Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Blimey - I lose my wi-fi connection and all hell breaks loose on here.

Back on the dreaded phone at the mo.

And Mike - you've got me humming that damn tune ("You tak' the high road....")

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hey if there's some Al bashing going on ......can I join in.........hang on I have a nice big tree to club him with  :jester:

Behave yourself or I'll have to get Kal to rate your post as "Disagree" or "Indecipherable".....  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

How can YOU say that!!!! YOU put a friendly supportive on it  :sarcastichand:

(oooh goody the emote icons have gone back to not having a separate tab)

See how NICE I was to you I didn't put a DISAGREE on YOU.............LMAO

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Gold

You need a day at Pendon my friend, LOVELY, :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bodge :scratchhead:

In 1962 I discovered the Railway Modeller one issue had a picture of Pendon. I cycled out (too young to drive) to Pendon. In those days it was a black hut containing the viaduct scene a Roy would chat to the few visitors and bring out some of his buildings absolute magic.

Don

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

One of the advantages of living in Oxford was that Pendon was so close by, something I took advantage of by visiting quite regularly; Sofia loved it (she was blown away by the Vale scene on our first visit).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I lived in Abingdon from 1979 to 1981. At the time I had little interest in model railways and no idea that Pendon even existed..... Just down the road!

Looking back I think of all the missed opportunities.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've just been scanning through a load of photos of the actual Kirkby Stephen West layout, built by Ian Macdonald.

Came across the photo below, which gives a feeling of what the appearance of the KL2 underbridge may look like. Thanks Ian.

post-13778-0-05601700-1391433527_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

That's really beautiful

It's a very effective feature, isn't it? And I've driven under the real thing hundreds of times to know it's a good representation (the road surface is a bit rougher!)

Ian's layout is an absolute gem. I've his entire research collection - photos, books, exhibition pics etc. I'm authorised to use them as I see fit - so I occasionally drop one of Ian's pics in, where appropriate!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been trying to work out how I can easily lift my entire track level up to incorporate an under bridge - such a lovely feature. But alas I can't think of an easy way without starting all over again

I'm guessing your baseboard has a solid top, Lee?

Or there are underboard wires in the way?

I've always been a fan of scenic level variations, though this will be my first underbridge.

Jeff

EDIT: Take some pics, post them on here and let's have a look.....

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff, a few of pics from KSW at the Mansfield show last year.

post-9335-0-04222100-1391442906_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-71434700-1391442945_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-61001600-1391442961_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-01467900-1391443033_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-64231400-1391443070_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-81989700-1391443113_thumb.jpg

Some I may have posted before in which case I apologize profusely Young Sir.

Everything else I have is on Video so I may try to put a short compilation together for here.

Andy :sungum:

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Lee, depending on your trackplan and your joinery skills, it wouldn't be difficult to fit an underbridge in. But you'd need a suitable place to put it, and it looks like it'd have to go on the side opposite the station because of your sidings.

I've scanned through your thread - great work on the buildings (I don't think they look too dark!!) - it's not clear where you might put the bridge. And you'd have to "open" up your board in the vicinity, which may be more trouble than you're prepared to put up with!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I have just found the Video that I posted on here before but its got CONTAMINATED, and so if you can find it through your index it would have been just after March 2013. I am sure I posted it in here or the Lounge. If you can't find it I will do a new one from the bits I have.

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Andy, it took a bit of finding, but relevant posts to KSW that you posted in March last year are:

KL #4726 (page 190) , Lounge #663  video #666 (page 27)

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Interesting to see a pair of LMS 10000s going head to head from about 1.07 into the video.

Oh dear, it may be something else to buy!!

Jeff

Not for me Jeff, never did like them much but I love them in comparison to the dreaded Fell 4-2-2-2-4 or 4-8-4 or whatever it was, I definitely would have made microwave ovens out of that monstrosity!