Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Interesting to see a pair of LMS 10000s going head to head from about 1.07 into the video.

Oh dear, it may be something else to buy!!

Jeff

Something else to buy. :O :o :O :o ......................X2 :no:        :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

haahahaaahahahahah

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if you caught it in my thread but in a book I bought recently, there is a note at the end reporting that a B1 was the motive power on a special from Bacup to Blackpool in 1962. A B1 !!

Now I can justify buying and renumbering a Hornby one (the number is recorded) but you already know I won't because it was such a one-off that it was recorded; I really want to depict the mundane, day to day rather than the special occasions.

Where am I going with this, you may ask. Well, to put yourself off spending a small fortune, you need to ask yourself how often would they be used, especially if (when) you get to the point of operating to a rudimentary timetable.

(I am quite tempted though :D)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jason is right on one point and also you said to me that you will run mainly freight, so more 9F's 8F's and the like, now that's money well spent.

And :sungum:

Yes, Andy, KL will be dominated by freight. If you think of when you came up, what did we mostly run - freight. It seems to appeal to both of us, and ~I know Jason's a fan!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if you caught it in my thread but in a book I bought recently, there is a note at the end reporting that a B1 was the motive power on a special from Bacup to Blackpool in 1962. A B1 !!

Now I can justify buying and renumbering a Hornby one (the number is recorded) but you already know I won't because it was such a one-off that it was recorded; I really want to depict the mundane, day to day rather than the special occasions.

Where am I going with this, you may ask. Well, to put yourself off spending a small fortune, you need to ask yourself how often would they be used, especially if (when) you get to the point of operating to a rudimentary timetable.

(I am quite tempted though :D)

I AM quite tempted, too. However, my temptation is limited by the "embargo" I've put on new purchases this year - other than the 2 class 40 pre-orders (on order since January 2013).

If these models are still available when KL2 has running capability then it's likely I'd get one (or more).

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for not being very proactive on here today.

Still indulging myself at my dad's, with model railways a bit in the background.

If anyone has any sparkling wit or reparti to CHIP in, please do so!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Surely the rule has to be buy what you need first then you can buy the 'specials'  otherwise it is a bit silly if you have say Mallard but not the 0-6-0 for the pick up freight especially if you are modelling LMS!

I noticed today you are approaching a quarter of a million views on KL

Don

• RMweb Premium

Don't encourage me, Don. I'm trying very hard to dampen my enthusiasm for railway purchases at the moment!

Nowhere to run locos, a layout months away and a fortune to spend on the new house.....

I never bought a single loco in 2012. 20 in 2013, so 2014 can be a quiet one.

As for 250,000 views. Totally crazy!

Jeff

• Like 2

No wit, no banter, no humour, no railway, no shed, no plan, no enthusiasm, no thread, no posts.

Just about sums up my feelings at the moment.

Moving in a few weeks I hope.

May need to MOVE AGAIN in another 6 Months to accommodate Mum.

May not build the shed yet, NO POINT.

Wish we had known before we went for this place.

The plot is to small to extend.

The railway will stay in storage for what could be ????

Its been 3 years all bar a couple of Months since we put this on the market.

PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDD off of Swad. :scratchhead:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

No wit, no banter, no humour, no railway, no shed, no plan, no enthusiasm, no thread, no posts.

Just about sums up my feelings at the moment.

Moving in a few weeks I hope.

May need to MOVE AGAIN in another 6 Months to accommodate Mum.

May not build the shed yet, NO POINT.

Wish we had known before we went for this place.

The plot is to small to extend.

The railway will stay in storage for what could be ????

Its been 3 years all bar a couple of Months since we put this on the market.

PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDD off of Swad. :scratchhead:

Good post, Andy. Kind of sums things up. The only way is to be positive - the lows make the highs SO much better.

Come on, Rob. We need another cracking photo to cheer us up!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Tell you what - why don't you all come round my place and practice your modelling skills in my garage? :)...

Did you read my reply to your post on Dent?

Do have a go at modifying your boards. And Lee, you've nothing to worry about with the buildings - they're really good.

Jeff

Funny thing is - you guys are all itching for somewhere to get modelling in - I've got somewhere, but no darn time to do it! I've just managed a sneaky half hour in the kitchen tonight adding a little foliage around the base of my Goods Shed after a re-weather last night - yes Jeff, I dry brushed the whole lot again

• RMweb Premium

Funny thing is - you guys are all itching for somewhere to get modelling in - I've got somewhere, but no darn time to do it! I've just managed a sneaky half hour in the kitchen tonight adding a little foliage around the base of my Goods Shed after a re-weather last night - yes Jeff, I dry brushed the whole lot again

You've had a really good response to your shed on your thread. You'd get the same if you posted a pic on here! Don't be too critical (I say that, but I'm the same!!)

