Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

I know you are not yet into kit building but Nucast used to make quite a range of whitemetal kits to run on R-T-R chassis.  They are now only available via eBay but if you like a loco and there is no R-T-R but they do one then it would be worth a go.

As to what you run, I have no idea but if it was me I would run something that was distinctly NER and not a BR standard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I knew I could rely on you guys for a set of sensible suggestions.

Alan, the period is variable; somewhere around 1956 to 1968 would encompass it.

Jason - at the moment I can't tell my J  eff's from my J  ason's, so I'll need to do some studying to get the feel of things, even if such aren't available RTR. It'll do my education a bit of good anyway. Teach me that the whole world doesn't revolve around the S&C!

That rogue McGavin will have me running Battle of Britain and MNs, if he has his way!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I actually rode over Stainmore in 1956 at a tender age and can't remember anything about the day apart from changing trains at Appleby.  However my fathers trainspotting diary records what pulled us and it was a BR Standard.  I'll dig out the number.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I know you are not yet into kit building but Nucast used to make quite a range of whitemetal kits to run on R-T-R chassis.  They are now only available via eBay but if you like a loco and there is no R-T-R but they do one then it would be worth a go.

As to what you run, I have no idea but if it was me I would run something that was distinctly NER and not a BR standard.

Very sensible, Chris. Will worry about the specifics when the NER is up-and-running, but you are probably right.

I might have to commission Jason to build something for me!  :D  :D

Jeff

I knew I could rely on you guys for a set of sensible suggestions.

Alan, the period is variable; somewhere around 1956 to 1968 would encompass it.

Jason - at the moment I can't tell my J  eff's from my J  ason's, so I'll need to do some studying to get the feel of things, even if such aren't available RTR. It'll do my education a bit of good anyway. Teach me that the whole world doesn't revolve around the S&C!

That rogue McGavin will have me running Battle of Britain and MNs, if he has his way!

Jeff

Or hows abouty a 4CEP or 2BIL?

Bodgit :sungum:

Its silly o'clock :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I actually rode over Stainmore in 1956 at a tender age and can't remember anything about the day apart from changing trains at Appleby.  However my fathers trainspotting diary records what pulled us and it was a BR Standard.  I'll dig out the number.

Jamie

Yes, please..... always eager for something I CAN BUY!!!!

Jeff

Let's commission Jason to do everything. He has spare time, while we at the coal face.... 

oh  no,  wait,

(sun shining outside after a summer shower. Coal face indeed!)

Actually Jeff I don't have any preferences about areas modelled, but lobby for the LSWR or SEC because of DUTY...

• RMweb Premium

All sensible model railways are 1948-64    ....   that I was growing up then is entirely co-incidental.

Or hows abouty a 4CEP or 2BIL?

Its silly o'clock :O

Bl**dy hell, what's going on here?!!!

Looks like I've woken up the zombies..... Hi Rob, I was just saying....

Bodge - what are you on about? 2-BIL or not to build, that is NOT the question. Well, you did say it was silly o'clock!

Apologies to our more sensible brethren for whom a little humour is a face-cracking experience!  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O

Jeff

Ref post 10303

What ultimately runs will be up to you - and you've got a good timescale (mid 50s-  mid 60) to have plenty of variety.

Bet you're also relieved to get a discussion going other than on track plans !

Have you seen the various Youtube videos of the 00 gauge layout Stainmore Summit? A good layout and operated prototypically with bankers being detached at the summit box etc.

I cant post a link to Youtube either at the moment - although not sure if it would be copyright.

I'm a great fan of any railway running through the hills... (I even looked at the possibility building Princetown many years ago) and although I love the scenery and the architecture, what always let down the Stainmore route, for me, was the small engine policy. 1950s authenticity means 2-6-0s and 0-6-0s and unfortunately IMO J21s and J25s look a bit weak and weedy. (going to offend someone here)

If it's ex NER steam then it's got to be Sunderland South Dock Q6s and J27s slogging up the 1 in 37 Seaton Bank - heaven!

Alan

Edited by 60091

• RMweb Premium

I've been having a look at what you may be able to use RTR, the main contenders being Ivatt Mickey Mouse and Mucky duck Moguls (2-6-0's) and Standard 3MT and 4MT's (of the mogul variety). For DMU's, it looks like the Class 101's may have been used (certainly looks like it in the below set of shots although it could be one of the earlier lightweight versions?). There is a shot of a Black Five in there but it is at Kirkby Stephen East on a railtour and it may have only ventured that far; I've never seen another shot of a 5 on the line.

http://www.cumbria-railways.co.uk/stainmore_railway_company_photos.html

Moguls, Moguls and more Moguls :)

http://www.stainmore150.co.uk/stainmore_story/BR_standards.html

Metro Cammell DMU. The 40 in the pic below (and mention of 31's and 26's) are a bit of a red herring as these were used on the truncated line to Warcop Army Base (on the remaining line from Appleby) long after the rest of the Stainmore route had closed

http://www.stainmore150.co.uk/stainmore_story/diesel_era.html

Another red herring; a Class 46 on a trip working to Warcop in 1983:

The Ivatt 2MT, 3MT, Standard 3 and Standard 4 (all 2-6-0's) are or have been produced by Bachmann; the 101 is on it's way some time in 2014.

The Standard 2MT's (2-6-0) were used on the line and Mike Edge (Judith Edge Kits) is to produce a conversion kit to model one using the Ivatt 2MT as the base. Having seen Tim working on the prototype for this conversion kit, it's mainly the cab and tender cab that are changed, with the Bachmann one being removeable (it just pulls off - carefully) and the folded and soldered replacement slotting in. It's obviously not quite that easy, but it doesn't look to be too taxing and the Ivatt 2MT's can be picked up relatively cheap, especially if you look for bargains on the LMS liveried ones (that I don't think sold as well). 

