Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Forgot to add, use  a power drill as opposed to a cordless, you need a fast speed revolution to avoid breakout.

Thanks for that, Mike.

When I eventually get some perspex I'll conduct a few trial drillings on offcuts to see how it goes. 

Duncan - the masking tape is a good idea to help with the marking out.

I'll let you know the results - in about a year's time!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

I everything goes to plan :jester:  :jester: :jester:  I should be able to do a step by step. 

Duncan

Yes, I'm looking forward to producing step-by-step sequences again, once everything gets started. I know people find them interesting to look at, and many of my favourite threads (Far North Line, Bacup, Dent, Bakewell, Greenfield, The Old Road, Camden Shed, AV, Goathland, Bodge's and George T's etc - to name a few) do this.

Always better than seeing an end product just appear "out of the hat"!!

Jeff

I suspect it'll be quiet on here today with Stafford attracting a fair few Lunesters. Hoping for plenty of pics later.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That's kind of you Jeff - I didn't know Camden rated in such company as that!

I've not posted much on KL (I've not posted a lot anywhere to be honest!) but I follow every day or so (I'd never keep up if I left it any longer....)

I'm really intrigued to see KL2 take shape in due course. At some point soon we hope to build our own place, and a home for Camden Shed is a priority, whether in current form or v2. So there is much to interest me as the RMWeb equivalent of War and Peace racks up the pages.

Iain

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Iain.

Don't put Camden down - it's an excellent bit of work (I'd enjoy it for the trackwork alone!).

I love the description of KL as "War and Peace" - heaven knows how many pages it'll reach by the time KL2's been going for a while!

I'd give you a couple of likes and a couple of funnys for that post if I was able!

Jeff

I wanted to get some pics of Dentdale today but it was busy and the I FORGOT. :no: :no: :no: :no:

But it shows how much room a proper Viaduct needs to look right, it must have taken up nearly 4 ft in N Gauge.

And :senile: :senile:

• RMweb Premium

I wanted to get some pics of Dentdale today but it was busy and the I FORGOT. :no: :no: :no: :no:

But it shows how much room a proper Viaduct needs to look right, it must have taken up nearly 4 ft in N Gauge.

And :senile: :senile:

Shame about the pics. But you are right. I still have the urge to do away with the underbridge and construct the 9 arch curved viaduct. That would come out at around 7 ft in 00.

I guess I'm just crazy!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ooh!

A 7' long viaduct, lovely!!!

But, the underbridge would like good too.

The choice is yours!

Cheers,

John E.

Yes, what a choice to have to make. 

I think the underbridge will end up getting the nod for a couple of reasons. First, if I build a larger viaduct, it's a lot of (very enjoyable) effort but it'll make the current 6-archer redundant, and I don't really want that. And second, the underbridge - with its associated banking - is another interesting feature that fits better into the landscape adjoining the existing viaduct.

I can see a situation where I build a very large viaduct as a centrepiece for a diorama. That would be fun!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I know I keep piping on about it but the road bridge at the north end of KS is a key feature and much more fitting for the location than the viaduct (as nice as large viaducts are). Also, every time you drive under the real thing, you can think 'I've modelled this' which will be really rewarding.

When I finally made my pilgrimage to Bacup, it was immensely satisfying to see the buildings i had modelled in real life for the first time.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I know I keep piping on about it but the road bridge at the north end of KS is a key feature and much more fitting for the location than the viaduct (as nice as large viaducts are). Also, every time you drive under the real thing, you can think 'I've modelled this' which will be really rewarding.

When I finally made my pilgrimage to Bacup, it was immensely satisfying to see the buildings i had modelled in real life for the first time.

You are RIGHT to bang on about it, Jason.

The prototype is sitting there, waiting for me to use it and I drive under that bridge more than a dozen times a year.

It's a no brainer, really.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here are 3 pics showing the location of the underbridge.

The first 2 showing its position relative to the end of the platforms, the third showing the roadside view.

Photos courtesy of Ian Macdonald (Kirkby Stephen West).

post-13778-0-17424700-1391344306_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-96717100-1391344316_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-17185000-1391344322_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 3

No Brainer, The road bridge would win EVERY TIME, and if you need a Viaduct for a Photographic centre piece then I have JUST THE THING, is sitting hear waiting for a GOOD HOME. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

And :O

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No Brainer, The road bridge would win EVERY TIME, and if you need a Viaduct for a Photographic centre piece then I have JUST THE THING, is sitting hear waiting for a GOOD HOME. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

And :O

Yes, I think there's no argument about it. The underbridge allows some nice variation in height, a different feature for the layout and is prototypical.

A few years ago I wouldn't have been swayed by the last point, but the "material" is staring me in the face, so why not make use of it?

Jeff

And if you can follow the lead of Jason and Al, you will copy it to the last rivet, or you could just make it so it looks about right and fits your location, that would be MY WAY but then I am the king of BODGIT :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead: 

aNDE :nono:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And if you can follow the lead of Jason and Al, you will copy it to the last rivet, or you could just make it so it looks about right and fits your location, that would be MY WAY but then I am the king of BODGIT :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

MY WAY, too, Andy.

Jeff, aka Frank Sinatra

• RMweb Gold

It is funny but my experience of drilling perspex is quite different drilling small holes say up to 6mm I found that high speed caused softening of the perspex and clogging of the drill. A slow speed worked better. For large holes I would use my hole saws.

Don

Hi Jeff,

I'm in agreement, the underbridge does it for me. I'll take the high road (Coal Road overbridge) - and - you take the low road (KS underbridge) and I'll be in Carlisle afore ye'

All I need is a good tune for that bit.

• RMweb Gold

Oy, are you accusing me of being a rivet-counter? :O

How very dare you...

:D