath for a couple of weeks beforehand, dig out your largest rucksack and bring some cash along so that I can sell you a paper cup full of weak tea and a sandwich with some wet lettuce, cheese and sod all flavour for 4 quid, I can then whisk you down to Frizinghalls so you can buy a load of locos that you don't really need and can't afford. On viewing the layout, you can snort, talk with a nasal accent, point at various items and comment on how they are nothing like the buildings you remember seeing in Germany when you were a child in the 1920's.

• RMweb Premium

The above sort of reminded me of something from yesterday, in a weird way. I wanted to subscribe to BRM and they had an offer on; subscribe and you got a bag of toilet brush trees, the weirdest coloured static grass EVER, a tiny bottle of glue and a couple of books on how to do scenery that may be ok but I don't need them.

As such, I told the chap (the editor, can't remember his name) that I wanted to subscribe but didn't want anything to do with that bag of crap they were chucking in with the deal. Outcome? They are sending me a load of weathering stuff from a previous offer.

Result !   :D

• RMweb Premium

Great entertainment value, Jason.

One of these days you might decide to really speak your mind!!

Btw, I was drinking my coffee when I read those posts. Narrowly missed splattering the laptop and I now need to change my sweatshirt.

I begin to understand how Lee managed to see a difference in the way me and you post....see Lounge post # 4091.

Anyway, I'll make sure I don't wash for the next 2 weeks and I'll knock on your door and ask Sofia for a **** and lettuce sandwich!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

That sounds eminently sensible. I suspect the loft in my new house won't see any useful action for a few years. But I'd certainly consider using part of it for a secondary layout at some point in the future. This would more than likely be a shunting plank, 10 to 12 feet long.

We will see!

Jeff

Jeff do 'they' actually buiild new houses with usable, weight bearing, floor joists in the roof space nowadays?  Most of the stuff I've seen being unloaded on building sites looks smaller in section than you lower underpinnings for KL1   :O    Our house does have very substantial joists but only because I specified them that particular way.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff do 'they' actually buiild new houses with usable, weight bearing, floor joists in the roof space nowadays?  Most of the stuff I've seen being unloaded on building sites looks smaller in section than you lower underpinnings for KL1   :O    Our house does have very substantial joists but only because I specified them that particular way.

Mike, from what I've seen in the last 2 new-build houses I bought (in 1996 and 2001), the answer to your question is NO.

I suspect any proper loft conversion would initially require additional joisting to be fitted.

Something that I may have to look into at some stage. 

Good to hear from you. Hope whatever layout projects you have on the go are making progress!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Sincere apologies for ruining your jumper Jeff.

I am currently chain drilling the original glazing from a Dapol LMS Suburban coach, which is about as exciting as you imagine it to be. I am doing this so that I can cut out the bulbous windows and allow it to still clip into place (it's key to holding the interior of the coach and the roof in place); a set of Shawplan laser cut windows have already been glued in (with varnish, carefully). Fun fun fun.

• Like 1