The other locos that were used, especially in earlier days, were the J21 and J25. Although one of these would really set the scene (and the pre-grouping locos are beautiful looking compared to their later replacements), there wouldn't have been many left running on the line towards the end of it's existence so you could get away without running them, all things considered. But, they are lovely :)

London Road Models do a kit of each.

http://www.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/locos-tenders-chassis/north-eastern/

And just for Duncan, for some bizarre reason, they have a Thumper and other Southern 'Mk1's with electric motors' on the now preserved Eden Valley Line (which is at Warcop but I think the plan is to open as far as KS East one day)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpmDDRPs8RE

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well Jason, you HAVE been a busy lad! Do you ever sleep? I thought my nocturnal habits were bad!

Thanks for the plethora of information. It looks like there's plenty to keep me happy and plenty to run on that line.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, isn't it boreing with NO TRAINS TO RUN, all mine are now packed away again and I'm sorting out all the boxes and re packing ready for the move.

With the amount of work to do on the Bungalow we have decided to put almost all our stuff into storage until the work is completed and that includes The Potting Shed. It will make life easier than keep moving boxes and furniture to decorate and lay carpets all through.

The same with the Shed as I would have to empty it to do the floor and Feb / Mar is renowned for Snow and Rain.

Off back to watch J's Videos now.

• RMweb Premium

Hey Jeff, isn't it boreing with NO TRAINS TO RUN, all mine are now packed away again and I'm sorting out all the boxes and re packing ready for the move.

With the amount of work to do on the Bungalow we have decided to put almost all our stuff into storage until the work is completed and that includes The Potting Shed. It will make life easier than keep moving boxes and furniture to decorate and lay carpets all through.

The same with the Shed as I would have to empty it to do the floor and Feb / Mar is renowned for Snow and Rain.

Off back to watch J's Videos now.

Sorry if my replies are delayed - I'm only paying intermittent attention to the laptop as I've a number of jobs to do.

Yes, very boring without the trains. I had 3 viewings last night and each viewing asked me what had been in the bunker as we stood in the empty room. It was quite hard to explain what had been there without feeling regret for what I'd done. My next door neighbour thinks I'm crazy to have sacrificed all that work, whatever my reasons!

Oh well, we'll just have to do lots of talking to keep our spirits up.

Jeff

Hi Jason, I remember 205009 the Thumper at Fareham before they electrified the Botley line and then it went to the Limington Branch. I think its the one Kernow used for their model.

Great vids I did like the 46, I ordered the sound 45, 45005, Cross Fell, but cancelled it, watching that I wish I had kept it.

Bodge :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

What is funny is the fact that when you had the layout, most of the time you never actually ran trains as you were working on it but now you don't have the opportunity, you want to. It is quite rare that I power up Bacup, as I sort of prefer modelling to playing trains.

Think of a layout as a distraction and how much you can get done before the next one comes to fruition. Buildings, rolling stock, bridges, signals (!!!); all items that if done prior to the wood cutting and track laying stage, will actually enable you to reach completion earlier.

Jeff, Jason has made a very valid point and one that also applies to me in many ways.

You will have the equivalent of a ready to plant Station Building, Goods Shed, Signal Box etc and any other buildings that can be built over the winter.

The track laying should also be a lot quicker than on KL1 as you will NOT be learning as you go, you also know all about Cobolts and point wiring, track cutting, laying, cork, etc.

In fact you may even beat me next time, :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: hahhaha

I'll put the coffee on :no:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Jason has made a very valid point and one that also applies to me in many ways.

You will have the equivalent of a ready to plant Station Building, Goods Shed, Signal Box etc and any other buildings that can be built over the winter.

The track laying should also be a lot quicker than on KL1 as you will NOT be learning as you go, you also know all about Cobolts and point wiring, track cutting, laying, cork, etc.

In fact you may even beat me next time, :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: hahhaha

I'll put the coffee on :no:

I don't think that's possible!!

Just about to have a quick read of the "How to build a layout" supplement from the Jan 14 BRM. Then on to the next task.

I think the first task, in the New Year, will be my attempt to build the station. The 9 arch viaduct is too large now, given the need for embankments, so a smaller 3 arch for the bottom will also be on the agenda.

Enjoy your cinnamon cake!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I don't think that's possible!!

Just about to have a quick read of the "How to build a layout" supplement from the Jan 14 BRM. Then on to the next task.

I think the first task, in the New Year, will be my attempt to build the station. The 9 arch viaduct is too large now, given the need for embankments, so a smaller 3 arch for the bottom will also be on the agenda.

Enjoy your cinnamon cake!

Jeff

Best not get too involved in building viaducts until the layout plan is settled (unintentional pun) and you know what radius it has to be.

• RMweb Premium

Best not get too involved in building viaducts until the layout plan is settled (unintentional pun) and you know what radius it has to be.

Very true.

I'll be using the existing 6 archer at the north end, with the new one at the foot of the layout.

If it was a straight viaduct - which, of course, we've gone to great lengths to avoid, it'd be no problem.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What is funny is the fact that when you had the layout, most of the time you never actually ran trains as you were working on it but now you don't have the opportunity, you want to. It is quite rare that I power up Bacup, as I sort of prefer modelling to playing trains.

Think of a layout as a distraction and how much you can get done before the next one comes to fruition. Buildings, rolling stock, bridges, signals (!!!); all items that if done prior to the wood cutting and track laying stage, will actually enable you to reach completion earlier.

You are quite right there!

However, I do have a solution.... I left the ballasted track on top of the main viaduct to help set the curve when I rebuild KL. I can always attach a couple of wires and run locos over 4' back and forward. Better than nothing!

Jeff

• Like 1