And yes, Bodge and I are busting to get some baseboards on the go. Jason is right when he tells me to do loads of other things, but it is VERY hard to motivate yourself to do something when there's no layout.

One reason why I enjoy the banter - and inspiration of the work currently being done by others.

Jeff

Chin up chaps, I've had my trains in storage for 15 years... and although my shed was put up on November 5th, it's still unusable and awaiting reconstruction.

We'll get there in the end

It was 29 years for me, worth waiting for as my models are better now than then, mainly through the better choice of materials now and not my diminishing dexterity and eyesight. :mosking:

I'm with Jason on the scratch building front - you're going to need a station building right? Well start planning it - you know from building the Viaduct just how addictive it is. You'll get the same from making buildings, I know I do... I guess that's why I've got a Signal Box, a Station Building, Waiting room and now a goods shed before I've even got a proper layout to put them on. I don't even know I was going to have a Goods Yard before I fancied building a Goods Shed

you can even go mad and have fun making your own roof beams out of real wood (coffee stirrers) even though they'll never be seen - unless the camera is right in the door

post-15693-0-81849600-1391552800.jpg

Edited by freebs
  • Like 3

Good post, Andy. Kind of sums things up. The only way is to be positive - the lows make the highs SO much better.

Come on, Rob. We need another cracking photo to cheer us up!

Jeff

Aye, photos will be forthcoming, am working on a NEW shed diorama with different angles, slightly,  and have the following to photograph:

weathered N15 30778

heavily weathered A3 St Gatien

weathered Black 5 45190

heavily weathered Spamcan 34107 fully detailed (rare for me!) even has cylinder drains and steps on.

heavily weathered L1s  LNER green and BR early crest

weathered Standard 5MT 4-5-0 73030

I think there are others I've forgotten, like a Q1 0-6-0 which is BEST FORGOTTEN heavily weathered of course.

I did this about 16 months ago and will use a bit of it in the new pics perhaps;

post-7929-0-73792600-1391552900_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here we go Lunesters, a bit of West Riding filth (of the caked in soot variety)

Farnley Burton was in the middle of West Riding Woolen industry, just outside Huddersfield, and the air was thick with smoke, so it's understandable really that the Goods shed was stained with decades worth of soot and smoke...

post-15693-0-81088600-1391559009.jpg

Just finished this tonight (this morning) and I really must leave it alone now :)

Hope you don't mind me squeezing it in, but look how much fun you can have making something with nowhere for it to go....

• Like 3

Beautiful!

...but even Salisbury, or something resembling it, can have late-BR-era soot and smoke too.

Jeff and Andy will see the light eventually....  I might be doing something more like Huddersfield or some LNER 01 2-8-0 shed scene shortly...   I actually want to think of a semi-rural shed scene for engine portraits.

post-7929-0-09573000-1391571601_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

It was 29 years for me, worth waiting for as my models are better now than then, mainly through the better choice of materials now and not my diminishing dexterity and eyesight. :mosking:

Very Good young Sir, but I haven't got 29 years left in me :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Andy :O

• RMweb Premium

I've thought of something you can be getting on with Jeff, something that doesn't (yet) require any modelling as that is on hold until you come here in two weeks time.

A few pages back, you asked about the formation of passenger services on the line and what coaches would be used for those. Expand that to the make-up of your average freight and it seems to me that you can derive many hours of pleasure by looking at photos and trying to ascertain what was used, how the trains were made up, etc.

For instance, in 'London Midland - Steam in the Northern Fells' (which I know you have):

Page 30 shows 4F 44241 on a down goods. The train is made up of a mixture of 7 & 8 plank wagons (likely to be ex- Private Owner - available from Bachmann in grey with a P prefix, if you don't want to go down the kit building route yet), many of which have tarpaulins covering the load. Mixed in, but very few in number, are a handful of vans; these are placed seemingly randomly throughout the train (rather than all being next to the loco).

Page 31, and there is a shot of Fairburn 2-6-4T on a local passenger service which looks to my untrained eye to be made up of Stanier period 3 corridor coaches, the brake being the centre coach. Maybe not the most accurate (as in which exact coaches should be used) but Bachmann do a Fairburn and Hornby do the Stanier period 3 coaches (and very nice they are too).

Page 42, Black Five 44675 on the Appleby to Willesden milk train. From the engine back, there are five milk tankers, a BR brake van and a collection of bogie parcels vans on the back

Page 44, Black Five 44852 on a pick-up goods heading for Skipton. From the engine back, there is a bogie bolster, three vans, another bogie bolster, a row of tank wagons (not sure what is in them but they look like the ones that Hornby do / did), barrier wagon and brake van.

I'm not even modelling the S&C and I enjoyed doing the above :)

I don't think you should buy any more locos this year. Coaches, parcels stock and wagons galore is what you need to be concentrating on. No point having loads of locos if there is nowt for them to pull (unless you have changed your mind and now want to model a shed instead).

• Like 2